Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing water hose adapter on 55 gallon drum? How to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing water hose adapter on 55 gallon drum? How to?

I have a 55 gallon drum like the one in the pic. I want to install a water hose adapter on it just like the picture. What is the best way to go about this? Drill a hole, screw in a adapter, seal it??? Not sure, I'm clueless on this like a lot of things.

Next question. I also have a large metal tank that I want to put a hose adapter in. Would I do it any different from the plastic drum since it's metal.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	rainwater.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	24736011

Not sure but I would think you would want to use a bulk head fitting with a nut, washer and gasket on each side. That is how we run tubing through vessel that we can't weld on.

Comment

Bulkhead fitting is the only way that will last.... Get a 3/4" fitting and you can screw the male end of the hose directly into the fitting.

Comment

I lay the plastic ones on the side and screw a faucet in one of the plugs that has 3/4 threads in the middle. You will have to cut out center of plug so it will drain. Use teflon tape. Like this:

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I just didn't know finding a bulkhead fitting around Austin was like finding gold. Geeze, I called about a dozen places and no one carries them. Thanks again

Comment

Isn't the bung just a 2" pipe fitting? Go to any hardware or plumbing supply and buy a 2"x3/4" bushing and a 3/4" hose bibb. You can screw the hose to the bibb just like holdem did.

Comment

A Myers hub mite work with some silicone. You can get them at any electrical supply house.
              Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
              l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
              ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                Thanks for the tips. I just didn't know finding a bulkhead fitting around Austin was like finding gold. Geeze, I called about a dozen places and no one carries them. Thanks again
                This place sells the bulkhead fittings.

Heavy Duty Bulkhead Fitting 3/4" for Water Barrels, Rain Barrels, Plastic Drums and Barrels, and other heavy-duty applications where strength and durability are a necessity.
              • This Polypropylene 3/4" Bulk Head Fitting has 2 EPDM Gasket, for a secure safe inlet for your faucet on a sidewall of a container.
              • Installing Pipe Connectors, spigots, Valves, Faucets in Plastic Barrels, Plastic Drums, Plastic Rainwater Barrels, Rain Barrels, and Rain Water Drums and Barrels. Features: For use with tanks having a wall thickness of 1/16" to 1/2". External thread and nut are left-hand threads.
              • Polypropylene body & nut
              • EPDM gasket
              • Dimensions: 1.375" Hole size x 3.88" L x 2.38" W
              • Meets FDA standards
              • When installed in a tank these Polypropylene Tank Fittings add an FNPT connection for attaching tube fitting, spigots, valves, and more. To Install: Cut a hole in the tank wall with a hole saw or sharp blade, insert fitting (should fit loosely), thread on, and tighten the nut. We can install fittings in your tank or container in the position you designate, or you can buy them loose. Maximum Temperature: Polypropylene: 34°F - 140°F. Gasket meets FDA standards. Polypropylene meets NSF 61 requirements.

Comment

that is what I was thinking Joey. It isnt under pressure or anything and any hardware store should have a myers hub in electrical section.

Comment

Jay could fix it with mighty putty. He seems like a real honest guy.

https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/in...ag=mpedseag100

Comment

If you need to seal it, the epoxy putty in a stick from the HW store will seal darn near anything from transmission cases to plastics. Takes 10 minutes to get hard, and overnight to reach full strength. I 'built' the adapters from 2" copper to PVC piping on my pool when I put a heater in, and the 100F water when we run the spa/hot tub has never caused those connections to leak.

Comment

• Working...
                      X