Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting. Prison time or Miller time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myway View Post
    No he did not. He was inside the store while shooter was yelling at the girlfriend for being parked in a HC spot. Shooter had also been warned to knock off the rent a cop BS prior to this by the store owner according to reports.
    I was talking about POST shove.
    And it doesnt matter what storeowner told him - no relevance at all other than he should have been fired.

edit: should not have said 'no relevance'...it does offer some insite to his predisposition and tendencies..so it could be used to show he was lookin for a reason...
    Last edited by systemnt; 07-23-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
      So out of curiosity what would you have done if someone was verbally raising hell to your wife or girlfriend in this situation?
      Get in between them and figure out what's going on. Most likely tell her to crawl over to the passenger seat, so I could keep myself between them while preparing to drive away. Escalating a situation into a fight or shootout is not protecting your girlfriend/spouse/kids. It is putting them in more danger. That should only happen when there is no other option.

Comment

If someone shoving you, because you're a man yelling at a lady in a car, is cause for you to fear for your life...well, you may wanna stay home from now on. The shover stopped and put his hands in his pockets, doesn't look like he's trying to continue the confrontation. IMO, the shooter was looking for a reason to shoot someone, based solely on what you can see here. It's a freaking parking spot, no matter how aggravating it is to see able bodied people using a handicap space, it certainly doesn't warrant screaming at anyone. Goodness, what a crazy situation

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          I was talking about POST shove.
          And it doesnt matter what storeowner told him - no relevance at all.
          Maybe I did not say it properly. The dead was exiting the store and never approached his vehicle other than the push. His back was actually opposite of it.
          In regards to to the shooter having previous history of starting S in the same location I would think would be relevant no?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            Dont know all the details be he pushed the heck out of that dude. Dont put your hands on people is a good rule to live by.
            YEP!

well technically.. HE was the aggressor when he laid hands on the other guy. He picked a physical confrontation with someone that was armed.
            YEP!!

Like i said..way too much info missing..
            is there a history?
            did shover say something like--goin to get my gun...I'm gonna kill you...etc etc..while walkin away?

Regardless, it was a senseless death.
            Yep!

I think it was a senseless death but I don't think there is enough info to call it justified or not. Arguing with someone including your gf or wife, even yelling, is not justification to go up and blind side someone like that. It is assault and unacceptable. That probably doesn't justify the shooting but at the same time think of all the stories we have heard about it not stopping with a shove (the shover going and getting a gun, etc.). Just because he acts like he is retreating doesn't mean he is done and/or you don't have fear for your life.
            People are crazy and I'm to the point where I assume everyone is crazy and willing/wanting to kill me. Especially after a blind sided shove like that. I'm also to the point where I'm not going to fight you anymore, I'm too old and you aren't worth the effort. If it gets to that point (including the shove) guns are coming out. With that said I can't see myself yelling at a woman for parking there.

Comment

Based on the video I saw, I think the shooter overreacted with the pull of the trigger and I am usually one to side with a shooter in a conceal carry defense situation..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Based on the video I saw, I think the shooter overreacted with the pull of the trigger and I am usually one to side with a shooter in a conceal carry defense situation..
                He's either going to have a hell of an excuse like they guy threatened to kill him as he walked away...or it was like others are sayin..he was looking for a reason to pull the trigger...
                the law will stand by him..based on how its written...
                but civil court is going to eat this guy alive.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                  That's the issue. In Florida "stand your ground" is not the same as "self defense". As long as you state you were in fear of your life your good to go. If florida only had right to self defense law, he'd likely be in jail for murder.
                  The sheriff said he can't arrest him and "just because you can doesn't mean you should". He doesn't agree with the shoot but under the stand your ground law he can be held liable and sued for arresting him.
                  Also turns out the parking lot monitor has a history of yelling at people for parking there. I'll say it again...He was looking for a reason to shoot someone. Bad deal.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                  Understand, and agree with both of your posts.

Comment

Based only off video, no.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter007 View Post
                      I feel the shooter is wrong. Seems like an abuse of the stand your ground law.
                      My first thought as well
                      Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Dont know all the details be he pushed the heck out of that dude. Dont put your hands on people is a good rule to live by.
                      Yup

I am curious to know what was said by the shover. Did he shout out a threat of death?? He didn't walk away, just backed up a step. Maybe to charge again?? We may never know...

Comment

A CHL holder has a RESPONSIBILITY to avoid confrontation, not instigate it. BECAUSE he was carrying a gun is reason enough to not instigate an argument (ie confronting somebody for parking in a handicap spot) that could potentially escalate into a physical confrontation.

IMO, the shooting was absolutely not justified, and would be a gross misapplication of the "stand your ground" defense. Death penalty is a harsh punishment for being shoved to the ground.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

well ****... the guy apparently went and got himself banned at TBH at the very least

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                            Hard to say without knowing all of the context. If i'm standing there and someone comes in and pushes me, i'm automatically assuming the worst and am going to be prepared to fight or draw if I can.

In this case it looks like there was some sort of argument (which I would never stand there and take part in with a stranger in the first place. Not saying its a condemnation but it is certainly stupid), and it looks like the pusher did not escalate any further. It actually appears the shooter contemplated the shooting after hitting the ground.

As a poster said above, not putting your hands on someone unless it is self defense is a good rule to live by. The pusher clearly committed assault, but that doesn't mean the shooting is justified.

As far as Florida law is concerned it was.

Comment

A lot are assuming he started the shouting at the woman. For all we know he just said something and she blew up on him and he was just responding back. Same type of women that would do that would park in a handicap parking spot without needing it would do that. Point is social media shouldn’t be commenting on stuff like this with partial information.

Comment

As others have said not enough info to come up with conclusion. Based purely on video, I would say no, the guy pushed him but was no longer a threat as he was walking away.

Comment

Working...
                                X