• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something smells fishy.

Comment

elk is some of the best meat I have ever had-something is not right there

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowslinger1 View Post
        Your buddy got screwed at the processor in my opinion. He didn’t get Elk back. They kept that meat for themselves I would bet. I could be wrong but a spike elk should be awesome
        That's what I'm thinking. He probably got some kind of ram or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          That's what I'm thinking. He probably got some kind of ram or something.
          LOL probably, I guess stranger things have happened , I just know I am not going to eat anymore of his elk burger or anything labeled ELK in our deep freeze

Comment

I killed a stag last year that we are still eating and the meat smells very strong before cooked but it tastes amazing. I have never had an issue with elk meat.

Comment

I know of another Texas elk that got into a feed pen around a bulk protein feeder. He consumed a large amount of protein and tasted awlful as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                The elk where braking into the protein feed,
                He has shot 2 more a cow and another spike, both gutted and hauled into town within a hour,he had 100% summer sausage and link made out of one
                The other back straps and ground burger, I hope for his sake the other ones are better
                Why in the world would someone have an elk turned into 100% sausage?????

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  I didn't even ask, but I guess because the 1st one taste so god awful bad
                  And he does give a lot of sausage away to his friends and clients

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                    I have guys around here that get 100% done ground beef. Don't understand why either

Comment

What processor? I would bet somewhere somebody didn't handle the meat properly!!!

Comment

Hudson meat

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                        What processor? I would bet somewhere somebody didn't handle the meat properly!!!
                        This is same as Hudson in Austin it also seems like it has lots of sinue ground into it
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-05-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

sounds like it was a processing issue. they have to take the time to get as much fat off as possible. that and you need to cool if fast. mine are usually gutted/skinned/quartered and in a refer in an hour.

Comment

Well if it tastes like ****......be glad you didnt step in it.

Cheech.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                              I have guys around here that get 100% done ground beef. Don't understand why either

How do you turn elk into ground beef?

Comment

Could be your taste sensitivities, I know a lot of folks that take animals to processors and like it just fine, the last few years I can taste when an animal has been to a processor, to me it taste just like their coolers smell along about this time of year. I usually can smell it when the package is opened, then taste it when the meat is served. Everyone says it's all in my head, and may be, but my home processing doesn't smell or taste like any of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X