Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the wet spring had the place really grown up, and it looked like even seeing a rabbit, much less getting a shot was going to be tough. But a quick afternoon scout did turn up something interesting -- hog tracks made since the rain that morning.

Comment

So the rabbit hunt turned into a hog hunt. At first light Sunday morning the wind was just right for a still hunt up the west side of the cover. Most of it could be moved through very quietly and even when I flushed a covey of bobwhites, it felt like hunt had promise. At one good looking spot I stopped at to watch some openings where trails crossed, it sounded like hogs moving past. Six or so deer were the explanation for the sounds. They are all within the frame of this photo, but only two near the center are fairly easy to see.

Comment

Sounds like a fine time!!!

Bisch

Comment

No hogs were contacted over the course of the two and a half hours still hunt, but it was a lot of fun to be out and I saw a lot of wildlife.

As children our dad took my siblings and me arrowhead hunting in fields not too far from here. And dad, at 16 or 17 years old in December of 1941, was plowing behind a mule in fields near here when his little brother ran out to tell him the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor. So it is special country to me and it was good to move through it slowly and deliberately with a bow in hand.

The mosquitos were pretty bad, and that looks like a dead one on my chin. I won't forget again to spray my right hand anytime soon.

It was great to participate with Sacagawea! Thanks!

Comment

That looks like an awesome place to walk around with a bow
            Thanks for sharing Rob.

Comment

Looks like a great time anyway!! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Bio

I’m in my 50th year of archery. An uncle brought me an archery set for my 10th birthday and I loved it from the get-go. You could buy target arrows at the Western Auto store in our hometown. And I remember scraping up money on a regular basis to replenish the assortment in my quiver. Mesquite wood is just tougher than port orford cedar. I remember my astonishment when I first saw one of my uncles’ boxes of arrows that were all matched in length and color!
                That first bow was a little Hill style longbow that was solid fiberglass. I got pretty good and as a 10-year-old might, I figured I could live off the land with it given a chance. I wore moccasins whenever I could get away with that.
                Dad was an avid outdoorsman and my siblings and I grew up in South Texas hunting and fishing. Mom said almost all the pictures she had of her children had dead animals or fish in them.
                Shotguns and bolt action rifles pushed aside the little bow by middle school and I was in college when a buddy finally got me involved in archery and bowhunting again. Compounds were the rage then and I owned 2 of them before rediscovering recurves and longbows. My first adult sized traditional bow was an Archery Traditions Patriot I bought in 1992.
                Highlights in archery since then have included getting to go to some of the big traditional shoots up in the Midwest when we lived up there for 5 years and making self-bows for my daughters and teaching them to shoot.
                I love being outdoors hiking, canoeing, fishing, hunting, etc. But being out hunting with a bow remains as good as it gets. The camaraderie of 3-D shooting is mighty good too, and I have enjoyed my involvement in that a great deal over the last few years. As we all know some of the very best folks are involved in archery.
                I work as a mental health counselor in private practice in San Antonio. My wife and I will celebrate our 36th anniversary in August. My two young adult daughters are good strong women and a joy to be with.

Comment

Great write up!!

Comment

Great write-up.

Comment

Awesome write up Rob

Comment

Awesome picture in your Bio!! Great write-up as well.

Comment

Cool old pic.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Sacajawea is now in Llano, TX. That was fast Rob! Anyway, I'll do my write up tomorrow. Tonight I didn't waste any time gettin her together and playing around. I will say this, I don't have any arrows spined weak enough for her. Just because she's ambidextrous, she ain't cut too close to center. Just to save money, if someone who's had her with a 29.5" draw, what spine did you use for it? I took my first shot at 18 yards and here it is.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24498640

Comment

Yes, she got there a day early. Excellent! Enjoy!

Comment

My name is Kenneth Woodrum. I've been a bowhunter for more than twenty years. I spent the majority of my hunting career with the wheels. Now I can't pick it up anymore. I started making selfbows and that was that. I enjoy making it harder on myself.
                                Anyway, I'm an electrician. Been at the same company for twenty years. For the last twelve years I've been a jobsite superintendent wiring schools and grocery stores and whatever else we get. I'm 37 years old and all the hours worked make me feel twice my age. I used to fish in all the bass tournaments I could but now I couldn't be happier shooting a longbow in the yard. Something is magical about the flight of an arrow shot from a bare bow. I'm not a good writer but you get the point. There's many a shooter better than me with a stick bow, but I guarantee, there's no one who works harder at it. I haven't missed a day shooting in a year and a half. I'm sure the wife is about ready to call it quits! Thanks for this opportunity to become part of this bows history. Hope I can let the air out of something with her!

Comment

Working...
                                X