No announcement yet.

Ilegal 9 point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my Dad was in school years ago the school closed for opening day!

I have boys in school now. There is only a very and I mean a very few of the other kids that hunt. We are in a world where many don’t even know where the meat in their McDonald’s burger comes from. That is if they eat meat.

Times have changed and are changing fast.

We argue about the size of a deer’s antlers while the future generations are not hunting at all. Worse they are becoming anti hunting. I don’t mean just they don’t like hunting I mean they are actively against it.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
      When my Dad was in school years ago the school closed for opening day!

I have boys in school now. There is only a very and I mean a very few of the other kids that hunt. We are in a world where many don’t even know where the meat in their McDonald’s burger comes from. That is if they eat meat.

Times have changed and are changing fast.

We argue about the size of a deer’s antlers while the future generations are not hunting at all. Worse they are becoming anti hunting. I don’t mean just they don’t like hunting I mean they are actively against it.
      Honest question, do you think AR regulations have anything to do with this number?

Comment

Me and my daughter hunted together twice this season. She filled a buck tag on each sit.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
          Me and my daughter hunted together twice this season. She filled a buck tag on each sit.

Skinny
          That’s awesome! That’s second buck looks like a MMA fighter..... that lost

Comment

Some of us believe our posterity should be hunters. Others believe they should be sportsmen. Not mutually exclusive you say? Well, yes, that’s true. But they have inherently different objectives.

Hunting focuses on killing an animal for food. Our earlier ancestors, native Americans, etc. were hunters, not sportsmen. Hunting was not always a sport.

Sporting focuses on means, methods, glorification of the animal (at least to a degree), and a higher level of fulfillment and satisfaction for the killer than just his belly.

Many of us are both. I personally feel both are fine. But whichever you are, nobody flat-out hunts out of necessity anymore. The cost to hunt, limited access to game (not necessarily population, but legalities/seasons, distance to hunt-able ground, etc) make your local grocer MUCH more economical. Sure, filling the freezer helps us justify our past time and offset some cost.

Nonetheless, TPWD’s push to get bucks to a mature age is sportsman-driven ($$$ debate aside), and many young hunters are just not there yet. Some are, and that’s fine, too. But it can have a negative effect on young hunters. Why should a hunter have to “earn” a kill over a long period of time? I don’t make my seven year old earn his protein every night. He is learning lessons of patience, drive, persistence in other areas of his life. The “sporting” mentality has overtaken our hunting culture and nearly replaced it’s basic tenant, providing food. Again, they can coexist, but I think we have to be careful to not lose sight of what it is we’re really doing, what really matters and what doesn’t.

I realize my position is counter to many reading this. But Sporting has been engrained in many of us and “hunting” has been redefined by the marketing, advertising and social media we see throughout the “hunting industry”, TBH being no exception—and really a guide for many, in some respects.

Make no mistake, I love big antlers. They make us proud. They’re a symbol of prowess and status in the animal kingdom. But should all hunters be forced to be sportsmen? Because, to suggest that a young kid killing an immature animal is likened to “everyone getting a trophy” and several other similar comments is basically asserting that it’s unacceptable simply be a hunter.

I’m sure I’ll get flamed on this because I realize hunting and sporting are one and the same to most here. But maybe it can be food for thought for some. I don’t know.

God bless and happy hunting. Or sporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Honest question, do you think AR regulations have anything to do with this number?
              I think it one of many factors. It’s not a top factor. I agree with you that the decline in abundance of hunting land is a large factor. There are lots of other factors: anti gun media, anti meat eaters, animal lovers, Hollywood, modern culture, etc. It’s a long list.

My personal experience this year is I’m hunting a small property that I own.

I have a young son I’m trying to help shoot his first buck. I’ve had him pass on a deer that I think is plus 5 years and is an east Texas basket (one which should be culled for management). He was too close to call and was worried he would come up less than 13.

Then I’ve had him pass on a legal buck that was clearly bigger than 13. But I believe he was only 2 years. That was a confusing conversation to have with him.

Lots of stand time so at this point I believe he has learned patience I don’t know of too many kids (or adults) they can stay in a stand before sunrise to sunset. We did that a few times.

After about our 12th trip he’s started to lose interest so I will be working on that. The last two times I asked if he wanted to go he said maybe next time

I know the AR has benefits but like everything else it’s not perfect.
              Last edited by TXHunter12; 12-08-2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I think it one of many factors. It’s not a top factor. I agree with you that the decline in abundance of hunting land is a large factor. There are lots of other factors: anti gun media, anti meat eaters, animal lovers, Hollywood, modern culture, etc. It’s a long list.

My personal experience this year is I’m hunting a small property that I own.

I have a young son I’m trying to help shoot his first buck. I’ve had him pass on a deer that I think is plus 5 years and is an east Texas basket (one which should be culled for management). He was too close to call and was worried he would come up less than 13.

Then I’ve had him pass on a legal buck that was clearly bigger than 13. But I believe he was only 2 years. That was a confusing conversation to have with him.

Lots of stand time so at this point I believe he has learned patience I don’t know of too many kids (or adults) they can stay in a stand before sunrise to sunset.

