No announcement yet.

Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until they put metal detectors up at schools & gun free zones, or actually block off the area and search everyone going in, nothing will change. Putting up a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, does nothing but ease the mind of the sheep. It does absolutely nothing to protect the people inside of said "gun fee area".
    A gun free zone with zero enforcement of the "gun free zone" is only keeping the people who are legal to carry from carrying. It is a mass shooting waiting to happen.

Just like what happened today. You get someone who decides to shoot up the gun free zone, in this case a school, and is met with little to no resistance.

EDIT: When is the last time you heard of a Mass shooting at an inner city school? I cant think of one. What do most if not all inner city schools have? Metal detectors, and every person that walks in the door must go through them.
    Last edited by marshhunter; 05-18-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
      Part of the problem is the old toothpaste is out of the tube analogy. Lots of us remember attending high school in a time when we spent a ton of time pursuing shooting sports outside of school. We never dreamed of taking a gun to school for any reason. Not even the loaner types who may or may not have had mental issues. In the post Columbine world, kids copy this method of rampage suicide in what’s becoming something of a routine.

There’s always been bad parents. There’s always been kids with mental problems. The difference now is they know this is an option. This kid even bought the Columbine Coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      A few years Malcom Gladwell wrote an article about "The Columbine Effect" explaining how each of these events prompts the next one. Long read but worth it.

An increasingly ritualized form of violence is attracting unexpected perpetrators.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
        Theres always gonna be unstable kids around. Always has been.
        We gotta keep weapons out of the schools.

Sounds great.

Last I checked weapons aren’t allowed on school campuses. So what’s next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Sounds great.

Last I checked weapons aren’t allowed on school campuses. So what’s next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          A system needs to be put in place to ensure no weapons make their way onto school campuses. I dont have all the answers. Im not that smart. I just like to point out the obvious with hopes of raising awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by marshhunter View Post

EDIT: When is the last time you heard of a Mass shooting at an inner city school? I cant think of one. What do most if not all inner city schools have? Metal detectors, and every person that walks in the door must go through them.
            Seems more like a white kid problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              A few years Malcom Gladwell wrote an article about "The Columbine Effect" explaining how each of these events prompts the next one. Long read but worth it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ds-of-violence
              In my youthful days, the same was said about suicide.

Comment

Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

Loner vs loaner.

Ugh

Sorry guys, carry on.

Thanks for the link, Jerp.

Last edited by Legdog; 05-18-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  There is no reason any kid in Texas should be going back to school this year unless the school has been hardened.

They got 90+ days to get it corrected. Mark, set, GO!

This.

It should be impossible to access any school building without going through a manned metal detector.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    Seems more like a white kid problem.
                    Ha.

Plenty of white kids go to inner city schools.

Id say its more about our schools and "gun free zones" not being secured, well that and in this instance parents not raising their kids correctly/mental issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ds-of-violence

Interesting read. Thank you.

Comment

LOCK up ALL your guns and make them inaccessible to ANY children in your home is a viable option and start!! If you can't afford a safe then you can put a trigger lock on....Good Lord...it ain't rocket science!!!

Comment

There are tons of differing opinions on what should be done. However, I think just about everyone would agree that increasing security at high schools should be a priority. How much it should be hardened definitely is up for debate, but at the very least, it should be better.

Restricted access points, metal detectors, armed guards, etc. Why not? You can't walk into the county courthouse or any other gov't building without going through such security.

Heck, even a lot of private businesses have better security than schools. Badged ID access, on-site security (front desk and front gate), limited entrance/exit points, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                            LOCK up ALL your guns and make them inaccessible to ANY children in your home is a viable option and start!! If you can't afford a safe then you can put a trigger lock on....Good Lord...it ain't rocket science!!!

If a kid can’t be trusted with a gun by time he is a Sr in HS then you have bigger issues. Both my boys have their own safes in their rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
                              This! Metal detectors at the main doors!
                              Metal detectors with armed personnel at every outside door.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                If a kid can’t be trusted with a gun by time he is a Sr in HS then you have bigger issues. Both my boys have their own safes in their rooms.
                                Yep

Guns aren't the problem, one of these after schools, malls, and other public buildings look like prisons and mass killings keep happening people will learn that the issues wont be resolved by being reactionary.

Comment

Working...
                                X