Reloaded Ammo Shelf-Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloaded Ammo Shelf-Life

I know some factory and military surplus last a LONG time but what about Reloads ..

Got some reloads from 2008 that have been kept in a controlled area inside a Military Ammo can that has been opened very little..

Its good.

Comment

Why would it differ from factory stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
        I know some factory and military surplus last a LONG time but what about Reloads ..

Got some reloads from 2008 that have been kept in a controlled area inside a Military Ammo can that has been opened very little..
        Probably all bad. Just give it to me and I will dispose of it properly for you.

Comment

Old Ammo

Most factory ammo is crimped at throat /neck creating a better seal...and lots of military primers are sealed with a shelac type substance...As far as Reloads I had some 15y old shoot fine (but they had been in AC /heated home)

you could always pull bullets on few and visually check/then fire the empty cartridge in gun to check Primers..It wiil give you a little more info

Comment

They are fine. I shot my grandfathers reloads some of which were 20 years old.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m still shooting stuff that my grandpa loaded up in the early 70’s from time to time.

Still working good

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I have a 7.65 arg mauser that i reloaded for and that was early 70s that are shooting fine also a 303 british both are shooting ok

Comment

Here's what could happen. You might end up with some split necks. The ammo should shoot just fine. If it is not a super duper accurate load you might seat the bullets just a couple thousands deeper. Older reloads sometimes develop cold welding between the jacket and the cartridge case. Breaking the "weld" may save the necks from splitting. If you plan on using the brass again I'd suggest annealing after shooting them.

Comment

All my reloads are crimped and I use a primer sealant .. Plus put them inside an Ammo Can .. So I'm thinking OK ,,

Comment

I shot a deer two years ago with my grand dad's rifle and used his loads he loaded in 1990ish. He died in 1993.

A box of reloads will last my dad 10 years.

They last a long time.

Comment

TTT ... Range Report

Reloads still Good and produces 1/2" 5-Shot groups at 100 yards ..

Not Bad for an Old War Horse (Barrel Stamped July 1943)1903A3 Springfield my Dad got from the NRA back in the Day and Had it sporterized

This is a very special rifle to me since I took my 1st deer sitting with dad @ 12 years old and 1st deer sitting by myself @ 16 years old.

Dad passed on 11 years ago but he still lives on in memories and this will be my sons rifle someday

Comment

sweet rifle! glad you and dad gave it a new and better life.

Comment

Working...
                          X