• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
    Step one: move to Iowa or Illinois.

Texas Forever

Comment

I’d like to see one or many take pics to document the process that they use. Describe the what, when, and how. Then we can compare results.

Comment

I can document our process. Hopefully we will see better results this year.

Comment

After rain dance, set up irrigation system

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
            I’d like to see one or many take pics to document the process that they use. Describe the what, when, and how. Then we can compare results.
            I'll document my process on my thread.

Comment

I like to plant the first or second week of October, depending on rain chances.

I used to take time to prepare really nice seedbeds. Now I just spray Gly about 3 weeks before planting, and on planting day I disc/seed/roll. 2 weeks later I fertilize. Works for us.

I have a thread somewhere......haven't updated it in a few years though.

Oh...and you don't want to mow & then spray. The glyphosate is contact killer. You need leaves for it land on, so it can kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                I'm in Central Texas.

Am I doing this right?
                Is there any step I'm missing? Any step not necessary?

step 1: Sept 1 - Mow down the plot with shredder
                step 2: Sept 1 - spray the field with Roundup/Water mix (2oz to 1 gallon)
                step 3: Sept 15 - disk plow field w/ harrow drag behind disk
                step 4: Sept 15 - spread fertilizer on field
                step 5: Sept 15 - disk/drag fields again
                step 6: Sept 15 - spread seed mix (wheat, oats, winter peas)
                step 7: Sept 15 - pull cultipacker over field two times to ensure clods are busted and smoothed over, also to remove any air pockets to help soil retain moisture
                step 8: Sept 15 - spread clover mix on top of soil
                step 9: Sept 15 - rain dance
                Ok, before you think I'm crazy, let me run something by you on your steps.

Don't mow,
                Spray with the roundup
                don't disk
                spread seed mix
                cultipack or don't depends on you.
                why clover mix on top of soil?
                do the rain dance (please film and post)

Reasons for my comments are the buffalo system. If you spray existing weeds/plants that will kill them out more than likely. If you leave them standing and plant the oats ect. the oats and stuff will come up protected by the native grasses/weeds from birds etc. and the grasses/weeds will hold moisture for the new seed bed. If you disk plow and harrow you are releasing lot's of nitrogen in the soil that the plants will need and you will have to put back with the fertilizer.

If you could break the stalk on the grass/weed with a crimper the existing grass/weed bed before spraying that would be even better. Once the stalk is broken it will die. If you can't build you a crimper then go ahead and mow but mow 4-6 or 8" if you can, it will provide cover and moisture for the new seeds.

Remember you're not planting grass for cows or goats etc. The animals you're planting for is deer or ungulates right. They by nature are browsers and "pickers" :-)

Go ahead and tell me I'm crazy. When the winter crop is done, simply crimp it again and plant a summer blend. The idea is to build on the base you start with and don't let go of that nitrogen and other good things in the soil. Eagle seed sells soybeans that are for DEER!. Means if they get any rain at all they will get head high :-) and deer love them.

Let me know if you think I'm crazy.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post

Don't mow,
                  Spray with the roundup
                  don't disk
                  spread seed mix

Reasons for my comments are the buffalo system. If you spray existing weeds/plants that will kill them out more than likely. If you leave them standing and plant the oats ect. the oats and stuff will come up protected by the native grasses/weeds from birds etc. and the grasses/weeds will hold moisture for the new seed bed. If you disk plow and harrow you are releasing lot's of nitrogen in the soil that the plants will need and you will have to put back with the fertilizer.

If you could break the stalk on the grass/weed with a crimper the existing grass/weed bed before spraying that would be even better. Once the stalk is broken it will die. If you can't build you a crimper then go ahead and mow but mow 4-6 or 8" if you can, it will provide cover and moisture for the new seeds.

Remember you're not planting grass for cows or goats etc. The animals you're planting for is deer or ungulates right. They by nature are browsers and "pickers" :-)

Go ahead and tell me I'm crazy. When the winter crop is done, simply crimp it again and plant a summer blend. The idea is to build on the base you start with and don't let go of that nitrogen and other good things in the soil. Eagle seed sells soybeans that are for DEER!. Means if they get any rain at all they will get head high :-) and deer love them.

Matt

Matt, you are crazy......crazy like a fox. [emoji6]

Looking forward to seeing someone attempt this! Hoping that this is a winner as it would be quicker and cheaper!

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                    I'm in Central Texas.

Am I doing this right?
                    Is there any step I'm missing? Any step not necessary?

step 1: Sept 1 - Mow down the plot with shredder
                    step 2: Sept 1 - spray the field with Roundup/Water mix (2oz to 1 gallon)
                    step 3: Sept 15 - disk plow field w/ harrow drag behind disk
                    step 4: Sept 15 - spread fertilizer on field
                    step 5: Sept 15 - disk/drag fields again
                    step 6: Sept 15 - spread seed mix (wheat, oats, winter peas)
                    step 7: Sept 15 - pull cultipacker over field two times to ensure clods are busted and smoothed over, also to remove any air pockets to help soil retain moisture
                    step 8: Sept 15 - spread clover mix on top of soil
                    step 9: Sept 15 - rain dance
                    Save yourself some work, just spray/terminate your plot. Keep the thatch as a natural fertilizer. Plant it just before or after a rain. If you have access to a drill, that is way better than plowing. Sir you have way to much work on this list.

Just for what it is worth, plan your planting according to rain, not the date.

Comment

Matt, you are crazy......crazy like a fox. [emoji6]

Looking forward to seeing someone attempt this! Hoping that this is a winner as it would be quicker and cheaper!
                      elgato been doing this for awhile.

Grant Woods is the developer of the Buffalo System...check it out.
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 08-22-2018, 05:42 PM.

Comment

steps to the perfect food plot

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        elgato been doing this for awhile.

Yep. Been watching his thread. His equipment is on a different level than.....was about to say mine but really, most folks here.

Would love for Santa to bring me a Firminator!!!
                        Last edited by Booner Sooner; 08-22-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Yep. Been watching his thread. His equipment is on a different level than.....was about to say mine but really, most folks here.

Would love for Santa to bring me a Firminator!!!
                          Yeah, the one for ATV would be great

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Yeah, the one for ATV would be great

The price of these are ridiculous.

$6K????

[emoji33]

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post

Don't mow,
                              Spray with the roundup
                              don't disk
                              spread seed mix

Matt
                              This is what I will be doing and I don't think you're crazy. It seems to be the simplest method when you don't have much for implements. I'm planning to spray my plots, then throw seed, then maybe create some sort of drag to knock over the vegetation that is dead to create a thatch.

I'll be using elbon rye to give me a better thatch for the next years spring and fall plots.

I'll report how it goes on my ranch thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                                This is what I will be doing and I don't think you're crazy. It seems to be the simplest method when you don't have much for implements. I'm planning to spray my plots, then throw seed, then maybe create some sort of drag to knock over the vegetation that is dead to create a thatch.

I'll be using elbon rye to give me a better thatch for the next years spring and fall plots.

I'll report how it goes on my ranch thread.
                                You probably already know this, but hogs (if you've got them) and birds can get a good portion of your seed even under the thatch, so over-seeding is usually recommended. Not sure what rate, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X