No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've coached "select" baseball for many years the past at the highest levels. Names that included Kershaw, Walden, Tolleson, Britton, …

I now scout for Baltimore. Was drafted and played minor league baseball along with being the bullpen catcher w/ Texas for 3 years.

I could write a novel about this subject but it would take a decade.

I also have a 9 year old son with some ability.

Let's just say I coach him in rec ball this year.

Hope that tells you all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
      From a dad that went through Little League, a Little League World Series, tons of select ball, high school ball, and D1 college ball, if my opinion means anything at all, and I were to give my best recommendation to you all, it would be this:

Play league, select, and any other baseball you can, but don't make it the end-all-be-all. We parents know so little of what really goes on. We are conditioned to believe that if they don't develop, they won't get a D1 scholly and/or won't go pro.

Over the years I watched a great many of the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 year old studs wash out in high school when priorities change. I've watched many high school studs wash out quickly in college. Talent will reveal itself whether you play tons of select ball and pay millions of dollars or not.

Colleges will learn of talent whether you play select or not.

Pro scouts will see talented players whether they play select or not.

From when my kid played the only one of them that is currently in the major leagues is the one kid that stuck to Little League though every select team in Houston wanted him. He played none. By high school he was so heavily scouted that he participated in private batting practice events with MLB teams. He signed a full ride to Arizona, but went in the first round to the Angels (one slot in front of Mike Trout). He is currently the starting center fielder for the St. Luis Cardinals. Randal Grichuk.

Randal's dad and I are good friends. He will tell you the same thing. Have fun. If the talent is there, it will show and it will be seen. But don't expect that all this play will get them a D1 scholly or drafted. Only true talent does that, and again, it shows regardless.
      Agree, Talent is Talent. My son had the pleasure to play (catch) and I had the pleasure to watch Tyler & Stephen Kolek, Tyler was the #2 pick in the MLB draft and Stephen is in his first year at A&M (pitching). Tyler did not throw 100 mph until his sr. year in high school. Heck he broke his arm his jr. year and didn't play that much. I'm saying this because I got to speak with a ton of scouts and even though I was a big fan of Select baseball most of them were not.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarr View Post
        No worries bud, but when you are paying 300+ a month for a kid to play baseball that coach should be putting best product on the field. I'll get off my soap box now. Lol
        This comment sums up amatuer baseball as a whole today.

"Best product on the field" ????

At what age?

Really?

I won't even start. No offense to the author of quote, just responding to the general comment and notion on the subject.

Comment

My son plays on the 8u Elite Rawlings team. It's intense but you need to make sure it's still fun for the kids. I think our coaches do a good job of keeping it fun but challenging the kids at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeNap View Post
            This comment sums up amatuer baseball as a whole today.

"Best product on the field" ????

At what age?

Really?

I won't even start. No offense to the author of quote, just responding to the general comment and notion on the subject.
            I'm talking about a "select team" where they are suppose to take the best kids and win games not league baseball. When you pay for your kid to play on team that is put together to win what else do you expect, but for the coach to put best product on the field.

Comment

I'm talking about a "select team" where they are suppose to take the best kids and win games not league baseball. When you pay for your kid to play on team that is put together to win what else do you expect, but for the coach to put best product on the field.
              I think you missed his point. Are you paying to win games or are you paying to learn to play the game the right way with the correct fundamentals? If winning is the bottom line, then you can save a ton of money and just go purchase those $5 trophies. Teaching the kids to play hard, play the correct way, play for the competition and most importantly play to have fun. This should be way more important that winning.

Comment

All I can do is shake my head and smile.

You just don't get it.

It's ok, thousands across the country don't either.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TreeNap View Post
                  All I can do is shake my head and smile.

You just don't get it.

It's ok, thousands across the country don't either.

Best of luck!
                  Man, I get what you're saying and my son plays league ball now, due to the fact that he enjoys hunting and fishing just as much as playing baseball. Some of guys act like you know me and my son on a personal level, I'm not a parent that raises a stink at the fields, my son is usually the biggest cheerleader on the field we both enjoy the game. Maybe my opinion is different then some of you guys on what select ball is but is it worth getting upset or shaking your head and smile. Sorry for the difference in opinion, I'll just make sure not to open thread.

God bless,
                  Josh

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
                    I understand its about fundamentals, but the rules state that each kid shall play a minimum of 6 consecutive outs and one at bat. This is my first year coaching that we have these rules and it is not "Free Substitution". Only the 9 players on the field get to bat as well. I'm all for teaching kids the game, but in fairness to all the kids we need to be competitive as well. We are only 2 games in and I have parents on me about their kids sitting the bench more than others. I don't agree with the mentality that every kid should get the same amount of playing time.
                    Been there done that. Thats the parent you have to tell to hush and if they want something different then they can volunteer to coach next year.

