Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bow hunting jacket(cold weather)...what do y'all recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sitka fanatic jacket

Comment

May be bulkier than you want but the Predator fleece in the TBH store has kept me warm down into the teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Shop durable and comfortable heated work gear including M12-heated hooded sweatshirts and outdoor jackets.

The problem when dressing in multiple layers for me is flexibility. Trying to be quiet in a tree stand and pulling your bow back with 3 layers and a jacket on is a killer. I do use the Hot Hands foot warmers and glove warmers bow hunting.

I have sold several of the Milwaukee heated jackets, they use a small 12v battery and seem to be well made. I dont know if they would actually keep you warm, sitting in a tree stand not moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
          I used to have a jacket/coat that I used for bowhunting when it got cold. It was quiet and not to bulky. Well, the zipper finally bit the dust and it is unusable.

This past weekend, it got cold...26 where I was at. I layered pretty good but was a little more bulky than I would have liked.

so...what do you guys recommend for a bowhunting cold weather jacket/coat ? I want something that is quiet(mandatory) and warm without the bulk(if such an animal exist).

At this point I am more concerned about bulk/warmth than camo pattern.

Don't really want to break the bank as I an a lowly state worker...

thanx,
          IWOM or heater body suit.

Out side of that, a high numbered down fill jacket with a fleece exterior will be least bulk to warmth.

Comment

I may buy one of these though, this would work well when sitting.

Comment

First Lite might be "breaking the bank" so to speak, but it's incredibly good quality camo and worth it. The Sanctuary or the Woodbury are worth consideration. One thing about them, they do not have the puffy or bulk in the arm. They are strategically designed to offer the warmth without the bulk to accommodate bowhunters.

Comment

Heated jackets. That way you don't walk around feeeling like the stay puff marshmallow man. Get about 3 hrs on high per charge. I usually start on high but turn it down once it's hot

Comment

Sawtooth hybrid jacket by first lite.
                  It’s also wind and water resistant in certain areas.

Add your base layers under it and you are set in tripod in central Texas.

Comment

I haven't hunted in it yet, but I just bought the under armor extreme season coat. It does not seem bulky at all nor is it loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      most of the time layering with shirt/sweatshirt/hoody has worked. But I was cold Sunday morning. Maybe I am feeling colder as I get older...drats

thanx for the suggestions. Will be doing some research. Do compression type base layers really work? they seem thin and flimsy.
                      Cotton sucks for keeping you warm. It holds moisture and gets cold. I hunted last weekend in that weather and never was cold. Here's what I had on:

UnderArmour Heat Gear knock off turtle neck under layer from Walmart (not super tight, just snug). Light weight merino wool shirt over that. Then a Cabela's Berber Fleece with Windshear jacket. That's good down into the 20s, as long as the wind isn't strong. If it's colder than that, I'll add a Patagonia Nano Puff under the Berber Fleece. It's thin and really light weight, but very warm. The Berber Fleece is super quiet too.

It's important to wear gloves, neck/face gaiter, and a warm hat. I like a regular cap with a toboggan on top to cover my ears.

Bottom layers were merino socks, merino long johns, and camo hunting pants. If it's super cold and I'll be sitting still, I'll add a fleece under pant to the mix. I just wore my snake boots. Never got cold. If it's in the teens or single digits, I'll wear 600 gram Thinsulate and Gore-tex boots.

A big key for everything is to not wear anything that is too tight. You don't want to hinder circulation. You don't need baggy and bulky, but don't go too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Arrow View Post
                        sitka fanatic jacket
                        Used my Fanatic for first time this past Saturday in 25 degree weather. I actually got hot! Of course I had good base layers on too but my Sitka Stratus (mid weight Soft jacket with Windstopper) would have likely been enough. If that’s a rare occasion that it’s that cold then you could likely find a good used Sitka Stratus jacket at the end of the season and layer well underneath and be fine. Top of the line quality and will last you many many years and pay for itself many times over.

Comment

Another vote for layering

Mine is along these lines in Kansas:

Under armor t-shirt
                          Patagonia Capilene mid-weight quarter zip base layer (the quarter zip is more comfortable and also nice to quickly “dump heat” when you get too hot walking in)
                          Light weight vest

Upon getting to my stand, I pull the following from my backpack to put on before climbing the tree:

Scentlok light weight down filled jacket
                          Depending on how cold it is, I then put on either a scentlok hunting jacket or scentlok coat

There is so much great technology out today that a person shouldn’t get cold. My best advice is to layer, avoid the compression fit base layers, and buy top and bottom mid weight Patagonia capilene. They can be found on sale for $20-$30 each. Moosejaw should have some great deals between now and New Years.

Comment

Thanx for al the ideas folks.will figure something out in the next couple weeks.

Comment

UA hooded barrier jacket. Check out the UA Outlet site. Bought mine after Christmas last year. Wearing as we speak in a deer blind in Arkansas.

It was down to 25 here on Sunday and I was comfortable with a UA Coldgear shirt and this jacket. Granted I put a couple of body warmers on my upper and lower back.

Comment

x2 on the wooltimate fleece. my go to for Kansas cold weather hunts
                                cabelas tree stand fleece is great underneath.
                                also bought a cabela's "puffy" jacket and vest to wear under the wooltimate fleece jacket

Comment

Working...
                                X