No announcement yet.

Hurricane in Houston?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Update from Jeff Lindner with HCFCD.

Rain chances will be increasing as moisture begins to arrive into the area from the Gulf of Mexico

Heavy rainfall will be possible Saturday-Monday

Tropical feature (91L) continues to fester in the SW Caribbean Sea with little change in organization in the last 24 hours. Surface analysis continues to show this feature as an open trough of low pressure with no defined low level circulation. Given the proximity of this feature to the land areas of central America no development is expected through the next 48 hours. Eventually this feature will move into the Bay of Campeche and southern Gulf of Mexico Friday into Saturday. Strong wind shear of 40-50kts is currently in place across the western and southwestern Gulf of Mexico and while this shear will likely weaken some as tropical storm Bud in the eastern Pacific weakens, there is forecast to remain a good bit of shear across the western Gulf into the weekend. This should prevent any sort of defined organization to the tropical wave axis and the NHC currently gives the potential for development at a low 20% through the next 5 days.

As mentioned…regardless of development…a large plume of deep tropical moisture with PWS values of 2.0-2.5 inches will be crossing the Gulf of Mexico Friday and arriving along the TX coast Saturday-Monday. This air mass will have origins in the extreme SW Caribbean Sea and also a tap of mid and high level moisture from the remains of Bud in the eastern Pacific. Expect the air mass over SE TX to saturate Saturday with numerous showers and thunderstorms spreading inland in waves from the Gulf of Mexico. There is some decent agreement in the model guidance that the “stream” of moisture will continue to be aimed at the NW Gulf coast roughly between Matagorda Bay and SW LA into Monday with bands of rainfall developing and spreading across that region. Overall the pattern looks wet starting Saturday and continuing well into next week.

Rainfall Amounts:
    Global model guidance is in general agreement favoring the areas between Matagorda Bay and SW LA for the highest rainfall totals over the next 7 days, but exactly where any sort of training bands develop in the that region remains a question. The time period from Sunday into Monday may feature the greatest chance for widespread rainfall over the area, but the confidence is still not high. Widespread rainfall amounts of 2-4 inches appear possible over the region with higher isolated amounts. Those higher isolated amounts will be a result of any sustained training bands that might anchor in the very tropical air mass. This is the type of air mass that will result in intense short duration rainfall totals of 2-3 inches in an hour. One other potential to watch for in the coming days will be the idea for morning storms near the coast or just offshore to “rob” the inland flow of moisture and focus the heaviest rainfall near the coast or just offshore. These sort of very tropical air masses tend to like to focus development in the early morning hours (2-7am) near the coast. This type of pattern could result in the maximum totals close to the coast or offshore

Rainfall totals will need adjusting over the next 24-72 hours as confidence increases where the greatest moisture axis will establish and where the potential for training rainfall will be greatest.

Hydro:
    Grounds across much of SE TX are dry to very dry with the lack of recent rainfall. Moderate to severe drought conditions are in place especially across the SW half of the region. Initial rainfall will likely be quickly absorbed by the dry grounds and run-off will be limited, but grounds will gradually saturate and run-off increase as the event prolongs over multiple days. Flash Flood guidance for Harris County is running about 4 inches in 1 hour up to 5.5 inches in 6 hours before significant amounts of run-off would occur. Over the region the 6-hr flash flood guidance ranges between 5.0-6.4 inches. Overall the grounds will be able to handle much of the expected rainfall as long as it does not all fall in a short period of time.

Marine:
    Tropical wave axis will move into the coastal waters starting Friday evening with increasing numerous showers and thunderstorms and squalls over the weekend. Winds will increase out of the ESE/SE starting late Friday into the 20-25kt range by Sunday. Seas will build through the day on Saturday into the 5-7 foot range and 7-9 feet on Sunday. Long period swells and ESE fetch will likely result in minor wave and water level run-up on the Gulf beaches by late in the weekend into early next week. Water levels along the coast late this weekend into early next week are currently forecasted to remain below advisory levels, but could be running 1.5-2.5 feet above MLLW by Saturday.
    7 Day QPF

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
      Man I don't think past central Texas very far but probably to Bandera. They were saying this morning that the Panhandle, which needs it badly, will not be affected.
      I’ve seeen anywhere from .5” to nada for the panhandle. Texas storms don’t usually benefit us, unless they hit at the Rio and spin n and west a bit. Pacific storms do us the most good, and there is one of those too. Would be nicely timed after many guys have had to replant. Seems most cotton up here either got hailed out, blown out or died because of no rain at all.

Comment

Combines running 24 a day right now trying to get the grain they can out...Actually starting cutting last week. This rain is going to hit the cotton perfect, just started blooming out.
        Originally posted by Playa View Post
        I’ve seeen anywhere from .5” to nada for the panhandle. Texas storms don’t usually benefit us, unless they hit at the Rio and spin n and west a bit. Pacific storms do us the most good, and there is one of those too. Would be nicely timed after many guys have had to replant. Seems most cotton up here either got hailed out, blown out or died because of no rain at all.

Comment

Although we need the rain, my family and I are flying back in to Houston on Sunday from Hawaii. From beautiful weather to possible hurricane. Thanks to those that have updated. This is where I get my forecast.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
            Combines running 24 a day right now trying to get the grain they can out...Actually starting cutting last week. This rain is going to hit the cotton perfect, just started blooming out.

Unfortunately, it’s going to be a little late for the cotton. It will help fill out bolls, but a lot of it has already shed squares. There are some people it would really help, especially what was replanted after the crazy winds. Kind of a catch 22 since guys are now rushing to get grain out.

Still, I would like 2-3 inches of rain. Hell, it can rain more in Portland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
              Although we need the rain, my family and I are flying back in to Houston on Sunday from Hawaii. From beautiful weather to possible hurricane. Thanks to those that have updated. This is where I get my forecast.
              See you at iah. We come back from cabo same day. One storm to another

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                Unfortunately, it’s going to be a little late for the cotton. It will help fill out bolls, but a lot of it has already shed squares. There are some people it would really help, especially what was replanted after the crazy winds. Kind of a catch 22 since guys are now rushing to get grain out.

Still, I would like 2-3 inches of rain. Hell, it can rain more in Portland.

I think he was actually talking about panhandle cotton, most of which was just planted before the June 5 deadline or being replanted now

Comment

Cooler and significantly wetter weather remains on tap for the weekend—at this point Sunday looks like the wettest day—but with a disorganized tropical system moving into Mexico we don’t see …

Sounding a lot less ominous than a couple days ago. Do the experts here agree?

Comment

I just hope we get some good rain out of it. No strong winds, but 2-3" of good rain over a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like it will be a better chance of rain from Houston to east Texas than in my area of the coast, but I hope they are wrong

Comment

Any updates on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
                          Any updates on this?
                          No tropical development, just a slug of rain

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                            No tropical development, just a slug of rain
                            A slug of rain can cripple Houston. I do need a good rain to fill my new dug out pond and to fill up my other one. My cows and grass need it.

Comment

Where are you experts seeing the heavier rain forecasts setting up?

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                                A slug of rain can cripple Houston. I do need a good rain to fill my new dug out pond and to fill up my other one. My cows and grass need it.
                                Yes it can!!

Comment

Working...
                                X