Higher end used or lower end new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher end used or lower end new?

Well I'm taking the plunge and getting back into bow hunting after a 6 yr hiatus and the wife has given me a $500 allowance to tool up. I already have a climbing stand etc etc so this will be just for bow/furniture. My question is should I look at a RTH package in that range or try to find a used flagship bow?

Higher end used. You can pick up 2015-16 flagship bows for that price.

Comment

I'm with Stoof, kinda.

Buying a used flagship will still incur the cost of the accessories, which could run you the same as the bow, $400-600. It is possible to find one loaded, but not very likely. Alternatively you could also buy the accessories used and save some money.

OTOH a ready to hunt package will have you shooting right now, with only the additional cost of a release and arrows. There is nothing wrong with "entry level" bows, but the accessories leave a bit to be desired. However, upgrading the accessories is easier on the wife than a whole new bow.

You can buy quality accessories and then in a few years, when you upgrade to the flagship (even if used) you have both a great bow and great accessories; and in the mean time, you have a bow that will get the job done.

If you already had everything else, and just had a $500 budget for a bow, I would recommend a used flagship; but in your situation I would recommend a ready to hunt package.

Comment

Another vote for used flagship bow. $500 wont get you are in the new market, but you'll be able to find a great used setup rigged out for that.

Comment

I’m all for supporting a dealer.... but know that don’t fit everyone’s budget. To maximize performance to dollar 100% used flagship.

Even a 6-7 year old flagship will have better performance and tunablity and in most cases be more enjoyable to shoot.

As for accessories... you can rig out one from these classified forum alone with top quality gear for 40%.... or less of new price

Only additional cost if you can’t rig and tune yourself would be having pro shop install. And since you don’t buy from them I 100% expect them to charge for the labor. Only fair since they get shafted on the used market sales

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            I’m all for supporting a dealer.... but know that don’t fit everyone’s budget. To maximize performance to dollar 100% used flagship.

Even a 6-7 year old flagship will have better performance and tunablity and in most cases be more enjoyable to shoot.

As for accessories... you can rig out one from these classified forum alone with top quality gear for 40%.... or less of new price

Only additional cost if you can’t rig and tune yourself would be having pro shop install. And since you don’t buy from them I 100% expect them to charge for the labor. Only fair since they get shafted on the used market sales
            This

Comment

I agree with the higher end used, but try to shoot a couple and see which one fits you best first.

Comment

Higher end used. I bought 2 brand new to me Creeds for $400 and $600, both were a year old, both had less than 200 shots, "according to the previous owners." They were basically brand new.

All that being said, if you are gonna keep the bow for years, buy new from your local pro and buy used one for backup.

Comment

Used Flagship Mathews are Elite in my opinion!

Comment

Used Flagship all day.

Comment

Buying a new bow is worse than buying a new car.

I used to be in the new bow crowd ... I buy used now.

Comment

I bought a brand new 2016 elite synergy off eBay for $375 free shipping, about 6-8 months ago, and I love it. If you look hard you can find some sweet deals. Definitely used, or a few years old, flag ship is the way I’d go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There’s a brand new Elite Synergy on here for $375. I would buy used, but quality all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

This and when you pay the labor tip the tech. Build a relationship with the shop and in the future it will be worth it.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X