Throw and Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw and Grow

I decided to try to put in a small food plot using a 5lb bag of Throw and Grow.
    Bought the bag at Academy for $14 to cover 11,000 sq/ft.

Picked an area where I could watch from my gun blind about 80 yrd away.
    If it works, I'll put one in close to my bow blind next year.

Started with an area 20' wide x 30' long.

September 20th, sprayed weeds to kill em.
    September 29th, mowed with lawn mower & weed eater.
    - Then raked to bare ground, wore me out!!!
    September 30th, spread "Throw & Grow" with a hand spreader.
    October 1st, rained for 2 days
    Will up date in two weeks.

Following

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post

FYI, you probably could have saved yourself the raking. Many guys are doing "throw and MOW" now. Kill the vegetation, spread seed and fertilizer, then mow. The thatch acts kinda like a hothouse in that it " makes " a little moisture underneath with the changing of temps, and holds moisture in the ground surface. It won't work for me well on large seeds, the hogs eat the seeds up. Small seeds are a different story though. Good luck !

Comment

dry creek, what are you referring to as large seeds? just curious cause I'm about to do aplot this weekend with oats and clover, and we have a lot of pigs

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post

You would be better off spending $30 on a 50# bag of Winter Wheat.

I have tried throw and grow, the only thing I ended up throwing was my money. $14 for 5lbs that's $140 bucks for a 50# bag.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              dry creek, what are you referring to as large seeds? just curious cause I'm about to do aplot this weekend with oats and clover, and we have a lot of pigs
              Large seeds would be wheat, oats, beans, peas, etc. Small seeds like turnip, clover, etc. can't be picked up by hogs. Pigs won't always pick up seeds, but they try. I've planted wheat and peas before that made a good stand and the pigs had been all over the plot. If they're covered at all you're probably good.

Comment

hmmm interested in this also.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  You would be better off spending $30 on a 50# bag of Winter Wheat.

I have tried throw and grow, the only thing I ended up throwing was my money. $14 for 5lbs that's $140 bucks for a 50# bag.
                  I agree. The Buck-on-Bag blends are made to sell IMO. It's really hard to plant a lot of different sized seeds at the same time. Large seeds need cover, small seeds need to be on top and just rolled in, either with a roller, cultipacker, or just the tires on your truck or atv. I rolled these in with my tractor.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0853.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	24514200
                    Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    I agree. The Buck-on-Bag blends are made to sell IMO. It's really hard to plant a lot of different sized seeds at the same time. Large seeds need cover, small seeds need to be on top and just rolled in, either with a roller, cultipacker, or just the tires on your truck or atv. I rolled these in with my tractor.
                    I use a blend called BuckBusters, it grows good, deer love it. $40 bucks for the regular blend, $50 for the premium. I plant 2 plots with one bag
                    Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-10-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Turner Seed Company ( www.turnerseed.com ) in Breckenridge TX is a great resource for food plots. Very good value for their product and will answer questions also.

Comment

Checked on my food plot this weekend. Did a simple soil check with a tester I purchased from Tractor Supply and the soil is a little acidy at 6.0. So I'm going to add some pelletized lime next trip.
                        But I have about a 1/2" growth on the clover and rye grass. Looks good even tho we have very little rain.

I'm very pleased with everything so far.

This spring we have decided to plant several more food plots on our 500 ac lease. We are going to use a rotor tiller and plant oats and wheat.

Comment

Nice!! Gets some pics if you don’t mind.

Comment

I'll send pics next trip. Sorry meant to this trip but just forgot.

Comment

I bought a 5# bag of the fall Throw n' Grow from Gander Mountain when it was going out of business this summer for $1 or $2 dollars (can't remember how much) to try out.

I waited until the forecast was right and literally just threw it out on the ground in some bare spots in feed pens, trails to feed pens, & some dead areas the day before we got an inch of rain just to see what'd happen and I now have it growing like weeds in every spot I threw it out lol.
                              This past Saturday AM I had a spike come in to the feeder pen late and never once touched a kernel of corn from what I could tell. He was VERY concerned with eating up the young tender rye grass though.

It had to be last years seeds and for how well its come up I'm really happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X