Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.W.T View Post
    The place is great. What Happened?
    I took an axis in and the hamburger was very bloody like defrost and wring it out like a sponge bloody. That's been it, that said I did drop a deer off yesterday so it didnt bother me to much. I use to do my own but with work and a 1 yr old and 4 yr old finding the time isn't easy

Comment

Not saying OP did this, but if you wait around to gut your deer, throw it in the back of the truck to sit in the sun, etc. Its gonna taste like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
        I learned this lesson last year. Don't take your meat to Klien's in Boerne. We ate maybe 2lbs of meat since last season and I have a freezer full of meat I need to throw away.

I would have to strongly disagree with this statement. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I use them regularly and have nothing bad to say about their quality. One of the better meat processors I've used and I've used a lot all over the state.

Comment

Elk are naturally grazers. A lot of times, hill country exotics become browsers because thats what they have available. Acorns, twigs and leaves probably made up the majority of his diet, in addition to the protein. Not normally what elk eat. Thats my guess on why it tastes different. How its handled from recovery to the processor also makes a big difference.

Comment

Pillar has to be in the handling I have an elk in the freezer that was killed about a mile north of your lease and it was eating protein also and it is very good but we processed our self.

Comment

Processor or Ram switcheroo I really enjoy elk cooked right. Im sure something went wrong somewhere along the line

Comment

Strange, well you could always let it soak in milk and seasoning of your choice

Comment

Working...
                X