2018 Alaska Dall Sheep!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
    All I can say is congrats Bobby! That’s one hell of a ram you killed .

Can’t wait for everybody else to see him!

[emoji23]

Comment

Well it was a good one. We finally got in and made it to camp same day as my last update. I made a quick turn and went straight to the field. We got in and made our hike to setup camp but we’re slowed up by walking in on a mature grizzly. After some cat and mouse trying to get him to leave we moved him off and got our camp setup for the night. We did some cooking and relaxing when the guide went to pee and the grizzly was coming back. This time he came right by camp at 22yds and would not leave us and kept circling. We ended up shooting 4 times at rocks near him to scare him off but he just wasn’t scared at all. He slowly walked off but made it back to our camp after we went to sleep and let us know it by scattering my things and leaving hair on my pack.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        Well it was a good one. We finally got in and made it to camp same day as my last update. I made a quick turn and went straight to the field. We got in and made our hike to setup camp but we’re slowed up by walking in on a mature grizzly. After some cat and mouse trying to get him to leave we moved him off and got our camp setup for the night. We did some cooking and relaxing when the guide went to pee and the grizzly was coming back. This time he came right by camp at 22yds and would not leave us and kept circling. We ended up shooting 4 times at rocks near him to scare him off but he just wasn’t scared at all. He slowly walked off but made it back to our camp after we went to sleep and let us know it by scattering my things and leaving hair on my pack.

Screw that. I’d be shooting and begging forgiveness. In for more updates and pics! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Next morning we decided to pack up our entire camp and take it up the mountain. We made it a little over 5 miles of elevation gain before finding a nice saddle up high we would want to camp. We kept pushing past to see if we could find some sheep and sure enough about another mile around the mountain we find a band of 18 rams with at least 7 legal. We ducked back and took our packs back to the saddle and dropped all unnecessary gear and headed back for the sheep. Our initial spot we found them put us at 591yds so when we came back I was set on cutting that as much as possible. We didn’t have much and got in to 515yds with 0 cover left in front of us. We slid in and started glassing the whole group to see what we had and there were two really nice rams. One was a flared 37-38” ram and another was a 34” double broom ram. I asked which had more mass and made the decision from that. I went ahead and dialed and settled waiting for him to stand. Took a while for them get moving but when he got up I let it fly. I saw the impact in my scope and knew it was a good one but guide said “shoot again” my stomach dropped but when I found him in the scope again he was falling.

Comment

We had the hard work coming now. Got down and back up to the other side to him and had to roll him to get off of a cliff edge but he was mine and down for good. We got pics, butchered him, and loaded up for the pack back to camp. About 11pm we made it back and got the tent setup just in time for the rain to start. Got some good Mountain House and some great sleep haha. Next morning we loaded up all of camp and all of the sheep between the two of us and headed down. Was only about 4hrs but through some nasty scree but completely worth it all. All in all it was a very short hunt as far as sheep go. I was warned though going in that I was in for the shortest walk of all the hunters but it would be the steepest and roughest. Thankfully the guide made the calls he did as it worked to perfection. Once we were down it was an hr or so and I was on the cub headed back to base camp to enjoy some backstraps and some sleep on a cot. We are currently still not back to Fairbanks as we had some plane trouble and are stuck in a village somewhere in the arctic but should be back sometime tonight.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Heck yea. Great story and congrats on a beautiful ram!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post

Congrats on everything. Well deserved!!!!!

Comment

Great ram!
                        Congrats!

Comment

Congrats man that is awesome. Dream hunt

Comment

Awesome...Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

What an awesome ram! Great hunt and story as well. Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X