No announcement yet.

Woods to the wall ... in 3 days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post Kevin. If Someone is going to spend all the money to hunt and all the time that is put into it just to save a few dollars on the taxidermy then they deserve the imminent future of bad work. If you can't afford to mount it properly just do a European mount and save some money up and have it mounted in the future.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info Texastaxi! We need more info like this.

Comment

Its funny this has been posted as this year my wife's boss had gone on the typical corporate hunting trip up in the N East and shot an Elk. I kid you not they had this thing mounted and drove it down here in less than 2 months...The mount reminded me of one you would find in an old county store, straigt on and like a kid painted it. They had also done some replacement to broken tines and it was marginal but I guess as long as the hunter (questionable on the use of hunter) is happy. My wife said we might have to store it for him at our house and I quickly responded with...that would not be allowed to be hung next to anything in my house. Taxi's are amazing at what they can do and should be paid accordingly Thanks for the great post.

Comment

These pictures aren't taken at the same angle, but the differences should be blatantly obvious. The deer on the bottom was done by our resident taxidermy sponsor, Josh (roosterpt1).

Click image for larger version

Name:	deer.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	23917931

Name:	rooster.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	23917932

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            That is one of the best posts in a long time. it always puzzles me when someone tells me I am crazy to wait 9 months to a year for taxi work when "their guy" can do it in just a few short days or weeks. It is almost impossible to tell them what is going on with their mount and what is going to happen when they get it on the wall. Maybe they will live and learn.

Thanks Texastaxi. This needs to have a sticky beside it so everyone can read it.
            My thoughts.

Thanks for the post.

Rwc

Comment

The top deers mama sure must have pulled on his ears a lot!!

Comment

Great information, Kevin. One other point on the hide tanning is that you are alot more likely to get bugs on a cape that is rough fleshed and pickled as opposed to properly tanned hides. If the bugs do occur you are very likely to lose your whole mount and others around it.

Comment

here is more of a profile,Kevin chop it up if you want

Comment

Great thread Kevin! Should save a lot of future heartaches for some of our TBH family.

Comment

3 days??
                      Hell, I am happy if I get stuff back inside of a year.
                      3 days seems crazy!
                      For starters a good taxidermist will have a lot of heads to get to before yours if he does quality work. Then if he is sending them to get tanned, he may wait until he has several skins ready to go to save on shipping, then turn around time at the tannery, then wherever your place in line falls, then mounting, then drying, then painting, then touch up...how in the heck can ANYONE do all tha in 3 days??

Comment

Here's Josh's deer in a similar position, again Josh's is the bottom one.

Name:	profile.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	23917934

Comment

The only deer I have ever seen with a red tinted noise came from Mexico

Comment

I reallly appreciate the information. I learned something today. I will take a closer look at some of the mounts I encounter.

Comment

great job on this post.....it is truly amazing the difference in quality between those when you see them side by side.

the pedestal mount is gorgeous.....someday I will have a deer worthy of doing a pedestal for.

Comment

Rooster, that is a very, very nice mount. Kudos on that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X