Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, with deer season finally winding down, I've been able over the last couple weeks start playing with the "warm up" set of limbs for my buffalo bow. They are 67lbs @28", so at my draw, I'm getting something close to 65lbs or so.

I've been working on bare shafting my arrows to get the best possible flight I possibly can out of them, and it's been kicking my butt. I started with a Carbon Express Heritage 250 shaft cut at 30" with a 100gr brass insert, footed by a 2" section of aluminum arrow and 250 grain point and slowly cut it down 1/8" or so at a time to get the spine as close to perfect as possible. Not shooting much over the last couple months, plus jumping up to such a heavy weight that I have never shot before has made it a bit tough. With the way I shoot, the cock feather has always been my "clicker" so to speak, as I release as soon as it hits my cheek. With the bare shafts, my clicker isn't there, so it's not automatic for me to release when I get to my anchor spot, throwing that in with trying to be sure I actually get to full draw with these heavy limbs, after a dozen or so shots a night, my release starts to fall apart so I have to call it quits. I finally reached a point where my arrow was just a touch weak and hitting nock high still, but getting really close to being right on the edge of being to short for comfort (to me) so I called it good and finally fletched one up to see how it flew. The shaft ended up being 28 1/8" long, and with 3 4" feathers total setup weighed in at just under 700gr!

I took a few shots at a blank bale in the shop I have set up for tuning just to see if it was flying fairly close to be bare shafts, as well as flying straight and it seemed to be. I walked outside and took my very first shot ever out of the bow at an actual spot to see how it faired. I was definitely pleased and even more surprised with my very first shot at an actual target ..

I'm hoping me and this rig continue to get along as I get to feeling more comfortable with the heavy poundage and transition to my 76lb set of limbs in the coming months. Still going to play with a couple more arrow combinations to see if I can come up with something else that shoots as good or better. This whole arrow tuning/bare shafting business is a whole new ballgame for me, so we shall see how it all goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im shooting the 250s cut to 29" with the 100 grain insert and a 180 grain head as my everyday bow. Your setup sounds perfect to me.

Something that helped me when I was working up from 74 to 83 was I would always shoot the lighter bow most of my shots and just mix in the 83 for a shot now and then.
      Seemed like if i had been shooting the lighter bow some the heavier weight didn't hurt as much
      Last edited by Buff; 01-29-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Not sure this would help, but as I read you "clicker" dilemma I thought, Why don't you take a piece of a feather, say 1/8" or close and glue it in where the back of your cock feather would be. As long as you don't leave it extra tall you would still get the feel you were used to?
        Hope the best for you and in your pursuit of the Buffalo. Stay actively chasing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          Im shooting the 250s cut to 29" with the 100 grain insert and a 180 grain head as my everyday bow. Your setup sounds perfect to me.

Something that helped me when I was working up from 74 to 83 was I would always shoot the lighter bow most of my shots and just mix in the 83 for a shot now and then.
          Seemed like if i had been shooting the lighter bow some the heavier weight didn't hurt as much

That's kinda the plan. I want to get to where this 67lb set feels comfortable and I can shoot it for a while without feeling shaky, then will start to incorporate the heavier set into play. My only problem with switching is, I only have the one riser so i'll have to take it apart to swap out limbs when I get to that point.

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
          Not sure this would help, but as I read you "clicker" dilemma I thought, Why don't you take a piece of a feather, say 1/8" or close and glue it in where the back of your cock feather would be. As long as you don't leave it extra tall you would still get the feel you were used to?
          Hope the best for you and in your pursuit of the Buffalo. Stay actively chasing it.
          Thanks sir! I've actually toyed with the thought of doing that, but never did it. I will however most likely incorporate that into my tuning with the heavier set of limbs when I get to that point!

Comment

That's no problem, just get another riser made.

Comment

Buy another riser, really
              You need to be able to shoot a few from the light weight one then a shot or two from the heavy one then back to the light one without swapping limbs

Comment

I have a 74# Widow you can borrow for practice if you want

Comment

I'd love to try that Widow one day.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, I like that dark riser!! Good luck bud!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      I have a 74# Widow you can borrow for practice if you want.
                      Buy another riser, really
                      You need to be able to shoot a few from the light weight one then a shot or two from the heavy one then back to the light one without swapping limbs

I may take you up on that sir once I start getting closer to the point of shooting my heavy set.
                      I do have another riser, but it's 2" longer so it will drop the weight down a bit, but have thought of putting my lower poundage limbs in it. I really want to get as comfortable with my main riser as possible.

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                      Man, I like that dark riser!! Good luck bud!!!
                      Thanks sir, I was pleased with how it turned out.
                      I'm ready to get my hands on my new bow soon! [emoji16]

Comment

Following

Comment

Where are you on this?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I'm a bit behind where I'd like to be, but making progress. Between work, weather being crappy when I'm off, and all other things, I have not been able to shoot nearly as much the last month or two as I'd have liked, with most of my shooting coming from slinging a few arrows in my shop at close quarters after everything settles down in the evenings. I broke out my target rig to try and help with form a bit and have been trying to shoot it regularly. Also, I finally broke down and started back at the gym 3 weeks ago to try and build up my back/shoulder muscles a bit more. My "light weight" setup has gotten much more comfortable and I'm able to shoot 30 or more shots out of it without any issues with my form/control problems. My good buddy Jeffro built me a test set of woodies that are around 600gr and they fly like a dream! Can't wait to take it out on the range and see how well I hold up with it.
                            Fixing to start ordering shafts and heads to begin working on and tuning my heavy set of limbs here in the next week or two. Should be some interesting times ahead for sure.

Comment

Something about wood arrows and longbows that just feels "right"!

Comment

Good shooting!

Comment

Working...
                                X