Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Stand Your Ground Shooting. Prison time or Miller time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So somebody pushes me because I’m running my mouth, I fall down on my butt and I kill someone for pushing me? The shooter should be in jail imo.

Comment

I also dont know the details, but I also dont believe that this incident should have led to a loss of life.

Comment

I think the shooter instigated the confrontation by approaching and yelling at the woman in the car for parking in a handicap spot. The guy came outside to check on his wife and shoved the guy yelling at her. The shooter then shot the guy even when he was walking away. I don't see how this is stand your ground. Why isn't it stand your ground for the guy who comes out of the store and finds a guy approaching his wife in an aggressive manner. I guess we will learn more details and see what the courts do.

Comment

Feels like a case of two wrongs don't make a right...

That dude went for his gun WAY too quick.there was 0 threat to him after he drew from what I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
            I think the shooter instigated the confrontation by approaching and yelling at the woman in the car for parking in a handicap spot. The guy came outside to check on his wife and shoved the guy yelling at her. The shooter then shot the guy even when he was walking away. I don't see how this is stand your ground. Why isn't it stand your ground for the guy who comes out of the store and finds a guy approaching his wife in an aggressive manner. I guess we will learn more details and see what the courts do.
            well technically.. HE was the aggressor when he laid hands on the other guy. He picked a physical confrontation with someone that was armed.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              well technically.. HE was the aggressor when he laid hands on the other guy. He picked a physical confrontation with someone that was armed.
              I agree. But I also don't think he was enough of a threat after the shove to deserve being shot. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Blame on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                Dont know all the details be he pushed the heck out of that dude. Dont put your hands on people is a good rule to live by.
                Totally agree. Keep your hands to yourself and you probably won't get shot.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

unless their is prior history of the two, i do not see it as justified, the shover did not appear to be going back for more, looked like he made his point and was backing off,,, also the shooter shot at least once more while the victim was obvious in full retreat,,, looks like unjustified shooting for sure after the first shot

Comment

Based solely on the video, I am having a hard time finding self-defense.

Comment

Hard to say without knowing all of the context. If i'm standing there and someone comes in and pushes me, i'm automatically assuming the worst and am going to be prepared to fight or draw if I can.

In this case it looks like there was some sort of argument (which I would never stand there and take part in with a stranger in the first place. Not saying its a condemnation but it is certainly stupid), and it looks like the pusher did not escalate any further. It actually appears the shooter contemplated the shooting after hitting the ground.

As a poster said above, not putting your hands on someone unless it is self defense is a good rule to live by. The pusher clearly committed assault, but that doesn't mean the shooting is justified.

Comment

Like i said..way too much info missing..
                        is there a history?
                        did shover say something like--goin to get my gun...I'm gonna kill you...etc etc..while walkin away?

Regardless, it was a senseless death.

Comment

No,
                          individual not in fear of his life, just pushed down,(bullying like in schools)should of walked away,(of course) possibly the people in cars there if the man acted out of his mind, or was trying to hurt families.

Is he a homeless vet asking for money,unsure, need more

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                            Hard to say without knowing all of the context. If i'm standing there and someone comes in and pushes me, i'm automatically assuming the worst and am going to be prepared to fight or draw if I can.

In this case it looks like there was some sort of argument (which I would never stand there and take part in with a stranger in the first place. Not saying its a condemnation but it is certainly stupid), and it looks like the pusher did not escalate any further. It actually appears the shooter contemplated the shooting after hitting the ground.

As a poster said above, not putting your hands on someone unless it is self defense is a good rule to live by. The pusher clearly committed assault, but that doesn't mean the shooting is justified.
                            So out of curiosity what would you have done if someone was verbally raising hell to your wife or girlfriend in this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                              Based solely on the video, I am having a hard time finding self-defense.
                              That's the issue. In Florida "stand your ground" is not the same as "self defense". As long as you state you were in fear of your life your good to go. If florida only had right to self defense law, he'd likely be in jail for murder.
                              The sheriff said he can't arrest him and "just because you can doesn't mean you should". He doesn't agree with the shoot but under the stand your ground law he can be held liable and sued for arresting him.
                              Also turns out the parking lot monitor has a history of yelling at people for parking there. I'll say it again...He was looking for a reason to shoot someone. Bad deal.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                                Like i said..way too much info missing..
                                is there a history?
                                did shover say something like--goin to get my gun...I'm gonna kill you...etc etc..while walkin away?

Regardless, it was a senseless death.
                                No he did not. He was inside the store while shooter was yelling at the girlfriend for being parked in a HC spot. Shooter had also been warned to knock off the rent a cop BS prior to this by the store owner according to reports.

Comment

Working...
                                X