School me on hearing protection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on hearing protection.

Being around loud noises, hunting without HP when I was young, so on and so forth...My plant physician has encouraged me to get hearing protection/hearing aid.

Teach me.

Thanx Calvin

For work or hunting?
    I like my Walkers Razors for bird hunting. After a while you dont notice them.
    There are also custom molded in ear type that I would like to try but they are pricey.

Comment

Dead Air. Nuff said

Honestly I don’t have anything to add to the conversation. I use Surefire ear plugs when shooting, and they work well enough.

Comment

I like electronic ear muffs for the range. You can hear conversations easily. If at an indoor range, I wear ear plugs and electronic muffs just because of the intense sound reverberations. Hunting, I use a suppressed rifle.

Comment

Say again ;-)

In for the learning im in the same boat as the OP

Comment

Im new but have profound hearing loss so i thought i would comment.

if you are being told to get real hearing aids, I have had good results with Starkey and Audibel since 2007. But the prices are ridiculous. However, each ear is programmed for your specific hearing loss and they work well. go cic or invisible, they will try to talk you into the over the ear but those get knocked off and beat up and visible if you worry about that...they do have good mics tho.

For hearing protection I use molded made for my ear protection inserts. You can get at some gun show booths (like Tanner in Denver) they do the whole ear mold and make right there while you wait. an audiologist can also make. gunshows are cheaper cost for this..

When i misplace my molded (like right now) I will use foam inserts the round orange or blue ones and then some really good 3M or other branded headphone type .

I have found even better inserts for the ear to block everything from motorcycle riding ...they are the best for shutting down all noise, put some headphones over this and I would imagine it what being deaf would be like...i cant find the name of them and my motorcycle and those plugs are out of state where i ride

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
              For work or hunting?
              I like my Walkers Razors for bird hunting. After a while you dont notice them.
              There are also custom molded in ear type that I would like to try but they are pricey.
              Hunting, shooting. Had a physical today at work and the Audiologist recommended "SoundGear"

Comment

I have a substantial loss in my left ear dating back about 60 yrs when a Black Cat in my left hand went off prematurely about 6” from my ear in mid-throw. So, with two hearing aids I am still nearly deaf in a noisy environment such as a restaurant or even the car. I have custom molded ear plugs which go under my muffs when shooting and I wear the EAR cushions (sponge-type plugs) when mowing and weed-eating. Hearing loss is no joke and even with high-guality hearing aids you will still be “hard of hearing” and no, docs don’t credit any of the loss to my flying.

Comment

MSA Sordin electronic earpro are among the best, they ain't cheap though, they run $200-300

Peltor RangeGuards are nice too, I think they are around $60, the same price as the Howard Leights but waaaaay better. If you have a big melon head like me the Howard Leights dont seal worth a crap.

When shooting unmanned or around other shooters I double up with foam earplugs and my Sordins, when shooting by myself with a can I usually just use my Sordins

When I'm hunting with a rifle I have a pair of those corded rubbery ear plugs around my neck at all times or if I'm in a blind I'll have my Sordins with me so I can throw them on before shooting. You almost always have time to put ear plugs in before shooting

Comment

I don’t use anything. I had both eardrums blown out in 2003 when a grenade went off about 5ft from me. I had no balance for about 3 weeks but now I have a really good excuse to ignore my wife when she is talking. Wouldn’t trade my hearing loss for nothing....[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am considering wearing plugs when hunting this year (or something)

Hearing loss is prevalent in my little sub-culture up here. Lots of guys duck hunt 40-60 days a season and it’s bad on the ears. You really need to be able to hear to call, and my grandpa and dad both had/ have had hearing loss as a result.

I probably only go 25-40 days a year, but that will do the trick in tight quarters, even in the woods.

Comment

A .357 Sig round is the best I’ve found for screw in ear plugs

Plant may not agree

Comment

I can't hear for ****.....and we shoot a lot, so I do try to protect what I have left.

I've had the custom plugs made, but I don't really like them other than when I'm at an indoor range. They make my tinnitus really noticeable, more so than a soft ear plug because they are a harder plastic.

Even at the range, I wear them and a pair of these.

They aren't the best available, but we probably have about five or six pairs, so there is always one handy. For shooting outside, I just pop on the Walkers.

A cheap set is better than no set.

We also carry a bottle of the foam ones with us most of the time.

The best thing, by far though, is the collection of suppressors that we are slowly building.
                          Last edited by Atfulldraw; 08-23-2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I always have my little orange ear plugs around my neck while at the ranch.. it's part of my routine, i keep them in my hunting pack and if i get out ammo for any of my guns i'm putting them around my neck. i hunted for 30 years without but I'm so glad i started wearing them. it only takes a split second to put them in if a shot opportunity steps out..

Also while working on my jeep in the garage, if i'm hammering, grinding rust or just about anything i put in ear plugs. My ears ring all day long and i don't want it to get worse.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Otto NoizeBarrier Micro. Enhance sound so you can hear and block the sound that is to loud. They are not hot like over the ear. They are expensive, but then again what is your hearing worth.

I get to...

Comment

Working...
                              X