LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Mike, he said he don't believe in scent control or being quite. Guess he don't believe in shooting deer, then.

Well this little fella was bedded about 75 yards away from me when I did my best impression of a freight train using a climbing stand to get in to a tree.

Guess he wasn't a believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's some pics from this weekend's scout trip for those who care.

Group of does

Group of turkey

Muscadine grapes

Coyote pups

Petrified wood

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek View Post
        Here's some pics from this weekend's scout trip for those who care.

Group of does

Group of turkey

Muscadine grapes

Coyote pups

Petrified wood

Nice pics! I'm going to try to get out there this week.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like you had a good trip. I didnt get to make it out last weekend like I'd planned. Might head out Friday night after work the fish the early Saturday morning and scout after.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not at all, cuz even in fall here in texas, there's still a lot of green and by that time, the stuff fades on it anyway.

I'm definitely going to have to try that

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek View Post
              Well this little fella was bedded about 75 yards away from me when I did my best impression of a freight train using a climbing stand to get in to a tree.

Guess he wasn't a believer.

Bet he didn't smell ya, either. Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than to be good. [emoji6]

Comment

Mike, he said he don't believe in scent control or being quite. Guess he don't believe in shooting deer, then.
                Scent controll- Well, you know, different strokes for different folks.

This feller didn't smell me either. And I was sitting on the ground when he walked by me at 5 yards. Course there had been some rain showers. And the wind was almost non-existent. I think me might have been a little distracted. He had his nose to the ground on the trail that went by. Course there was a doe that came by on the very same trail just 5 minutes before that, that I had just shot in the back of the head might have been what was distracting him .

Second weekend in Nov at peak of rut. Field dressed 128lbs. Doe field dressed at 92 lbs. I carried each out field dressed on a frame pack whole. Thank goodness for drizzely upper forty degree days! Kept me cooled down . One of a few honey holes I know of . Took several bucks and does out of that location over the years before the feeding ban. Took a few since of the few times I've been back there. Key is knowing the deer movement. And how they react to "other hunters".

1997- 6.5 yoa -

Wish I was in that kinda shape again.

Comment

It may be a shame I didn't take pics of all the deer I've killed over the years. Just a few occasional pics. Course, they are just meat in the freezer to me, just like pigs/hogs. Only deer have a season and bag limit.

Comment

Nice pictures drycreek. I wish i couldve made it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Scent controll- Well, you know, different strokes for different folks.

This feller didn't smell me either. And I was sitting on the ground when he walked by me at 5 yards. Course there had been some rain showers. And the wind was almost non-existent. I think me might have been a little distracted. He had his nose to the ground on the trail that went by. Course there was a doe that came by on the very same trail just 5 minutes before that, that I had just shot in the back of the head might have been what was distracting him .

Second weekend in Nov at peak of rut. Field dressed 128lbs. Doe field dressed at 92 lbs. I carried each out field dressed on a frame pack whole. Thank goodness for drizzely upper forty degree days! Kept me cooled down . One of a few honey holes I know of . Took several bucks and does out of that location over the years before the feeding ban. Took a few since of the few times I've been back there. Key is knowing the deer movement. And how they react to "other hunters".

1997- 6.5 yoa -

Wish I was in that kinda shape again.
                      Whew, that's hard work. I tried to throw mine over my shoulder... undressed. Couldn't get him past my knees. So I went and got the game cart.

Comment

Yeah, game carts were a luxury item for me back in those days , hence the early 1990s pack frame. I didn't get a cart till 2003 or 2004. Academy had one on clearance for $40. So I got it. And glad I did cause I killed a public lands 300lb sow the same night I got it . Still didn't help much cause I had to drag it across a 1/4 mile mud flat to my little boat. Cart had a 300lb limit . Once there, I couldn't get her in my little boat till I strung her up, weighed, and then field dressed her, because I was by my self. And it was still a pain to get her in once dressed. I was one tired puppy when I got home that Early morning . Once again, thank goodness I was in dang shape . Dang the job I took in May 2005 . Ate my lungs up. I used to do a whole lotta bicycle ride-n, running, and swimming. Raced triathlon for several years. Was in the health and fitness industry for a little while. Pretty much only had wild game for red meat at the house, excluding chicken, turkey, and fish. But they ain't red meat either. Bought my fist steak for the house since the late 1980s about 4 years ago. Cooked my first brisket since late '80s, late last year.
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 07-26-2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I went out scouting today with Txbowslaughter and at found an AWESOME location to hit up in 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice future!! Been wanting to get out there and meet up with slaughter and drycreek. Just time has been an issue.

Comment

Since TPWD doesnt include LBJ in their map and regs book - How do yall go about finding regulations, seasons, bags, etc?

Comment

You can stop by the office and pick up a map and a list of regulations.

Caddo/LBJ National Grasslands
                                1400 N. Hwy 287
                                P.O. Box 507
                                Decatur, Texas 76234
                                (940) 627-5475

The TP&W Outdoor Annual list the hunting and fishing regulations for Wise County.

Here's a link to the NFGT Forest Supervisor's Orders and Prohibitions.

Scroll down to All Grasslands and click on each link below that title.

This one is important. No baiting and stands can only be in place for 72 hours.

Another link to shooting regulations. Shotgun and muzzleloaders only. No target shooting.

Last edited by Froggy; 07-30-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X