• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Links no good, so sad

Comment

Mike was supposed to meet his buddies back at the truck and he never showed up, so they went looking for him and he was on the ground, not breathing. It was apparent Mike just fell out of the tree. I dont think they really know exactly what went down. Maybe he had a vest on and was on his way up and just slipped..frost..wet? I know you are supposed to use a safety line going up but I bet a lot of people assume they can just make it up to the stand then strap in. Just a lot of things that could have happened. I dont know if anyone really knows.
          Prayers to his family and friends. Sad.
          Last edited by elkbowhunter; 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

After reading...

quick question.

How many of y'all tether all the way up/down to/from your stand?

I can honstly say, I don't...

I also don't hunt out of many trees or trees that are straight.
            Last edited by Chad C; 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Prayers go up for his family's strength- hate to hear these stories,but I try to learn from them.

Comment

from the article.....

Monday, October 17, 2011

HONEA PATH, S.C. (AP) -- Authorities say a 48-year-old deer hunter has died after falling from a tree stand in Abbeville County.

ADVERTISEMENT
                Investigators said Mike McKinsey had lowered his bow and was climbing out of the stand in the northeast part of Abbeville County on Friday when he appears to have lost his footing and fell about 18 feet.

Authorities say McKinsey was supposed to meet his hunting buddies later at their vehicles, but when he didn't show up, the men went back in the woods and found him.

Investigators say an autopsy determined McKinsey died from injuries suffered from the fall and his death has been ruled accidental.

I just put a teather on my tree stand this year....falling is not an option!

Comment

We have a safety line on ALL of our stands (except the shorter ladders..)..
                  I wont climb with out being connected...
                  We have a 30' platform stand (tree house like floor thing between two trees on a creek).. if that safety line wasn't there.. it would be the most unused stand ever.. its not easy to get into, and the climb is on screw in steps.(gut hooks)..

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                    After reading...

quick question.

How many of y'all tether all the way up to your stand?

I can honstly say, I don't...

I also don't hunt out of many trees or trees that are straight.
                    I do every time. My 6 YO daughter doesn't want to grow up without a daddy. And I don't want to live through it only to have my wife have to change my diaper because I'm a quadripligic.
                    Are you in that much of a hurry that its worth not taking the few minutes needed?

Comment

Chad....I dont. After reading about Mike I should. I hunted many years in Montana with no strap but was extremely careful. I go up about 15 ft. After reading about all the people falling I bought a good Hunter Safety Vest. I use it. I used to climb trees like a monkey when I was a kid. So all the talk about safety 30 years ago I took with a grain of salt. As my thinking was....there is danger in anything. I choose to wear a harness now. It just makes good sense. IMO

Comment

Yeap Mike McKinsey........ saw Wadell tweet that he was the best hunter he knew. So sad and prayers to the family

Snap up boys for you all that hunt them hard woods.

Comment

Tragedy.

Comment

I do!! Unless I am using my climber then I am hooked up with my normal harness rope. Fixed stands always hooked up from the time my feet leave the ground, until they get back on the ground.

Comment

Sad!

Comment

Horrible...prayers sent

Comment

Working...
                                X