After about our 12th trip he’s started to lose interest so I will be working on that. The last two times I asked if he wanted to go he said maybe next time

I know the AR has benefits but like everything else it’s not perfect.
                I applaud you for take your kid hunting.

Where I get confused, is passing a legal buck THAT THEY WANT TO SHOOT in the name of “management “

I have zero desire to shoot a young deer anymore, none.... but my daughter don’t know how to age and I watched her shake like micheal j fox shooting a year and a half 3 pt. She’s hooked... it’s a deer.... they make more every year.... it’s small low fence property

Take them hunting AND HAVE FUN!!! &@$% management. Manage to have fun with your kids. You never know how long you got. So enjoy
                Last edited by Low Fence; 12-08-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Also a lot of kids live with only one parent. Kids are involved in sports and other activities that interfere with hunting time. Parents are also busier these days with things that don't allow time for hunting. Video games and social media are more important to kids than sitting in the woods.

Back when most of us were younger, sitting in the woods waiting to see an animal beat playing with rocks and sticks. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                    Some of us believe our posterity should be hunters. Others believe they should be sportsmen. Not mutually exclusive you say? Well, yes, that’s true. But they have inherently different objectives.

Hunting focuses on killing an animal for food. Our earlier ancestors, native Americans, etc. were hunters, not sportsmen. Hunting was not always a sport.

Sporting focuses on means, methods, glorification of the animal (at least to a degree), and a higher level of fulfillment and satisfaction for the killer than just his belly.

Many of us are both. I personally feel both are fine. But whichever you are, nobody flat-out hunts out of necessity anymore. The cost to hunt, limited access to game (not necessarily population, but legalities/seasons, distance to hunt-able ground, etc) make your local grocer MUCH more economical. Sure, filling the freezer helps us justify our past time and offset some cost.

Nonetheless, TPWD’s push to get bucks to a mature age is sportsman-driven ($$$ debate aside), and many young hunters are just not there yet. Some are, and that’s fine, too. But it can have a negative effect on young hunters. Why should a hunter have to “earn” a kill over a long period of time? I don’t make my seven year old earn his protein every night. He is learning lessons of patience, drive, persistence in other areas of his life. The “sporting” mentality has overtaken our hunting culture and nearly replaced it’s basic tenant, providing food. Again, they can coexist, but I think we have to be careful to not lose sight of what it is we’re really doing, what really matters and what doesn’t.

I realize my position is counter to many reading this. But Sporting has been engrained in many of us and “hunting” has been redefined by the marketing, advertising and social media we see throughout the “hunting industry”, TBH being no exception—and really a guide for many, in some respects.

Make no mistake, I love big antlers. They make us proud. They’re a symbol of prowess and status in the animal kingdom. But should all hunters be forced to be sportsmen? Because, to suggest that a young kid killing an immature animal is likened to “everyone getting a trophy” and several other similar comments is basically asserting that it’s unacceptable simply be a hunter.

I’m sure I’ll get flamed on this because I realize hunting and sporting are one and the same to most here. But maybe it can be food for thought for some. I don’t know.

I like this post. A lot of what I was thinking was posted in this post

Comment

This is a sound argument.

Comment

Lots of good stuff here. But the biggest misconception is the AR is to “produce trophies “. It’s not it’s a byproduct of a better age class. When I started hunting at around 11-12 I remember hunting 3 years.... years.... years before I saw a deer on stand. Now on same property I can see them daily. Before AR (that I admit I fought tooth and nail for) I had around a 14:1 buck tondoe ratio... now I’m closer to 3:1 and can rattle in bucks

So since AR:

I have more deer
                        I have more bucks... some legal some not
                        I have bigger buck
                        I have a better age structure in my deer herd
                        I have a betterherd

And I spent a few extra hours in blind with daughter p get her a buck
                        All wins to me

Comment

I think it’s a multi faceted issue. A lot depends on the areas where you hunt and what game you are after. I’m on the TX/LA coast and duck hunting has gotten plum ridiculous. Lots of hunters that have no clue what they are doing with a complete lack of respect for each other and that’s just the public guys. Private has gotten so expensive you almost can’t afford a good lease. Bird numbers as a whole are up but we don’t get near as many in our marshes as we used to unles your willing to sleep in truck in line at the refuge.

When it comes to deer there is a decent amount of public within 2hr drive from me but you can bet your gonna spend some serious time in the woods to find one that meets AR, now does on the other hand are plentiful but you can only take one during archery unless you draw a tag for a Type II rifle doe. Leases are getting more and more expensive around our area and we aren’t seeing near the deer that we used to. Pretty sure that’s due to our local outlaw population though.

As to kids/youth wanting to hunt.....I can promise you they aren’t in short supply, every one of kids friends asks if they can tag along. From what I see it’s a lack of interest or willingness on parents parts to get them out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            So your complaint is that there was no instant gratification and that y’all may have to put in a little more effort??

Sounds like a teachable/learning type of moment to me.
                            The idea that someone wanting to shoot a buck is on the same playing field as someone wanting instant gratification is perplexing. To some, shooting a deer is just that. Shooting a deer. Not everybody has to have a high fence ranch mentality. If I want to shoot a young buck then I'm going to do it. Because its a deer.

Comment

What woodsman said.

Comment

Your NAILED it!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X