Pope and Young and sight lights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
    LOL Blake, I wouldnt have seen it either if it hadnt come up at camp a few times and we decided to google it... Those old farts dont know how to make an internet site very navigable

I dont think I will ever get to shoot one that qualifies... but if it does I sure aint gonna lie about it.
    For some reason I'll always have a buck picked out that will be borderline, then when he comes in at 12 yds I usually can't do it cause I just know something bigger will come out but never does. Then the buck I wanted never comes back.

Comment

Originally posted by JMAR View Post
      I never use my light anyways! A good quality sight doesn't need a light during legal shooting hours
      My first sight came with it and I never used it, the new Black Gold sight I got didn't come with one but got one anyway for hog hunting. If I were to take the photochromatic shell off of the fibers it would prob light up with moonlight. Man the fibers they use pick up light real well.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        If you shoot one that qualifies and want to enter it just don't mention the spotlight and .22. Very simple in my book.
        Would this be ok?

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
          Would this be ok?
          Make sure you use those segmented .22 bullets so it looks similar to a 3 blade broadhead.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
            My first sight came with it and I never used it, the new Black Gold sight I got didn't come with one but got one anyway for hog hunting. If I were to take the photochromatic shell off of the fibers it would prob light up with moonlight. Man the fibers they use pick up light real well.
            Seeing my pins has ever really been an issue, it's seeing through my peep that gets me. I shoot a smaller peep for tighter groups and just can't see through it when it starts getting dark. At 20yds it's no problem. When I anchor off correctly my 20 is directly in the center of my peep.

Comment

Make sure you use those segmented .22 bullets so it looks similar to a 3 blade broadhead.
              Haha BLADE BULLETS!!! The cut on contact Hollywood Hard Hitters!

Comment

Seeing my pins has ever really been an issue, it's seeing through my peep that gets me. I shoot a smaller peep for tighter groups and just can't see through it when it starts getting dark. At 20yds it's no problem. When I anchor off correctly my 20 is directly in the center of my peep.
                Well when it's dark I have a hard time focusing on exactly where my pins, peep and target are all at once. I had some pigs come in while deer hunting a few years back right before shooting light. Being in a pop up with only one or two windows open it was dark enough I could see the pins but couldn't tell where the ends were, not enought light for pins. My buddy had turned his light on so he took the shot and from then on if I was going to need to shoot when it was dark I would just used the light. Takes away from me wondering exactly where the pins are and making a bad shot.

Comment

Well when it's dark I have a hard time focusing on exactly where my pins, peep and target are all at once. I had some pigs come in while deer hunting a few years back right before shooting light. Being in a pop up with only one or two windows open it was dark enough I could see the pins but couldn't tell where the ends were, not enought light for pins. My buddy had turned his light on so he took the shot and from then on if I was going to need to shoot when it was dark I would just used the light. Takes away from me wondering exactly where the pins are and making a bad shot.
                  I gotcha. I dont hunt much from ground blinds for that reason about loosing 15min of hunting time.

Maybe one day the P&Y people will wake up. I guess I can see the lighted pin business but the lighted nock??? How does that help you kill a deer.

Comment

I gotcha. I dont hunt much from ground blinds for that reason about loosing 15min of hunting time.

Maybe one day the P&Y people will wake up. I guess I can see the lighted pin business but the lighted nock??? How does that help you kill a deer.
                    It doesn't,

But, it opens the door.

Comment

In all honesty, if the elders of P&Y had their way, compounds would probably not be allowed and the over 65% let off would not be in effect. I am a P&Y measurer and I disagree with some of their Fair Chase policies, but that is my opinion. I do not see how a lighted nock or sight lights give you and advantage. All they do is allow you to see a little better where your arrow hit and to give you the full time of LEGAL shooting light when it is cloudy or you are sitting in a pop up or other blind. It is hard to see the full shooitng time you are allowed by law if you are in an enclosed blind and cannot use a sight light if you want to enter an animal in P&Y. But that is their rules and if you want to enter an animal, abide by the rules even if you do not agree with them.

Comment

What is a pope & young??

Comment

I guess ill just have to follow the rules. In this day in age though you would at least think the argument on ethical kills would be that lighted knocks would make arrow recovery easier and easier t o get reference point to find blood trail. But I guess the old guys at p&y would say we need to get better on our tracking skills.

Comment

Pope & Young is the record keeping organization for bow killed animals. they have minimum scores for all 29 species of NA Big game and if you kill one that will score the minimum or above then if meet all their qualifications for entry, then you cna get an animal in the P7Y books.

Comment

Would this be ok?
                              That's pure stupidity actually
                              So, the only deer in the registry that matter are the top 10.
                              If a person happens to be hunting and kills a buck that scores number 1 in the world at 2 in the afternoon during the rut and he happens to have lighted pins and a lighted knock you guys are saying that p/y would not allow that deer to be registered. I highly doubt it. And if you were that person your saying you would not even try to register it?
                              If just having a light pin or knock is an advantage and a disqualification then so in mechanical advantage from a compound bow, and lets not forget the buck that has been fed 20k in protein for 6 years.
                              Basically, if a person wants to register a deer that meets minimum requirements is not hurting anything by fudging on whether or not he used a lighted knock.
                              Last edited by flywise; 08-07-2012, 04:01 AM.

Comment

If you shoot one that qualifies and want to enter it just don't mention the light. Very simple in my book.
                                That's pure stupidity actually
                                So, the only deer in the registry that matter are the top 10.
                                If a person happens to be hunting and kills a buck that scores number 1 in the world at 2 in the afternoon during the rut and he happens to have lighted pins and a lighted knock you guys are saying that p/y would not allow that deer to be registered. I highly doubt it. And if you were that person your saying you would not even try to register it?
                                If just having a light pin or knock is an advantage and a disqualification then so in mechanical advantage from a compound bow, and lets not forget the buck that has been fed 20k in protein for 6 years.
                                Basically, if a person wants to register a deer that meets minimum requirements is not hurting anything by fudging on whether or not he used a lighted knock.
                                If asked by a P&Y scorer, especially a panel of scorers in the event of a possible World Record, you would have to lie.
                                If you were to tell the truth, the animal would be disqualified.
                                Integrity is the issue here, even if some scorers simply refuse to interrogate the hunter on his submission to the club.

Comment

Working...
                                X