Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard are your deer hitting the protein so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your place looks great! Looks like you have a double beam working its way out!

Comment

I'm just really excited to see some west tx bucks. I'm heading out next weekend and hope to get some pics but haven't been out in a while so not sure what is still working.

Going to be an exciting next few months!

Comment

Post some pics if you get any. Y'all should have some big boys this year.

Comment

For you guys that are feeding several tons of feed, what would happen if you stopped feeding? Would your herd collapse? I may put out 2 bags of corn and a bag of calf feed a season just to get a few closer up pictures early, so I know nothing about the feeding deal.

Comment

Here won't collapse but you may not maximize your herds genetic potential. Also increases fawn survival.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
              For you guys that are feeding several tons of feed, what would happen if you stopped feeding? Would your herd collapse? I may put out 2 bags of corn and a bag of calf feed a season just to get a few closer up pictures early, so I know nothing about the feeding deal.
              That would depend on if your deer herd is over the carrying capacity.

Comment

Could dramatically decrease the survival rate of your mature deer herd if you have one established.

Comment

I just filled the feeders today and found out that we are averaging around 125lbs per day of protein consumption on just under 400 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                    That would depend on if your deer herd is over the carrying capacity.
                    That makes sense, but if you're feeding a whole lot, wouldn't you be artificially increasing your carrying capacity?

Comment

That makes sense, but if you're feeding a whole lot, wouldn't you be artificially increasing your carrying capacity?
                      White-tailed deer habitat consists or food, water, shelter, and also space. Thus, food plots and supplemental feeding only impact the nutritional carrying capacity of a particular piece of property, not the total or actual carrying capacity. Assuming there are both adequate water and cover, supplemental feeding can greatly increase the number of the local deer population.

Read this interesting article

Comment

Where we have fed 8400lbs on 600 acres- Definitely not. The deer would be 100% A-OK. The deer density isn't that dense there. In the past 10 years on the property it hasn't been put out as frequently or as early in the year. And some years, none at all.
                        I was on a 1000acre HF lease for two years, and if they didn't feed protein, they would have certainly lost some deer.
                        I think deer density would be the main factor, as well as range conditions.

Comment

so buck manager is more in favor of mother nature than supplemental programs?

Comment

LAST 10 days has gone down a bit but still eating it fairly good for how wet

Comment

Thanks! Interesting info. We don't use feeders much but have been pretty serious food plotters as long as I can remember, and at some places I hunt the deer feed heavily in bean fields. I'm sure those factors also contribute to concentrated numbers of deer as the article mentioned. I have considered feeding protein, I'm just not sure the deer would take to it very well so I don't want to make the investment. It's been interesting to read about y'alls set ups. Makes me wonder what my bucks might do if they'd eat that feed

Comment

You should consider where the author lives to honestly interpret that article. His anti feeding, CWD agenda driven, angle is obvious.

Supplemental feed can do wonders for your local deer herd. It WILL add to a buck's potential and lifespan, enhance a doe's ability to reproduce, and ease the struggle of a fawn to reach adulthood. It WILL reduce the individual deer's consumption of the habitat.

Anytime deer are concentrated on a local source of nutrition they will spend more time in that area. On a small scale, they will forage more close to a feeder. If they can spread out, they will travel for a sweet spot of habitat to feed if needed. This is also true with food plots or feeders. Problems may exist on a small HF property, or a LF property if it is an island of good habitat. The author doesn't mention the effect of concentration in the veins of habitat around a corn field in the MidWest.

If we can improve their nutrition, lifespan, reproduction, and hunter opportunity, why not feed? If you can't feed through the antler growing season, there is a benefit to only feeding protein instead of corn during hunting season. Winter months are the hardest on deer in most of TX. Either way, supplemental feed works.

Comment

Working...
                                X