No announcement yet.

protein for low fence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it helps, if nothing else a great attractant. The deer hit it before corn alot of the time right now thst it is so dry. We have a little over a couple hundred acres. Luckily our neighbors are all on the same page pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I have fed protein on smaller low fence places for years but I’m not deluded enough to think I am “managing the herd”, or growing big bucks to shoot years later. I just think it might help the deer in the area by giving them something extra to eat. That, and I enjoy seeing what shows up on camera - protein seems to draw bucks that corn doesn’t. Who knows, maybe one of them will stroll by my stand one day.
      agree ^^

Comment

Like others have stated the protein and cotton seed will attract more deer than just corn is a fact so that in itself is a big plus even when on smaller plots of land

Comment

So brand that I can mix into my current feeder and broadcast ?? also I tired a basic mineral block they do not seem to care for it , any suggestions there ? open to ideas

Comment

I feed it on my place. So does one of my neighbors. This is my second season to own the place and the deer sure have taken to the protein. If one of my neighbors that doesn't feed protein shoots a buck that's had his head in my feeder all year oh well. That's the way it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
              So brand that I can mix into my current feeder and broadcast ?? also I tired a basic mineral block they do not seem to care for it , any suggestions there ? open to ideas
              Use soybean and peas if you want to add something to your broadcast feeder. I prefer free choice protein, but something is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                Use soybean and peas if you want to add something to your broadcast feeder. I prefer free choice protein, but something is better than nothing.

Good idea.

Thanks

Comment

protein for low fence ?

I am a huge fan of timed protein feeders, not just because of the ability to ration the feed, but also because you can encourage the bucks visit your feeders during hunting hours. If you feed free choice, he can pig-out on protein in the middle of the night on your place, and then go chase tail on your neighbors place in the morning; with timed feeders, the bucks will be standing around the feeder at dawn waiting for it to open.

This ranch is 180ac low fence, close to Lampasas and had no ten pointers on it in 2015 when my folks bought it and we started improving the range conditions and feeding some. We had one 10pt on camera in 2016, had seven on camera in 2017, and we may have that many just from this morning at this feeder. I recognize a lot of these bucks, so it’s great to see them adding inches.

Comment

Working...
                  X