No announcement yet.

Average dove shooter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a decent shot last year. Maybe a bird per 3-4 shells. I have been humbled the last 2 days.

Comment

You're supposed to hit them? I've been doing it all wrong!

Comment

I have never missed a dove...y'all need to get better

What's that? You're supposed to actually SHOOT at them? Oops I seriously have never been...I've had a lot of opportunities, just haven't been able to get away when the offer is on the table

Comment

Depends on who’s shooting. Usually empty the shotgun per bird so that’s bout 45 for a limit lol

Comment

Well then, I must be a freaking awesome wingmaster cuz I went 8 birds in 11 rnds. I started 5 for 5 then hit a slump going 0 for 3 before connecting on the next 3. Lol

Comment

I have days I I shoot pretty well and I have days it’s so bad all you can do is laugh about how bad it is. But hey shooting is fun so it’s a win win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends. I have read 5-6 national average.
                Lots of difference sky busting at passing white wings and cream puff shots on mojo morning dove landing.
                Some simple advice, shoot an o/u and pick your shots. Your average and satisfaction will improve.

Comment

Depends, opening day they were everywhere and coming into my mojo like crazy so if it wasn't a perfect shot or I didn't feel like walking further I would just pass.. I got a limit with some shells still left in my first box.. sometimes I hunt around the temple area at my family place and it's all white wings that fly high and will start doing some crazy moves once they realize what's up and I might get 6 birds per box..

Comment

I really enjoy just watching the birds fly through a 12 shot barrage as 4 hunters empty their guns. There is a beauty to the dodging and darting as the bird flies by with a big grin on it's face.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                      I have huge ups and downs. I have gotten a limit in a box of shells and then given up after 3 boxes and 5 doves.
                      Same here. I went to an over/under two years ago and did much better than usual, no more throw-that-third-shot-at-a-going-away-bird just to see if a magic pellet would bring it down...so my wasted shell total dropped way down.

Comment

had a friends brother from michigan come down for a dove hunt last year. I dont know what he was expecting but he came down thinking his would drop 90% of his shots we still give him a hard time about that

Comment

My wife cusses like a sailor hunting doves. It's hilarious. 2 birds to the box.

I started hunting them every day during season at 14. Switched to an O/U 410 at 21 and pounded them every day during season for almost a decade. Doves do not like me.

Just talked a buddy into planting next year...............

Comment

I remember as a teen taking 1 box of shells and my Dads single shot 12 gauge. I'd come home with way more birds than I do now shooting my O/U and Benelli. Technology gets better and my birds per box ratio goes way down. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdShot View Post
                              Same here. I went to an over/under two years ago and did much better than usual, no more throw-that-third-shot-at-a-going-away-bird just to see if a magic pellet would bring it down...so my wasted shell total dropped way down.
                              You need change your screen name now!

Comment

One other variable... I don’t buy cheap shells, and certainly no “light” or game loads. 1 1/8 ox or up, prefer 1 1/4 Oz if I can find them on sale and I noticed my knockdown ration went up when I started shooting 7.5’s instead of 8’s. Maybe it is mental and I focus more shooting more expensive loads, but I think it’s a combination of throwing more mass at them

Comment

Working...
                                X