Puzzling To Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puzzling To Me

OK--here's the story. I was hunting pigs at one of my lighted feeders back in January and stuck this boar--spined him (1st Picture). You can see the cut in the hide which is through the entry wound. Went back a day or so later and retrieved the broadhead, embedded in a vertebrae.

Here's the broadhead, viewed from the rear, with the spine section held straight up, as if the pig is just standing normally. You can see the down angle of the arrow--about 5-degrees below horizontal. Puzzling, because I wasn't shooting from a ground blind, but from a tripod.

I measured the release point elevation and it is 12' above ground. The horizontal distance to the spot where he fell was 30' and I drew it to scale in this drawing:

Easy to see what a difference there is in the angle of arrow flight and the angle of the arrow in the boar's spine. Could he have flinched at the sound of the bow, leaning slightly away from me? Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the bh sheared off a rib on entry, and I'm betting that deflected the arrow upward, resulting in the angle of the bh in the spine.

Any other thoughts on this?
    Last edited by dustoffer; 03-20-2017, 08:46 PM.

What's puzzling about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the impact point is what you are puzzled about, don't be! The spine is way lower on pigs than most folks think.

Bisch

Comment

At the shoulder the pig spine is pretty low. Also if had arrows deflect up on shoulder shots giving the arrow an upward wound channel.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          If the impact point is what you are puzzled about, don't be! The spine is way lower on pigs than most folks think.

Bisch
          I think it's the fact that he was shooting downward from an elevation, but the impact of the arrow arrow appears to have come from below, as if it were shot from a pit blind or something.

OP,

I think just like bullets, arrows do crazy things when they hit their target. A simple deflection from bone could have caused the trajectory to change and shot the arrow upward, causing the puzzling angle of the arrow once it stops.

Comment

Did the pig duck and turn at impact?

Comment

I can assure you that as the point of the arrow hit the superior portion of that vertebrae, the vertebrae rotated to his left while the arrow staying on its same trajectory which made it appear that it hit the vertebrae low, but in actuality the vertebrae rotated so that as penetration continued, it finished as if from a lower trajectory on the vertebra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The arrow flexes in flight. Could've simply been flexed upwards at impact.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                  Did the pig duck and turn at impact?
                  Nope--just fell and squealed until I did him in.

I think Sleepy's post is what I was thinking--

Comment

What's troubling to me is if your drawing is to scale then you sir are slinging some monster arrows as they are the same length as your tripod legs. LOL

Comment

I shot a pig once from the ground and the arrow spined the pig on the bottom of the spine. It was deflected off a rib and sent straight up into the spine.

Comment

I like the sketch of the pig.

Comment

Is that an aluminum shaft?

Comment

I'd bet He rolled away at the shot just like a deer. They do it all the time. Just a guess.

Comment

On deer, many times the entry wound is lower than the exit as deer tend to duck and roll at the shot. Hog probably rolled a bit.

I haven't seen anybody using aluminum arrows in 10 years. Old school.

Comment

Working...
                              X