Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
    I'm at 225 and have found only two people that can keep up with me.

Also helps I'm in the mountains several times a week .

It does help your body to be lighter, but there are so many other factors to kicking arse in the mountains. Look at guys like the late/great Roy Roth and Cam Hanes, these aren't small guys and they kill it on the mtn.
    Your cheating if you are walking up mountains all the time and want to compare /compete with flatlanders

Comment

Here was my workout tonight. 1.23 mile tire drag with a 33" mud tire and 20# weight vest on top of it. Followed by some accessory work. Working on my squat cleans and clean presses. That mile pulling a tire sucked.

This is my home gym I put together this past year. I built the rack with specs off rogues website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        You can't simulate altitude. The masks to limit air still aren't the same as actually being at 11,000'. If you work for a living and have other things going on in your life, you can't workout 4-8 hours per day either. If you live in Texas and have a job, you really can't full prepare for a backpack hunt at high elevation. You CAN build strength and endurance through exercise. You CAN lose some weight to make life a little easier. You CAN get comfortable with your boots and pack and gear. All of those things that you can do will make it easier. But you will still feel it when you're at 11,000' with a pack on your back. Just be as fit as you can be when you get there and take care of your feet like your hunt depends on them (it does).
        You ain't kidding. I always feel like I'm in good shape till I get there. The first day or so my hip flexors hurt and adjustment in breathing. Getting your boots right is huge. I've noticed doing wind sprints and other exercises that allow ur heart rate to ramp up and learn to control it. I try to do something 3 or so times a week. Walk with 40lbs vest and hand weights outside, treadmill on incline, high intensity weight training. Do different things all the time to work on different muscles and heart rate. Try to stay active throughout year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

and jump rope

Comment

Cardio, weight lifting throughout the off season. I will start hitting the bleachers/stairs soon. No hills in Houston that I know of to climb. We will be packing into Colorado for early season elk, then dropping down into New Mexico for a guided hunt. The guided hunt is a breeze compared to the Colorado pack in hunt. I need to get used to the weight of my pack again. I'm 6' 192 now. Looking to drop about 8 to 10 lbs of fat.

Comment

I'm in. Won't be hunting anywhere that needs it this year but hoping to get NM or CO for '18

Looking for a weight vest right. Lots of kettle bells and starting to run again. I'm wanting to drop another 15 to get back to lean again
              Last edited by hooligan; 05-31-2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I am in the process for getting ready for next year as well. I am 6' and weigh probably about 270, yes that is a lot but I eat unhealthy and lift weights. I am changing up how I eat and drink and also how I work out. I'm starting to jog more and with the dogs, seems like I can go further running with them. Also I have started meal prepping and cut out soda's, and cutting back on sweets like ice cream and what have you.

Really looking forward to next year and hope to draw out for a mule deer in New Mexico!

Comment

I'm 25 pounds heavier than last time I got off Colorado mountain. I plan to let Chris Martin carry my stuff.

No BS. I've never had a problem hiking with a pack physically it's the not being able to breathe part that kills me. Last year we were above timberline our whole hunt and we'd have to stop every 25 yards just to catch our breath.

Looking forward to redemption this year and filling my tag.

Comment

I'm officially in "pre-hunt" fitness mode as well! This is the time of the year when I switch from pure powerlifting to mixing in lots of rucking, HIIT and general cardio!

Yesterday I loaded up 85lbs in my pack, and hiked 2.4 miles in 48 minutes, including a 200yd run at the end! Running when you're 316lbs (instead of 223) is tough!

My powerlifting has also been paying dividends for my next elk hunt, since I'm deadlifting 530, squatting 425 and benching 330! You never know when you might need to bench press an elk! hahahah

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                      I'm 25 pounds heavier than last time I got off Colorado mountain. I plan to let Chris Martin carry my stuff.

No BS. I've never had a problem hiking with a pack physically it's the not being able to breathe part that kills me. Last year we were above timberline our whole hunt and we'd have to stop every 25 yards just to catch our breath.

Looking forward to redemption this year and filling my tag.

I'll carry your sammich while you carry your buck out.

Comment

A picture worth a thousand words

Comment

Following

Comment

Love reading all of this.

I hunted New Mexico last year and we were at about 8500 feet. I worked my tail off from April until September getting ready. Cardio, weights and a lot of HIIT stuff. I play basketball a couple days a week and have been lifting 5 days a week with a longer weekend run. Last year I had no problems at all keeping up with my guide. So that is my goal for this year too. And I have been following a very similar plan this year.

I will start to add some incline hikes with a weighted pack in my hunting boots in the next month or so.

I am 6'2 185 and would like to get 5 more pounds off before we hit Summer Vacation time. I plan to keep the same regiment as we get closer but up my leg workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Martin View Post
                              I'll carry your sammich while you carry your buck out.

I just went and re-read your 2013 Mule Deer recap. Still one of my favorite threads. Good luck to you guys this Fall.

Comment

Still too early....
                                After July 4th is my motto.

Comment

Working...
                                X