Best broadhead for elk ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    If you think about it, not a lot of solid bone pass the sternum. I can see this easily happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen 650 gr arrow with 21% FOC @ 250ft/s shooting 2 blade single bevel head not make it through an elk shoulder.

With that said over 4’ is a long ways... it’s shows what’s possible with a 1” head, and proper placement
    Last edited by Texans42; 07-25-2018, 06:02 AM.

Comment

You may wish to try out the NAP Hellrazor, I found them very good flyers and they re-sharpen very well

Ranchdog

Comment

I shot a bull last year 3 times at 30, 40, and 40 yards. First two shots were passed through like butter with a QAD 100gr Swept Blade. Third shot has no penetration at all with my blunt tipped grouse arrow.

I highly recommend QAD's. I don't recommend shooting elk with blunt tipped arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
          I am going elk hunting in September
          First time to hunt elk with a bow
          I am convinced I need to use a fixblade vs the mechanical im used to
          Looking for suggestions that will do the needed damage to a big bull
          Please speak from experience only not hypothetical suggestions
          Thanks in advance
          Your friend “D”
          I've killed one with a bow. 125 slick trick. I have a 32 inch draw and shoot uncut arrows, it was an angling shot and the arrow completely disappeared. He went 50 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the Slick std it was a pass through I am looking at the new wicked trick this year But to be honest the std broad head has passed through everything i have shot with it .

If its not broken . I am not a fan of mechanical at all , nor a broad head I have to sharpen .

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
              I have killed a bunch of elk with a 125 XL silver flames.
              We're they calves

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                I’ve seen 650 gr arrow with 21% FOC @ 250ft/s shooting 2 blade single bevel head not make it through an elk shoulder.

With that said over 4’ is a long ways... it’s shows what’s possible with a 1” head, and proper placement
                As I do not believe in the 650 arrow. I do have a problem as why the 650 didn’t go through. Lots of factors. Would have been interesting to have seen.

I’ve never shot an elk but I have a water buffalo. So I can say with out a doubt if I can take a water buffalo with a 465 gr arrow I should have no problems with a 465 on an elk. It’s all in how you build your penetration system.

Comment

Anyone ever used Grim Reapers on elk?

Comment

I have been watching Levi Morgans new show (Bowlife) and he shoots Swacker only. He had some great kills so far on Carribou, mule deer, and pronghorn. If he can get penetration like than on caribou, an elk is no problem.

Comment

I used a swhacker on this guy. But one blade broke off...but I got him. Not sure I would recommend tho. Something like a montec would be great.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                        I shot a bull last year 3 times at 30, 40, and 40 yards. First two shots were passed through like butter with a QAD 100gr Swept Blade. Third shot has no penetration at all with my blunt tipped grouse arrow.

I highly recommend QAD's. I don't recommend shooting elk with blunt tipped arrows.
                        There has to be a great story behind that last arrow.

I never shot one but my setup when I was chasing them actively a couple years ago was the 125 gr vipertricks. They flew great out of my setup out to 80+ yards with 457 gr carnivore arrows running 18% foc that were built specifically for hunting elk out west.

Comment

I shot a couple elk with muzzy. I would just buy fixed blades and spend the time tuning your bow. My range for elk is much more. A 50/60 yard shots on a elk is gtg. Also practice less than 10 yard shots. Trust me.

Comment

I appreciate all the advice so far
                            Lots of good intel
                            Prob gonna try some slick trick
                            Have heard lots of good things about them for a while now

Comment

The fixed blade that goes where you want it to....

Seriously, find a fixed head that shoots good out of your setup. If you are confident that you can put it in a good spot, you’ll be less hesitant when the time comes and you’ll be smiling through gritted teeth while you pack all that meat off the mountain.[emoji6]

Comment

I have only used Montec G5 since they came out....maybe 2001? they are not as sharp as they can be out of the box, but about 3 minutes of this and they are good to go.

I have also not experienced the issue with blood trails but have hunted with people that have......but I always spend a few minutes per BH to sharpen on a diamond stone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	G5.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	24547074

Comment

Working...
                                X