Comment

Man, I get what you're saying and my son plays league ball now, due to the fact that he enjoys hunting and fishing just as much as playing baseball. Some of guys act like you know me and my son on a personal level, I'm not a parent that raises a stink at the fields, my son is usually the biggest cheerleader on the field we both enjoy the game. Maybe my opinion is different then some of you guys on what select ball is but is it worth getting upset or shaking your head and smile. Sorry for the difference in opinion, I'll just make sure not to open thread.

God bless,
                      Josh
                      Josh, not going to name any names here, but I know of a left hander that could chunk the ball 72 at 11, and 76 at 12. He was virtually untouchable... until he got to high school. He was still at 76 and he wasn't a big deal at all.

So, best product on the field is all relative.

Select ball can be fun and rewarding. I won't try to speak for TreeNap, but I recommend that you guys have as much fun as you can. Scholarships and draft spots will come no matter what you do, or don't do now.

Comment

Not trying to start and argument but people keep making references to Scholarships and what not... I have not seen anyone mention that the reason their kid is playing select ball is so that they can try to get them a scholarship for a big school.

I for one am fully aware that my son may not even play baseball through out school. He has fun with it. The only reason we play select is for the competitiveness.

He's already mentioned not playing select next year because he found out about the Youth Fishing League!!

Comment

We were fortunate to have a very good little league program, and, so, stayed with it until finishing the 12-year-old year. Good coaches with positive reinforcement of fundamentals, and a particularly talented group of players in our age bracket -- made it all the way to the state tournament one year. Only afterward did we get into select play. It should be noted that there are vast differences within the term "select." Our program was not out to win trophies, but rather emphasized top-notch coaching, teaching how to play the game and creating opportunities for players to lead, excel or even struggle. Roughly half a dozen kids from that program (from last year's h.s. grad class alone) including my son are now playing at the college level. Of course, there are much more "elite" programs out there -- heck we played a team in the national tournament that had 11 D1 commits on it. We lost

Point is, local availabilities should guide decisions about league vs. select. Probably, select is not that vital to an 8 year-old's development.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                            From a dad that went through Little League, a Little League World Series, tons of select ball, high school ball, and D1 college ball, if my opinion means anything at all, and I were to give my best recommendation to you all, it would be this:

Play league, select, and any other baseball you can, but don't make it the end-all-be-all. We parents know so little of what really goes on. We are conditioned to believe that if they don't develop, they won't get a D1 scholly and/or won't go pro.

Over the years I watched a great many of the 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 year old studs wash out in high school when priorities change. I've watched many high school studs wash out quickly in college. Talent will reveal itself whether you play tons of select ball and pay millions of dollars or not.

Colleges will learn of talent whether you play select or not.

Pro scouts will see talented players whether they play select or not.

From when my kid played the only one of them that is currently in the major leagues is the one kid that stuck to Little League though every select team in Houston wanted him. He played none. By high school he was so heavily scouted that he participated in private batting practice events with MLB teams. He signed a full ride to Arizona, but went in the first round to the Angels (one slot in front of Mike Trout). He is currently the starting center fielder for the St. Luis Cardinals. Randal Grichuk.

Randal's dad and I are good friends. He will tell you the same thing. Have fun. If the talent is there, it will show and it will be seen. But don't expect that all this play will get them a D1 scholly or drafted. Only true talent does that, and again, it shows regardless.
                            And this ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
                              I understand its about fundamentals, but the rules state that each kid shall play a minimum of 6 consecutive outs and one at bat. This is my first year coaching that we have these rules and it is not "Free Substitution". Only the 9 players on the field get to bat as well. I'm all for teaching kids the game, but in fairness to all the kids we need to be competitive as well. We are only 2 games in and I have parents on me about their kids sitting the bench more than others. I don't agree with the mentality that every kid should get the same amount of playing time.
                              Maybe you should be coaching a select team and not a rec team. What did you expect from 10/11u rec?
                              Last edited by ShockValue; 03-30-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                                Maybe you should be coaching a select team and not a rec team. What did you expect from 10/11u rec?

I have coached select, decided to sit out this year and how my boy does with someone else coaching. So far it's been great.

And I'm not against league ball, I really enjoy it but, I have mixed thoughts about what is "fair". I have parents telling me it is t fair that their kids sits more than others. But, I also have kids who practice 4 and 5 days a week, take lessons, and really try to be the best ball player they can. And they are very good. So it's not "fair" to them if I sit them half a game just so little Johnny gets his playing time, even though he just decided to "try" baseball this year and doesn't practice any other time than the 2-4 hours I have him during the week. That's my only complaint with the equal playing time issues.

You get out of it what you put into to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X