Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
    I'm not going to get into the debate about culling/ killing and whether or not you should or shouldnt, but I'll throw this picture out there just because. This is the progression from 2014 to 2015. Some would have culled him in 2014 and would have missed the opportunity at a beautiful buck in 2015 and beyond.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    And you think that’s the same deer why?

Comment

2 threads I have no desire to respond to anymore....culling and is a .223 big enough for....

Comment

I shoot spike.....I shoot......deer
        I dumb cause I dont have ghost trailer mirrors and I dont have light bar.
        I want to be cool but I like mustard.on my biscuits

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          I shoot spike.....I shoot......deer
          I dumb cause I dont have ghost trailer mirrors and I dont have light bar.
          I want to be cool but I like mustard.on my biscuits
          You’re dumb for a whole lot more stuff than what you listed but I’m glad you’re finally accepting it.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            And you think that’s the same deer why?
            Well the double throat patch is pretty distinct
            Unless a lot of his deer have that trait, it’s a pretty good indicator

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              Well the double throat patch is pretty distinct
              Unless a lot of his deer have that trait, it’s a pretty good indicator
              Eye rings and that are a give away but that’s sure a strange jump. Was asking a serious question.

Comment

Front legs up to his knees are pretty light too.

Comment

I want to crash a nascar at 200.....anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    I want to crash a nascar at 200.....anyone else?
                    Try an airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                      No, I didn’t listen to the podcasts.

I think most on here are arguing about a word. It’s just a simple little word that is getting y’all’s feathers ruffled. “Cull” means to “remove”. That’s it. It’s that simple. The reasons to remove can vary. On a lot of places in Texas you have to remove a certain number of bucks and does to reach desired ratios, numbers, etc. So you have to “cull” the herd. LF or HF doesn’t matter. You have to “cull” a certain number of bucks, and you have to “cull” a certain number of does. Simple math really.

It’s just common sense that you will remove bucks with lesser quality antlers and leave the bucks with seemingly more potential. I have NEVER seen a study where a ranch “culled” only 10 point or bigger deer. Wonder why that is? If a ranch needs to cull/remove 20 bucks to hit their numbers, then why not shoot the first twenty bucks you see regardless of antler configuration? If it truly doesn’t matter to the genetic make-up of the herd, then why not? Or better yet why not shoot the top 20 bucks and leave the rest? Is it making sense now?

Maybe we need a new word, like “skim”. Can you “skim” bucks without people getting upset? If I said I shot a skim 5 year old 7 point, would that be better? For the record I hunt both LF and Hf. Our LF isn’t big, but we have been “skimming” the lesser quality antlered bucks and leaving the “big” ones for about 15 years now. Average antler size has gone up. We will continue to “skim” on our LF lease.

Thank you!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                        I'm not going to get into the debate about culling/ killing and whether or not you should or shouldnt, but I'll throw this picture out there just because. This is the progression from 2014 to 2015. Some would have culled him in 2014 and would have missed the opportunity at a beautiful buck in 2015 and beyond.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        I do think it is the same buck because of several traits, including the bobbed tail, but that much gain in 1 year is hard to believe and if its true it is FAR, FAR, from the norm....

Comment

Culling doesn’t work

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                          LOL. I see what you did there.

Let's say you wanted to kill/cull, or in this case, eat, all the Dilly Bars at your place in order to get rid of them, but the shop next door keeps shipping them over. The only thing you accomplished was getting fat.

We couldn’t get rid of them all anyway. We only have so much stomach or in this case, tags... We just would eat as many as we are allowed, throw away the sticks and hope the DQ ice cream maker in the sky spits out some bigger ones every year with the sticks he still has. [emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            We couldn’t get rid of them all anyway. We only have so much stomach or in this case, tags... We just would eat as many as we are allowed, throw away the sticks and hope the DQ ice cream maker in the sky spits out some bigger ones every year with the sticks he still has. [emoji41]

Comment

I only read about a page and a half, but I do find it interesting that lots of people here think they can do what trained biologist With tons of resources, money and time cannot. study after study shows you cannot change genetics by culling. not even a little. the studies show that a big buck may pass on less desirable horn genetics and a small buck may pass on larger horn genetics not to mention all the doe contributes. kill what you want to kill, but to me culling is just a way to justify a kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                I only read about a page and a half, but I do find it interesting that lots of people here think they can do what trained biologist With tons of resources, money and time cannot. study after study shows you cannot change genetics by culling. not even a little. the studies show that a big buck may pass on less desirable horn genetics and a small buck may pass on larger horn genetics not to mention all the doe contributes. kill what you want to kill, but to me culling is just a way to justify a kill.
                                SO Why Do Biologist Exists or Why do People Even Go through The trouble to remove Deer?

Comment

Working...
                                X