No brow tine bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Do you have an abundance of bucks? If so, taking them out wont hurt if they are the bottom of their age class, rack wise. If you have a lopsided doe to buck ratio then you need to leave them alone.
    This/\

Comment

Agreed

Comment

I passed a young 10 point this year thinking he would get bigger and better next year. well now just found out we are off the lease next year. and haven't got a buck this year. wish I wouldn't of passed him to let him grow

Comment

No brow tine bucks

Originally posted by butler145 View Post
          I passed a young 10 point this year thinking he would get bigger and better next year. well now just found out we are off the lease next year. and haven't got a buck this year. wish I wouldn't of passed him to let him grow

There is still time to get after him. I shoot 0 to 1 bucks a year but if I was ever told I would be off the lease next year I would make sure I tagged out on my buck tags. I know that may seem ****ty but I pass a lot of bucks for next year and 3 years down the road but in our 3 buck county I would be going home with all three buck tags filled. March 1st would be eviction notice if I was the land owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Black Ice; 12-27-2016, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Culls. No doubt.

Comment

Cull?

Comment

Originally posted by thabucknasty View Post

Cull?

If that deer is 4.5 I'm passing on him. If he is 5.5 I'm taking him as a management buck.

Comment

We do have a lot of nice young 8 pointers with brow tines that are 2.5 and 3.5. In a management aspect, wouldn't it be better to take a 3.5 4 pointer with no brow tines than taking a 1.5 spike? Trying to get our lease members to agree to this. The problem is that the LM feels that a spike is the bigger problem.

Comment

I don't see this "no brows-down" as a broad brush solution.
                    I would have trail cam shots and discuss each deer individually.

Personally, anything less than 3.5 gets a pass on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by butler145 View Post
                      Why not shoot a doe if you don't see a good buck? Why are you hung up on getting a buck even if its not one you would have shot opening day?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        There is still time to get after him. I shoot 0 to 1 bucks a year but if I was ever told I would be off the lease next year I would make sure I tagged out on my buck tags. I know that may seem ****ty but I pass a lot of bucks for next year and 3 years down the road but in our 3 buck county I would be going home with all three buck tags filled. March 1st would be eviction notice if I was the land owner.

^^^^ That's why you don't tell people until after season...

Comment

Management

We have a line of deer with 1/2-1" G1's. We shoot anything over 2.5 with that characteristic. We have plenty of young bucks with nice looking horns. We do not shoot any deer under 5 years old (unless we have a kid that is killing their first buck hunting with us).

Comment

My no brow 2yo experiments haven't worked out for the positive. Statistically they're inferior to their classmates on our place. We manage off the bottom of every age class including <2.5" yearling spikes. 1 & 2 yo age classes get managed the least. 4 yo's get hit the hardest.

If you're always working from the bottom up you're improving your chances of growing a big one. Our big deer show their potential at very early ages. We had multiple 120+" 2 yo's last year that are 165-175" at 3.

Mexico has had good luck passing their slick brow young bucks.

Comment

I had a buck that was missing his left brow as a 2, 3 and 4 year old. By lease rules, I could have "culled" him as a 3 year old. As a 4 year old, he was missing the brow but still a nice 140-ish deer and, as a 5 year old, he sprouted his other brow and was a 150-ish deer. I could have taken a "freebie" 140 at 4 years old, but it would have been a shame to "cull" him in this case.

Comment

We were gunna kill the one buck we had on camera with no brow tines. Prolly 4.5. But never ended up seeing him so we will see what he ends up like.

Comment

Working...
                                X