The NRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NRA

What do you think will happen with the NRA? Wayne LaPierre and his gang of executives are under scrutiny from members. Conflict of interest with their advertising agency. Monkey business with funds. Expensive trips, expensive suits, buying houses for executives, girlfriend largesse etc. Money money money. Increasing criticism from the conservative side of the aisle too. And now Trump is acting kind of cool towards them lately. Are they losing their clout?

My membership renewal is up this month. I feel I can't justify it any more. Seems like my yearly membership money just goes towards mailings begging me for more money and some lousy magazine. A lot of my buddies feel the same way and have let their membership lapse. Don't get me wrong, the NRA does a lot of positive things but they should definitely get their act together. Pressures on them to clean house.

Heard on the news that every time there is a mass shooting or similar incident new membership climbs. Not this time though. New membership and renewals are down. I hope they get the message.

I think like with all things, they've gotten away from their original premise. Now, it's about money and corruption. I've never joined the NRA - none of my friends (30 and under) have even seriously considered doing so. It's a dying organization

Comment

By no means am I defending their actions, however what is the alternative? If these politicians aren't getting money pumped into their pockets to vote against any gun legislation that infringes on our rights, than they have no incentive to do so. Many politicians don't care if the gun laws are stricter or not. They're just going to vote based on who pays them the most. I don't know of another organization that has as much influence in Washington that is fighting for gun rights. Now more than ever we as gun owners have to ensure that we don't go down a slippery slope.

Comment

I'm sure the NRA will survive this. While I disagree with what is happening now, it is not the first time in their history this happened. I wish La Pierre would step aside just to show the membership that the organization wants a clean slate. The issues are getting sloppy.

I'm a Life Member and I'm glad to be one. The NRA is the elephant in the room when it comes to defending our 2A rights. Yes, there are others but they do not have the cannons the NRA has.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
          I think like with all things, they've gotten away from their original premise. Now, it's about money and corruption. I've never joined the NRA - none of my friends (30 and under) have even seriously considered doing so. It's a dying organization
          Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
          By no means am I defending their actions, however what is the alternative? If these politicians aren't getting money pumped into their pockets to vote against any gun legislation that infringes on our rights, than they have no incentive to do so. Many politicians don't care if the gun laws are stricter or not. They're just going to vote based on who pays them the most. I don't know of another organization that has as much influence in Washington that is fighting for gun rights. Now more than ever we as gun owners have to ensure that we don't go down a slippery slope.
          True on both accounts....I can’t really add much except to say I have to keep believing and supporting them. After all, they are about the only organization in our corner. Unfortunately, they are just like our country........rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            I'm sure the NRA will survive this. While I disagree with what is happening now, it is not the first time in their history this happened. I wish La Pierre would step aside just to show the membership that the organization wants a clean slate. The issues are getting sloppy.

I'm a Life Member and I'm glad to be one. The NRA is the elephant in the room when it comes to defending our 2A rights. Yes, there are others but they do not have the cannons the NRA has.
            This. At the end of the day there are millions of NRA members which influences politicians.

Comment

Like you I'm on the fence in continuing to support the NRA.

I've been looking at the other groups that are pro 2nd amendment.

Gun Owners of America does not compromise on the 2nd amendment.

My suggestion is to do your research and determine who you want to support.

Pro-gun organizations are on the frontline of the war for our 2nd Amendment rights. Donate to these pro-gun organizations and help restore our 2nd Amendment rights.
              Last edited by hopedale; 08-09-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                I feel the same way. I don’t know any of my friends that are members (~30 age group).

You’d have to have better propaganda than they have to get me to pay rich guys to pay other rich guys for something that I’m guaranteed by a constitutional amendment.

Comment

Wayne Lapierre is holding the organization hostage while he and some other people fleece it dry. If he cared one iota about gun rights he'd step down, but he won't because he doesn't care. The whole organization needs a good enema.

Comment

The NRA has way too much invested in the fight to ever want to really win it.

It's done good things, and it's done some really bad things that it's never come to terms with and admitted they really screwed up.

The NRA has also done a really poor job of spreading the message to folks who dont fit the stereotypical image of an NRA member and like it or not that's probably the most important thing that we could possibly do to maintain our rights in the current political climate.

I honestly dont know if the organization will be willing to do what it takes to save itself and maintain its relevance.

Comment

Sounds like they are fighting the universal checks coming at us...it's going to be interesting to see if the law makers can even agree on the language.

I kinda suspect membership will surge some as the chatter builds??

Comment

I’ve been saying the same stuff for years.

Comment

I'm against ANY special interest group involved in politics. I give enough money to Ruger, Sig, Remington et al. Let them figure out how to lobby to support their industry. At least they actually provide a return on my investment.

I don't need any more fat cat bureaucrats to squander my hard earned money.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                            I'm against ANY special interest group involved in politics. I give enough money to Ruger, Sig, Remington et al. Let them figure out how to lobby to support their industry. At least they actually provide a return on my investment.

I don't need any more fat cat bureaucrats to squander my hard earned money.
                            Fine the rest of us will continue to fund the fight for your rights.

Comment

I think as long as Democrats despise them then they are doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                              X