Sword Vs. Spot Hogg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sword Vs. Spot Hogg

I would like opinions on a Sword Apex 3rd plane and a Spot Hogg Hogg-it. I have shot with a Hogg it Hunter, and to say I was impressed is an understatement. I like the looks of the Sword, but haven't seen or used on in person. I dont want to use cost as a deciding factor, but would like to know I got $140 more sight. I also want to buy what I will want for years. Buy once, cry once, done. I have a decent amount of money spent on things I knew weren't exactly what I wanted to begin with, but went cheap.

Just me but I think the Hogg-it is a better sight all the way around. A lot more fiber length. Very well made. I used a 5 pin Hogg-it for almost 3 years and just changed to a HHA DS-5510 single pin this year. I do miss the vertical wire of the Hogg-it.

You can order a Hogg-it stacked by color and pin size. Like .030 first .019 second and third, and .010 forth and fifth.
    Last edited by JBS; 12-09-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

bow products are different then any other item i own. To me its 100% about what you like to look at and what feels right.

I do not like spott hogg end of story. Don't like the pins, the wires the house and so on, however I love sword and thats what I use now. i dont' know which is more expensive nor do I care, I just like the look of my sword centurion.

Comment

I cannot give an opinion about the Sword sights - never owned one but their reputation is good. I do know about Spot Hoggs, specifically the Spot Hogg Hogg-It Hunter which I have used for years. It is an over built hell for tough sight but, in my opinion, needlessly complicated for a dedicated hunting sight. I have the seven pin model which is at least two pins too many for 99.9% of all hunting situations. The micro adjusts for elevation and windage are too fine meaning it takes forever to move the pins noticeably. Also, most normal mortals don't need second and particularily third axis adjustments on their hunting sight. Bottom line, I think that it's a good bowhunter class 3D sight but I would spend less money and get a perfectly adequate Black Gold Flash Point or other make of simpler hunting sight. You pay your money, you make your choice.

Comment

Look at copperjohn mark 3.

Comment

I currently own and have shot both sights. I primarily used the Sword for 3D last year and just got the Hogg for hunting this year. I have to say the Hogg is worth the extra money in my opinion. I actually like the micro-adjustability of the Hogg sight compared to the Sword. But I also shoot a pretty fast bow and am an avid 3D shooter, so we tend to be a little more **** with fin-tuning equipment.

Here is my review: Pros
            Sword - love the look, nice to have long sight bar, smaller diameter guard, simple to change pins and fiber.

Spott Hogg - micro adjust, vertical wire, built like a tank, brightness with pins.

Cons
            Sword - it is a pretty heavy sight, brightness on pins is not where it should be, screw wear on adjustments.

Spott Hogg - changing pins and fiber is a pain in the *@$!, guard is too large, complexity in adjusting pins.

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
              bow products are different then any other item i own. To me its 100% about what you like to look at and what feels right.

I do not like spott hogg end of story. Don't like the pins, the wires the house and so on, however I love sword and thats what I use now. i dont' know which is more expensive nor do I care, I just like the look of my sword centurion.
              This is a very wise man, listen to him, I use the Sword Apex 3rd plane
              morning Sean

Comment

i've had the spott hogg hog-it for about 5 years now, i had a shop level my 3rd axis and they stripped it out on the 3rd axis leveling adjustment and so i called spott hogg and they told me to send it back, and they replaced the whole arm and sent me a cap and decals. i'm probably gonna own another one before to long. i heard someone say something about the 7 pin that it was to many pins i have the 5 pin and took 2 of the pins out really easy to do.

Comment

i have had both spott hoggs are brighter but i hate the adjustments

Comment

I shoot the Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane 5-Pin Bow Sight .019" Pin for 3D and for hunting actually. Pins are very bright, and the light on the site has three levels of brightness to dial to. Very pleased with it and it adjusts quite nicely. Well built and feels solid.

Comment

My Sword Apex 3rd plane should be here tomorrow or thursday from Basspro. I will post my thoughts after testing it out this weekend. Have some other expenses and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the cash on the Spot Hogg. After reading the posts here and looking online, it seems that Spot Hogg sights are great, but not without fault, but nothind is perfect. Hopefully my current bow will be a back up by next season and the new bow may have a Spot Hogg. For now, I am under the impression I got the features I wanted in a sight for a great price. Hope I feel the same after shooting with it.

Comment

Originally posted by sekennedy View Post
                        I cannot give an opinion about the Sword sights - never owned one but their reputation is good. I do know about Spot Hoggs, specifically the Spot Hogg Hogg-It Hunter which I have used for years. It is an over built hell for tough sight but, in my opinion, needlessly complicated for a dedicated hunting sight. I have the seven pin model which is at least two pins too many for 99.9% of all hunting situations. The micro adjusts for elevation and windage are too fine meaning it takes forever to move the pins noticeably. Also, most normal mortals don't need second and particularily third axis adjustments on their hunting sight. Bottom line, I think that it's a good bowhunter class 3D sight but I would spend less money and get a perfectly adequate Black Gold Flash Point or other make of simpler hunting sight. You pay your money, you make your choice.
                        Since the Spot-Hogg sights have been out, this is exactly,(nearly word for word) how I've answered this question.
                        Black Gold and Sword sights are both very good, tough, reliable sights, with models that have everything a hunter needs, without complicating the process of pin adjustment.

Comment

I am not dissapointed! I replaced a Trophy Ridge Flatliner, with .029 pins, and it was a huge improvement. The .019 pins and the better site really tightened up my groups already. I am down one arrow- not quite a robinhood, but broke the nock and chipped out an inch of arrow so close. Thing is built like a tank and easy to adjust but holds rock solid. Doesn't gather as much light as a wrapped Hogg, but I expected that. My only dissapointement, if you can call it that is the on off switch on the light. The twist isn't solid, but it works as it should.

Comment

The price of the Sword is a bit better. I think the brightness is about the same. You can spec both of these sites the way you want. I know that Sword doesn't charge more for this, not sure if Spot Hog does. You can't go wrong with either. IMHO

Comment

Working...
                            X