No announcement yet.

Pawn Shop find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Meant to add a pic for the glossy vs matte stock finish question...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Knock off the sheen a little with 0000, or leave it glossy?
      Better than steel-wool IMO to take off some of the gloss is a brown paper bag. Cut out a piece and wrap it around a sponge and you'll see the shine starting dull. You can wet it with drop or two of tru-oil or use it dry. A little paste wax when you are done.

If you are thinking about rebluing it the oxpho blue is super easy and will make that gun look really good. I've done several complete re-blue jobs and you will have to really look to tell it's not factory.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
        Better than steel-wool IMO to take off some of the gloss is a brown paper bag. Cut out a piece and wrap it around a sponge and you'll see the shine starting dull. You can wet it with drop or two of tru-oil or use it dry. A little paste wax when you are done.

If you are thinking about rebluing it the oxpho blue is super easy and will make that gun look really good. I've done several complete re-blue jobs and you will have to really look to tell it's not factory.
        Thanks!

Comment

nice

Comment

Poop! I knocked off the sheen and decided I liked it better glossy.

Oh well. Shes wet again, and I have the rest of the night to play with Tonka trucks and rubber dinosaurs.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

I would leave the metal alone with the original patina that is on it. Go buy some bullets and shoot it would be best course of action I think.

Comment

I usually use 0000 steel wool and oil on the metal and leave it used looking. It is an old gun...it should look old.

Comment

On the stock, after coats of tru oil have hardened I take linseed oil and 0000 steel wool and rub it down...let it dry and they look good.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                      I would leave the metal alone with the original patina that is on it. Go buy some bullets and shoot it would be best course of action I think.
                      Yessir. I ran a couple patches through it as soon as i got home and shot it. That is how i determined to mess with it at all. It still shoots, and well.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                        I usually use 0000 steel wool and oil on the metal and leave it used looking. It is an old gun...it should look old.
                        Yessir. I felt bad about redoing the stock but it needed the crack repaired anyways.

Comment

Paint the barrel white. Rattle can it.

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
                            Paint the barrel white. Rattle can it.
                            [emoji41]

Comment

It is done, now and forever. 400 grit to rough her back up for good adhesion, slapped on another coat of Tru Oil, thoroughly cleaned the metal parts, and put it back together. I rushed the final coat in frustration, and there are imperfections, but its done.

Even with the new bottle of Tru Oil, some fresh sandpaper, and a couple boxes of CCI Quiet... I think it came to under $100

Im siding with the majority in this thread. Its mechanically sound, needs to remain old in appearance, and cant be "cooler" than my son's first 22.

Thank you all for the opinions and tips! I am happy with what it is, and I refuse to do anything else but shoot it and let my boy outshoot his daddy, of course.

Comment

That turned out awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X