No announcement yet.

Aransas 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yanta61, I'm looking forward to your report from that last week. I do hope that everyone that has a opinion will voice it. Kind of keeps big brother from making the choice without us.

If it goes to TPWD, I've hunted Aransas for the last time. I would not want it to trump any of the other hunts that I apply for.

Comment

Ranch Dog the choice has already been made, the feds do not want to be troubled with doing the work it takes to sell the permits.

An issue we need addressed is with the NWR drawings the feds still run their hunts so there's no provisions for standby hunters when permitted hunters do not show up to hunt. The feds do not want to do the work to sell permits, this is why they're turning the drawings over to TPWD in the first place.
      Last edited by Thumper; 11-10-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranch_Dog View Post
        Here is an update after the close of the 1st rifle hunt. My hunting partner and I left around noon on the last day so the kill board might have a few more deer than posted. I did not see a deer, he killed a spike and saw a doe. No more deer were seen while hunting.

Hope any members that attend the 2nd and 3rd Rifle hunts will give us a report!
        There were still a handful of hunters still out when I left Wed. Two bucks had been added to the board. A spike and a 1Opt. Prettty good 1Opt.

There sure were a lot of young bucks shot on this hunt, like 9O% of them were 1.5 years old. SMH

I saw 4 different 1.5yr bucks and two small young 8pts, held off looking for something better and did not shoot a deer.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yes, that is a nice 10. Yeah, same SMH from my point of view on the young bucks but I also understand that many won't have another opportunity for venison although a case could be made for filling the bed of your truck with hogs.

I wanted to ask about any experience with the later hunts but for me it is a bit of a mute point in that it will fall into the TPWD drawing system.

Comment

Now it has 16 days to calm down and then it is my turn. See you Rifle #2 guys then.

Comment

Thumper, I will be attending the second hunt in a few days and want to fill the freezer with pork. Do you have any advice? Sit on a tripod by trails, ponds, gas easements,... or walk and spot? I used to hunt the bow hunt, but it has been years. I harvested a buck and doe, but never saw hogs. I know there are a lot there, but never found them. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's too bad that Aransas is going to the drawing system. I live closer to Laguna Atascosa and hunted it for years. Filled my freezer with pork from there. This was the first the year that I was not able to hunt there. Not my doing... I applied and didn't get picked. Local folks at Aransas who are used to buying a permit (whether archery or rifle) and have a guaranteed place to hunt are in for a shock Too bad. I am sure that it is too late to alter any decision, but who do I email to voice my disappointment?

Comment

Heading out bright and early Friday morning.

Comment

any update from the second rifle hunt...

Comment

It was HOT, it was windy, Mosquitos were absolutely horrid. Number of kills was way down. I came home empty handed.

Comment

i'm thinking the lack of posts pretty well says it all. never saw a deer while hunting.

skeeters were horrid for most places, basically average for there. felt lucky to get out with two flat tires, two pigs and a pretty good percentage of my blood.

better than holding down the couch but yeah there are easier hunts.

Comment

You're right about there being easier hunts!

Congrats on the two hogs Barney.

Any reports on the final kill numbers?

Comment

thanks Chris no hard count came out last trip w 2nd tire going back down spitting fixaflat gave pig to my new best friend that got me out of a jam and hauled to Tivolie got tire fixed

aprox ct 12 bucks 3does dozen pigs atleast as of wed 10:00 am

one 10 pt very mature prob pushing 130 in.
                          you take what she gives you and be happy.

Comment

I have a permit for the third hunt starting next Saturday but having trouble talking myself into going. .......sigh......

Comment

Originally posted by Ranch_Dog View Post
                              If it goes to TPWD, I've hunted Aransas for the last time. I would not want it to trump any of the other hunts that I apply for.
                              What do you mean by "trump any of the other hunts that I apply for"?

Comment

In that category are the other Refuge hunts: Laguna Atascosa and the two in the Lower Rio Grande System. I wouldn't apply for the Aransas because I would hate to be pulled for it over the other three which are much better hunts.

Comment

Working...
                                X