First Attempt - Box Style Hog Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Attempt - Box Style Hog Trap

As the title states I started building my first box style pig trap. She's gonna be a little bigger than expected but bigger is better, right? Using 1" angle, 34" hog panel for the sides and some other paneling with 4" squares for the floor and roof. This one will have a spring loaded swinging door and depending on how well I like it the next will either have the same or it may end up with a root door. Final dimensions will be 5' wide x 35" tall x 8' deep. One thing this will have that I haven't seen many others have is a rear door for easier extraction of dead piggies and hopefully a less stressful way to release anything caught that isn't wanted.
    Attached Files

Looking good so far

Comment

I'm going all drop doors on mine. Haven't had any luck with hogs pushing in after the door trips. I seem to have pigs more leary with the swing doors. Never tried the root door. Try it out and see how you like it though, may work better for you.

Comment

Got a little more work done today. Got the extraction hatch fabbed up and welded in place as well as the permanent part of the front in place. I was initially going to go with 3 hinges, then 3 became 4 and finally settled on 6 hinges for the extraction door. With it being probably the weakest point I wanted to do everything I could to make it as strong as possible.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good . I like the rear door idea .

Comment

Got it all finished up short of a paint job. Pretty pleased with how it turned out. For the trigger I'm using a piece of metal rod to prop the door open and a length of plastic coated metal rope running through a couple pulleys then along the floor as a trip wire.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great job

Comment

Looks great, very nice!

Comment

Looks solid so far.

I'd put another two latch pins on that top back door just for assurance. If they sense a weak place, they may work it over while your not there (corners). But that's just me too.

I'm looking forward to seeing your trapdoor spring and how your gonna rig it up.

Comment

Nice work Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great, can't wait to set it next weekend!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

like the back door idea

Comment

Looks good. Be sure and post pics of all the piggies you catch.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Working...
                              X