Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice tractor and disc setup!

Comment

Don't know what changed at my place this year. Deer have just walked through spring /summer plots and barely touched anything
      Only thing I did different this year is mix some black oil (nobody had perodovic) sunflower seed in with the peas

Looks like I will be expanding my plots as they are wearing what I have planted out

Never knew they liked sunflowers so much either. Quick scan while shredding pasture earlier I saw no flowers or leaves, just bare stems. Pea vines still have some leaves on them

Comment

Looks to me like they've about eaten it up ! Of course that's what we plant it for, but we would like to see it last through summer at least. They will probably put on some more leaves if you get some rain.

Comment

I planted 4 bags of black oil sunflowers over about 8 acres (various plots located throughout the lease). I went out today and I don't have a single sunflower growing. What happened do you think?

Comment

Here's Milo and sun hemp with beans mixed in

Couple acres of black oil sunflowers and beans. These have had decent pressure too with 6-10 deer a night eating in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
              I planted 4 bags of black oil sunflowers over about 8 acres (various plots located throughout the lease). I went out today and I don't have a single sunflower growing. What happened do you think?
              No sign of anything?

How deep did you plant?

Sounds like planted too deep to me or you have a high deer density and they ate them as soon as they came up

I had no idea they would eat mine like they did. But I do have the bare stalks

Comment

Not sure if this is the Browntop Millet I planted or it's weeds, but we are growing something! This is a virgin ground food plot so exciting to see something popping up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5228.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24502477

Name:	IMG_5230.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	24502478

Name:	IMG_5227.jpg
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	24502479

Comment

So, by looking at this exclusion cage, do you think these deer are getting enough to eat ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    So, by looking at this exclusion cage, do you think these deer are getting enough to eat ?
                    Maybe

Comment

For those who have been following this thread, my plots in Trinity Co. failed miserably this year. Started out slow, but I got good germination so the only thing I can think is that since this was the second year for spring plots, the deer were ready for me. All I have now is a really good stand of weeds and grasses.

I reached out to elgato and he gave me some ideas to put in effect for not only my kill plot this fall, but the two acre nutrition plot as well. So needless to say, I'll be trying this and see if I can outrun those hungry suckers. Thanks Rusty !

Comment

Remember these peas ?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well, they're still there, mostly laying on the ground in little brown pellets !
                          Attached Files

Comment

Enjoying this thread. Can't wait to plant for fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              Well, they're still there, mostly laying on the ground in little brown pellets !
                              haha looks like they wiped you out as well. I checked mine 2 weeks ago and they were knee high, checked them yesterday looked just like yours. Oh well, that is why we plant it right

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
                                haha looks like they wiped you out as well. I checked mine 2 weeks ago and they were knee high, checked them yesterday looked just like yours. Oh well, that is why we plant it right
                                Who knows why they browse them lightly for two months and then devour them in two weeks, but I think that their natural browse may be getting woody, dry, and tough. They turn to the peas then or whatever else you have, but you're right, that's exactly why we plant. Contrast that pic with this one on my place near Mt. Enterprise taken about the same time. In fact I saw this plot this morning and it looks the same. I'm thinking I will try a throw and mow on this plot if it continues to have lots of leaves by September.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X