No announcement yet.

How to Kill Cactus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to use chemicals as I plan on replanting this field for a deer food plot . I also have some fruit trees planted also to attract deer and I don't want to kill them either ...

this field is 10 acres or so ..

here's a pic .. the cactus are all over , but small ... since I mowed .. they're popping everywhere..
    Last edited by imyomama; 11-03-2011, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
      By cactus do you mean prickly pear?

If so Tordon is the best and Remedy mixed with deisel will do it just mix it stronger than recommended or it will just make it sick. If it were me I would go to TSC and buy a pear burner and just toast them.
      If you have cattle on the place, or any wildlife for that matter, dont do this. The cattle and wildlife will eat the prickly pear, once the spines are burnt off, due to the nutritional value, the water content, and the fact that it is sweet. If you dont get every spine, the wildlife or cattle will continue to eat, and will not know any better, about the spines. It will kill them once those spines get in their stomach.

The really only way to get rid of them, is to dig them up by hand, put them in a pile, and let them dry out and decompose. They will decompose back to dirt, no seeds, and then you can just spread the dirt out. We did this on 50 acres and now we have no cactus left, as of right now. Of course, we have a Bobcat, which makes it a little easier, but that is the only permanent way that I know of. If we see a little one growing up, we immediately dig or kick it out of the ground and start a new pile.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have the same problem. I decided to dig them up a section at a time.

This seems to work..

Comment

We use surmount and grazon next or grazon PD you can spray around the trees

Comment

Pastureguard by dow chem cost $175.00 per 2.5 gal, I mix it 2 oz per gal water and 2 oz liquid soap ..........It will dry up the pear works on turkey pear or as some call it jumpping catus,,,,,,,,This will kill all trees also so use it in a hand sprayer . Spray down all leaves, I mix the dye in with it to see that I got all of it.........Mix this at 1 oz per cal water with 1 oz soap good broad leaf killer for weeds. I use it inmy coastal fields.......Good thing it is NONrestricted ..........Thats why it cost so much,,,,,,Just make sure no rain comming for at least 3 days after spraying.... I spray it year round on the pear.......Andy

Comment

I have found that Surmount works best but requires applicators license.
              Vista works too. I used it two years ago and got about 70% kill. Does not require applicators license.

I have not tried Remedy with diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                Pretty much napalm is the only effective means. Then it will give you about 5 years and you'll have to do it again.
                this ^

Comment

i fell the last 5 feet out of my ladder stand once and my lower leg landed on a cactus. i used anger and a shovel to kill mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X