No announcement yet.

So what is wrong with watermelon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing he didn't bring bbq ribs, they woulda lynched him.....

Comment

I guess if he had brought fried chicken from churches it would have been over looked , till after they ate !! bet they still watch reruns of ROOTS !!

Comment

It depends on the relationship he has with them. If there was already some animosity towards him I could see it being taken as distasteful.

Comment

Just keep my mouth shut.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            some folks is jus lookin' to have somethin' to get all butthurt over...
            X2

Comment

Originally posted by coldgas View Post
              My wife and I have some close friends who are black and every year they invite us to their house for a big Juneteenth celebration. My poor wife, who had no ill intentions, showed up with watermelon a couple of years ago. When our friend answered the door she says " watermelon! nice! did you bring the purple drank with you also?" I laughed my *** off! Off course they were not offended but they had and still have a great time giving my wife hell for bringing watermelon to the party.
              99.9% of the time that situation would have played out exactly that way
              Unfortunately that .01% left over could ruin your life and it all depends on how liberal the recipient is.
              Its a terrible situation when anyone one who really wants to can ruin you.
              We live in a time where the accusation or misinterpretation alone is likely to be all it takes

Comment

So, there is a twist to this now. Several of his black PEERS, from the same class, have come forward saying that he is a good guy and should not have been fired.

Some black firefighters in Detroit are backing a white colleague after he was fired for bringing a "racially insensitive" watermelon to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                  So, there is a twist to this now. Several of his black PEERS, from the same class, have come forward saying that he is a good guy and should not have been fired.

Some black firefighters in Detroit are backing a white colleague after he was fired for bringing a "racially insensitive" watermelon to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  Thats awesome of those guys to come out in support of him and as witnesses to his character. It probably will not matter for his position with Detroit because those white shirts are not going to want to back track( more than likely ).
                  Hopefully his fire cert is good through out the state and he can get hired on some place worth working for

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                    What the heck is a menudo?
                    Breakfast of champions and best tequila hangover remedy there is.

Comment

What an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        What an idiot.
                        Agreed. The chief that fired him is an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Agreed. The chief that fired him is an idiot.
                          Do you think him bringing a watermelon to a firehouse full of black firefighters on his first day of the job (without meeting or knowing any of them prior ) was a good idea in today's world?

Ok

Comment

Originally posted by Phdan View Post
                            Why someone have a special claim on certain types of food? What is marketed as soul food today was what us poor white trash kids grew up on on the old home farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              Do you think him bringing a watermelon to a firehouse full of black firefighters on his first day of the job (without meeting or knowing any of them prior ) was a good idea in today's world?

Ok
                              Yes, but I'm not into being politically correct. It's just a watermelon in my eyes. No harm no foul.

Comment

Lots of interesting comments here... I will refrain from offering my own opinion on this because I still have a few years left.... However, as a career firefighter of 20 years in a very diverse fire department myself, I can tell you that the climate has drastically changed in recent years. This clip below from the TV show Rescue Me is one of the most accurate depictions of what used to be the norm in my own experience.... Obviously, this scene was meant to be humorous, but it is also remarkably accurate as to what used to be commonplace among the old FD (at least in my experience). I can assure you that these days are now long gone.....

Comment

Working...
                                X