Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much

Comment

I have a question. I used this method yesterday cooking a brisket and the taste and moisture was amazing from it. The problem I had was the brisket was to tender to slice. Any tips on what I did wrong? I do not have a thermometer to check the it if that had anything to do with it. I kept the pit at 250 for 10 hours then wrapped it in a towel and put in a cooler for 2.

Comment

You really need a thermometer to check IT
        You can also probe for to check tenderness
        Sounds like you over cooked it a bit or your knife isn't very sharp and you smashed it rather than cut it.

Comment

If it slidesin like a knife in hot butter then its done

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
            Sounds like you over cooked it a bit or your knife isn't very sharp and you smashed it rather than cut it.

Ha could be the knife. I guess I need to invest in a thermometer
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
              I have a question. I used this method yesterday cooking a brisket and the taste and moisture was amazing from it. The problem I had was the brisket was to tender to slice. Any tips on what I did wrong? I do not have a thermometer to check the it if that had anything to do with it. I kept the pit at 250 for 10 hours then wrapped it in a towel and put in a cooler for 2.
              Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              Originally posted by TX_bowhunter37 View Post
              If it slidesin like a knife in hot butter then its done

What they said ^^^^

You don't even have to have a temp pen in order to check for doneness, but if you're going to be cooking much bbq I would suggest you get one. Since you don't have one, you could use an icepick. If it slides in the thickest part of the meat with almost no resistance then its time to pull and rest.

I cooked this one yesterday myself... it was right on the money.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                What they said ^^^^

You don't even have to have a temp pen in order to check for doneness, but if you're going to be cooking much bbq I would suggest you get one. Since you don't have one, you could use an icepick. If it slides in the thickest part of the meat with almost no resistance then its time to pull and rest.

I cooked this one yesterday myself... it was right on the money.

Ok thanks I appreciate that. I will invest in one then give it another try for sure!

Comment

Great looking brisket. I just finished a 14 lb brisket at 225. Took right at 29 hrs to reach 200. Have you noticed if wrapping it when you do speeds up the time to reach that last 30 degrees?

Comment

Yum!

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Tagging....Going to try my first brisket on my new stick burner this weekend!

Comment

Tagged, Thanks!

Comment

Good job. Great "how to" read for the majority of unseasoned cooks.

Comment

Do you ever separate the flat and point during the trimming stage?

Comment

Great info, I'm glad you took the time to write this down, I'm saving this thread for later. I just bought a brisket on sale at HEB hoping to try again and cooking it. It's gotten better each time but with your write up I think I got it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X