No announcement yet.

Broadhead tuning - at my wit's end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure it's set nock level and the timing marks on the rest line up. After that you can use top cam timing, string suppressor pressure, and placement of the brass nock sets to manipulate nock height tunes

Comment

In addition to rest timing, I would check rest position in respect to Berger hole. If your rest is not sitting at the right point on the riser, it can be tough to get timing correct. I had this issue with one of the hoyts I had.

Comment

Lipstick on the vane edges works well to find contact areas too.

I revisited your thread today and noticed that your pro shop was stumped by this issue too. I missed that when responding last night. If that's the case, you probably need to start tuning your equipment yourself or find a different shop. This is a really basic setup issue. If they missed it and still don't know what's going on when you describe the problem the way you did for us here regarding the rest adjustments and different broad heads not working, then they just aren't very good at this honestly or they aren't slowing down to pay attention and give you the help you need.

Some have mentioned fast rigs out shooting the drop speed of a qad. With that bow at those specs, bow speed is definitely not the culprit.

Some have mentioned limb driven rests. They don't have the same timing issues and are all I shoot now, but there's no reason you can't tune the qad up to shoot really well. New equipment isn't necessary to fix your issue.

D

Comment

I shoot with the same rest. I recently moved it to another bow and the shop that swapped it out put a string for the rest that was slightly too small. It would slowly creep and mess with the timing of the rest. Once I replace that string with the thicker one like the original, the problems went away. I'm not sure if that relates to your problem but thought I would share it.

Comment

Any good shop should know broadheads amplify any tuning issues. What might look like a porpoise flight with field tips you are seeing a low hit with fixed blades. They should have also diagnosed fletching contact right away.

Make sure the rest is coming up the last 1-2" of the draw. This is more important than the timing marks being 100% lined up. Too early or too late will cause contact issues.

Here is the .pdf for setting up a QAD.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              Have you changed the nock height?
              This....and I would dump the drop away and install a Whisker Biscuit

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                This one has me and my pro shop stumped.

Set up is Hoyt Defiant - 26.5" draw @ 46 lbs.
                Arrows are Gold Tip XT Hunter 400 spine (I've tried 500 also) cut to 26.5"
                100 grain field point with 50 grain weighted insert. Total arrow weight is 375 grains. Rest is QAD drop a way.
                Broadheads are 100 grain slick tricks.

At 30 yards, my broadheads are consistently impacting 6" low relative to field points. At 20 yards, still low but only by a couple inches.
                I have tried moving the rest up. No change. I have gone from 500 to 400 spine arrows...no change. I have tried different broadheads..even worse.

Now I'm seeing what appears to be color transfer from my vanes in the "U" of the rest.

I'm at the point of wanting to start completely over with a different arrow rest. I've had QADs before on other bows and have never had this problem. The pro shop recently checked cam timing. Arrows made good tears through paper. I haven't re-checked paper tuning since I messed with the rest.

Outta ideas...what say you green screen?
                Your arrows are contacting your rest.
                This can be a rest timing issue, or a cam timing issue.
                Confirm that your cams are in time, then run your static cord thru your cable and draw the bow to set your rest timing. Throw the clamp away.
                The QAD is a good self timing rest, so no need to try and manipulate timing.
                If your cam timing is right, this sequence will get broadheads very close.

Comment

Thank you for starting this thread. I have the QAD Hunter and I took a look at mine. Same vane marks, same issues with broadhead tuning. I'm going to take all this info and see if I can get it fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                    Confirm that your cams are in time, then run your static cord thru your cable and draw the bow to set your rest timing. Throw the clamp away.
                    Good to see you post.

Comment

I've had 2 qads give me problems on my Bowtech Experience. The last one was right before last season. My bow shop gave me an old Qad to use and its been going ever since. I think Qad rests might have a few issues these days.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                        Good to see you post.

X2

Comment

Take it to Texas Archery and let Joey look at it, you'll be ready to go in no time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Courtney can you replace the rest with a 2-prong style? That way you can get it in tune with that rest and eliminate a drop away from the equation? Once it's in tune then put the QAD back on and see if you can re-tune it.

Or maybe try a different archery shop and see what they say. Is Hoffy's in Lampassas too far?

I quit going to one archery shop on something very similar. I replaced the strings on my bow one time after deer season and couldn't get my bow to tune so I took it to an archery shop. They couldn't get it to tune either and blamed it on Hoyt's floating yolk so they just used some serving and made it a static yolk and then adjusted until i had cam lean and said that was the best they could do. I didn't know if i should be ****** or if my limbs were warped but they weren't any help. A few weeks later I just happened to be passing Knocked and Loaded in Lampassas and stopped in when Aaron was there. Dropped it off with him to check the limbs and see what he could do and went to San Saba to fill feeders and pull trail camera cards. I was gone a couple of hours and stopped by on my way back. He had it shooting bullet holes in less than 2 hours where the other shop had it a week and couldn't fix it. My problem was that my cams were slightly out of timing. He fixed that and all was perfect from then on.

Comment

so other than the vane contact do the field points hit where you aim them?
                              If so why not just adjust your sight?

Comment

What about your arrow length, can you try a 1/2 inch longer arrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X