Wolf killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom View Post
    I did misread what you wrote....but you can share some details of yourself anyway as this is more or less a tight knit collection of Texas Bow hunters.....most with little experience in the re-introduction of wolves.....certainly very few experts who would be asked to advise elected officials on the subject
    I misread pumalives, I thought it was petalives---

Comment

I did misread what you wrote....but you can share some details of yourself anyway as this is more or less a tight knit collection of Texas Bow hunters.....most with little experience in the re-introduction of wolves.....certainly very few experts who would be asked to advise elected officials on the subject
      I wasn’t asked, I was voluntold. If you’re ever in Austin let me know, I’ll buy you a beer and break your heart about some of the people I’ve done work for.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePumaLives View Post
        I wasn’t asked, I was voluntold. If you’re ever in Austin let me know, I’ll buy you a beer and break your heart about some of the people I’ve done work for.
        I will do that....I get that way now and again...and I am interested to hear from all the wolf experts....certainly the ones from Central Texas.

please don't get me wrong....I do not mean to come over as insensitive or untrusting in any way......I love nothing more than all wildlife and the preservation of them all equally......I can be wrong at times (God may know...wife knows for sure) so I am open to hearing all opinions and accepting all facts.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          Yes. Wilderness areas are (usually) the more rugged areas. Used by most species during spring, summer, and fall. They are mostly untouched by people. But that’s not where “most” species winter, when they are most vurnerable to predation. They move to the lower areas. That are more inhabited by people. A lot of hay fields and other agriculture. Forced to congregate on the good habitat left or in some cases places where the western states feed them to keep them off of the ag areas. Easy targets. And die off from lack of proper wintering areas. Also humans put out the fires needed to set back vegitation.
          you are correct....it is always the low lying areas where the Elk will winter...can you name me one major area that is not protected or that has changed at all in the last 20 years? just one.

Comment

Am not buying...

Comment

you are correct....it is always the low lying areas where the Elk will winter...can you name me one major area that is not protected or that has changed at all in the last 20 years? just one.
              Not all elk winter in the massive herds. I’m sure you know this. Thousands of “small” low valleys are now ag or even worse movie stars and Rich people buy them just to have a place in the mountains. For the record I have no issue with hunting wolves. I hope to kill one one day. But just the fact that some states have massive feeding programs should tell you that wintering areas are lacking. You can also read things like Colorado’s hunt planner that say this and say that is the reason for reducing herd size in some areas. High wolf populations plus not a lot of prime habitat in some areas equal massive kills. Tons have been developed even more in the last 20 years and for a hundred years before that. And I don’t agree with the fish theory posted just for the record.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                Am not buying...
                I just wish they would stop selling. The species isn’t native. I’m ok with people shooting them at will just as they do with other exotics. I’m going to assume that this “illegal fish” that was released was also non native. If you can argue that the release of the fish caused a big problem with the ecosystem and then turn around and say nothing is wrong with introducing a non native predator into an ecosystem because it will no negative effects then you are seriously touched in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                  I just wish they would stop selling. The species isn’t native. I’m ok with people shooting them at will just as they do with other exotics. I’m going to assume that this “illegal fish” that was released was also non native. If you can argue that the release of the fish caused a big problem with the ecosystem and then turn around and say nothing is wrong with introducing a non native predator into an ecosystem because it will no negative effects then you are seriously touched in the head.
                  Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                    Thank you.

Comment

I'm fortunate not to live in those areas. I'd shoot everyone I saw just like I do coyotes here. They are a competing predator and I don't need them in my ecosystem.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Not all elk winter in the massive herds. I’m sure you know this. Thousands of “small” low valleys are now ag or even worse movie stars and Rich people buy them just to have a place in the mountains. For the record I have no issue with hunting wolves. I hope to kill one one day. But just the fact that some states have massive feeding programs should tell you that wintering areas are lacking. You can also read things like Colorado’s hunt planner that say this and say that is the reason for reducing herd size in some areas. High wolf populations plus not a lot of prime habitat in some areas equal massive kills. Tons have been developed even more in the last 20 years and for a hundred years before that. And I don’t agree with the fish theory posted just for the record.
                        fair points....but if the wolf was not running amuck out West there would be no Elk or Moose population concern to talk about....Elk and Moose are doing just fine where there are no wolf...Utah, Colorado....etc. so the talk of loss of habitat is just not valid.

I have killed my wolf with a bow....really don't care to see another one while hunting....there are no shortage of wolf in North America. I shot my wolf in Alberta at a time when you would go to federal prison in Montana for shooting one....literally across a barbed wire fence.....In Alberta I was given a wolf tag when I purchased my moose tag and was told that if I shoot one they would give me another tag....in fact....even during archery only season they would loan me a .243.......so....no shortage of wolf....then or now
                        Last edited by Tom; 02-02-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          I'm fortunate not to live in those areas. I'd shoot everyone I saw just like I do coyotes here. They are a competing predator and I don't need them in my ecosystem.

Thank you! Everybody that wants to kill all wolves should just admit this is the reason.

And the populations would have always been fine if we hadn’t nearly wiped them out to begin with through over hunting,disease, ignorance and habitat loss. Prime example of habitat loss is buffalo. We will never see massive herds of them again. Why? Hunting(slaughtering) to begin with. Now Nowhere to go. I’m just saying it’s not just the wolf’s fault. They need to be cut back to the agreed upon numbers.

Comment

Don't want the buffalo back in their historic numbers either. Rather have beef grazing than buffalo.

Fact is it took nearly a century to rebuild the populations of game animals. This was done off the backs and wallets of hunters. You environmental extremists thinking it's good to have wolves may be well intentioned but you're wrong from my point of view. At least morning the numbers they have swelled to.

Last edited by DRT; 02-02-2018, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Thank you! Everybody that wants to kill all wolves should just admit this is the reason.

And the populations would have always been fine if we hadn’t nearly wiped them out to begin with through over hunting,disease, ignorance and habitat loss. Prime example of habitat loss is buffalo. We will never see massive herds of them again. Why? Hunting(slaughtering) to begin with. Now Nowhere to go. I’m just saying it’s not just the wolf’s fault. They need to be cut back to the agreed upon numbers.
                              congratulations...you have trolled out what you were looking for......and to school your DA up....wolves were exterminated because ranchers could not keep livestock from being killed....plain and simple. We are animals on this planet as well....when we expand we will have an impact.....convert to a canine and run off in the woods and hope for the best.

Comment

congratulations...you have trolled out what you were looking for......and to school your DA up....wolves were exterminated because ranchers could not keep livestock from being killed....plain and simple. We are animals on this planet as well....when we expand we will have an impact.....convert to a canine and run off in the woods and hope for the best.
                                Wasn’t just talking about wolves being exterminated. Not trolling anything, just trying to educate. And I’m out before any more insults start flying. Should have never gotten involved, can’t educate those that don’t want to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X