No announcement yet.

Be careful with kids and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife and I are in the process of becoming foster parents, and one of the many requirements is that we build a 6-ft fence around our pool, which is unfenced because we have no kids, and we live way out in the country. It’s expensive and inconvenient, but it’s something that needs to be done because of situations just like this.

Comment

It can happen fast! My daughter isn't the best swimmer but she can tread water. We went to a birthday party at Keller Pointe and she wanted to go down the big water slide. Wife told her ok. I figured I would just go stand where they come out so I could get her out as we were about to leave. She wears a small float that goes on her back. When she got up to the top they made her take it off. So she comes out the slide and her float shoots across the pool. I could instantly she was in distress. She couldn't touch bottom and started to panic. The life guard was 6' away from her in the pool. The life guard didn't move. I jumped over the life guard and into the pool. Grabbed my daughter who was now starting to go under water. I picked her up and on to the edge of the pool and made her cough. That was probably one of the most scary situations I've ever been in with my kid. The life guard told me after OMG, that just happened. Yeah, it did. I'm glad I decided to go over there.

Comment

No one wants to go through the hardship this family is presently enduring. Too rough to continue the thread on the green screen.

Comment

I'm a home inspector and pool inspector. Here are some thoughts.
          If your house is a part of the fence barrier. Every door and window going out to the pool needs to have an alarm sound. Not your house alarm...
          If you have a door in your garage going out to your yard with a pool, you have to have a dead bolt on the top part of your door.
          Any wood or etc fence cannot have an opening for little Johnny to crawl through to get to neighbors pool.
          State of Texas from my understanding if you own a pool you better know the safety concerns of the surrounding pool area. No negligence for not knowing. Like every pool should have a visible throwing device like a donut or pole with a hook that is visible. Not thrown behind the fence with the pool equipment.
          It's all about keeping little Johnny safe.
          Good info and thanks for sharing. I do have a question regarding fencing. How is it that I see so many pools around my area, Southeast Texas that do not have a fence around them? I thought it was a requirement?

I have a neighbor that was complaining about receiving a letter that their insurance was being cancelled due to a trampoline on the property but not for the lack of fence around the pool. Can you or anyone elaborate on the lack of fences being acceptable?

Comment

Totally I agree and I taught mine to swim as soon as they could walk. I had my 20 month granddaughter in the pool last night blowing bubbles and kicking. If you want them drown proof teach them to swim.

Comment

Be careful with kids and pools

Olympian Alpine Skier, Bode Miller recently lost his daughter.

We have the safe fence around ours, but I’m still paranoid.

My kids are little fish, but then again...every drowning I know of from a personal experience happened to a person who new how to swim.

Had a buddy in high school. Family had been in the pool all afternoon and moved to the hot tub before heading in for the night. All but Jake went in as he decided to dip in the pool real quick. He dove in and seized up, he nearly clawed his way to the steps as they found plaster under his nails... but, he didn’t make it.

Knowing how to swim is half the battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Chad C; 06-13-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X