Muzzle Brake vs Linear Compensator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzle Brake vs Linear Compensator

I have a muzzle brake on my 6.5G and it is unpleasantly loud. Ear ringing. I wear hearing protection 90% of the time, but the few caught off guard moments happen. Also when with others, I don't want to inadvertently blast them. A suppressor is in the future, but I'd like to have something for this season.
    How much difference will there be going with compensator vs the muzzle brake? I read that there isn't much between open barrel and comp, but cant find anything in the relation to a brake.

TIA

SAC

I was decently happy running the Troy claymore before going suppressed, directed the report forwards and somewhat of a recoil reducer but not that much.

Comment

I have two - different brands- that I thought were going to make a difference. They are loud imo. It's a different loud, but people at camp that hear me shooting at the range comment on how loud my guns are. I now use them as thread protectors when my screw on can isn't installed.
      Have you tried swapping out to a generic A-2 ?

I'd unscrew your brake and shoot with no muzzle device and see if that is better. A simple thread protector may be your short term answer.

Btw, I use muffs or plugs religiously- even with the can. A quick shot isn't worth losing what little hearing I have left anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You should hear the SJC titan break on my 16" AR10, even if you've got double ear-pro on, it's still brutal. Hell people two benches away can feel the pressure wave.

I don't see a 6.5 grendel as needing a muzzle brake since it's so low recoil: I'd go with a flash suppressor for QD when you get your suppressor, or just put a thread protector on it.

As for not wearing ear pro all the time, everything but subsonic ammo or suppression will cause instantaneous hearing damage. Bump that 90% to 100% and save your ears, your children will thank you when you're 70 and they don't have to yell at you while you're saying "whaaat?"

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          You should hear the SJC titan break on my 16" AR10, even if you've got double ear-pro on, it's still brutal. Hell people two benches away can feel the pressure wave.

I don't see a 6.5 grendel as needing a muzzle brake since it's so low recoil: I'd go with a flash suppressor for QD when you get your suppressor, or just put a thread protector on it.

As for not wearing ear pro all the time, everything but subsonic ammo or suppression will cause instantaneous hearing damage. Bump that 90% to 100% and save your ears, your children will thank you when you're 70 and they don't have to yell at you while you're saying "whaaat?"
          I love those comps.
          I have a Lantac Dragon on my AR10 and a JP on my .223.

I won’t shoot either without hearing protection.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
            I love those comps.
            I have a Lantac Dragon on my AR10 and a JP on my .223.

I won’t shoot either without hearing protection.
            How do you like the dragon? I'm leaning towards getting a micro b@stard gen 2, but wanted to know how the dragon performs.
            Last edited by sir shovelhands; 09-17-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

It’s flat. And loud. I really do like the Titan though.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Definitely going to try with out the brake. I'll probably go with thread protector for the time being.

Thanks again

Comment

anything that diverts gasses up down or side ways will increase the blast,, everything leaving straight forward will still be loud but not as bad

Comment

Working...
                  X