No announcement yet.

Range Rover, Land Rover questions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve never owned a Range Rover but my friends that have feel like most of the guys on here have stated, just not very reliable. We’ve had great experiences with Lexus and Infiniti, both have been extremely reliable.

Comment

We have the 2016 RR supercharged. It’s the best and most impressive SUV I’ve ever driven and I’m terrified about its future past the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
        What about Acura’s or infinity’s ?
        Both awesome vehicles.

Comment

We've owned multiple Infiniti SUVs and wouldn't hesitate to own another. Have only heard good things about Acuras too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh forgot to add this.

If you like a Range Rover, you will love the BMW X5. Why ? They are pretty much the same derivative.

How so ?

BMW owned Land Rover before selling it to Ford. In 2003 Land Rover introduced the next generation Range Rover. Many of the parts from the new Range Rover interchanged with the X5. The 4.4 engine was all BMW.

BMW took the off road tidbits from Land Rovers 3 models , Range Rover, Discovery and Freelander to develop their own line up of SUV’s to supplement the awesome auto line up of BMW. BMW then sold the company to Ford.

Being the 4.4 had patent rights to BMW, Ford had to pay for each engine. Ford eventually produced the LR3 with a 300 HP in order to stare down BMW and their demands for engine royalties.

So all in all, that BMW X5 is about as close as you will find to a Range Rover. Developers have tweaked them since, but by and large, look at them both, not much has changed. Land Rover came out with the Super Sport/Charged a mini Luxury Rover later. Not sure if it’s Ford Explorer or not. But the tail gate on the Range Rover looks like it could interchange with the Ford Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well thanks guys , Range Rover is out of the picture. I knew there had to be a reason the resale was so low. Was finding 2012- 2104 for around 16 to 20 grand . Anywhere from 80 to 100k miles

Comment

Too rich for my blood.

Comment

Wife is on her 2nd Infiniti SUV. Her 2013 has 108,000 miles on it and has never given us a problem. The regular maintenance at the dealership is ridiculously expensive, but it’s a dang fine car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The resale value is low because they are garbage.

Lexus, Toyota, Nissan, all make better SUVs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well thanks guys , Range Rover is out of the picture. I knew there had to be a reason the resale was so low. Was finding 2012- 2104 for around 16 to 20 grand . Anywhere from 80 to 100k miles
                      I’m about to trade in my 2012 RR with 85k miles on it for $19.5k and probably get a Yukon. I don’t think that is that low of a resale value for a 7 year old vehicle with close to 100k miles on it. Range Rovers are not that much more expensive than any other SUV out there (especially before the current body style). Sure they don’t hold resale like a LX but not many vehicles do. I imagine it is on par with the Cadillacs, BMWs, etc. I know everybody likes to toss in how expensive and unreliable these vehicles are but it just hasn’t been my experience (owning three different LR vehicles) or the experience of every friend of mine who has one. Most people I know who drive LRs continue to do so until they need a type of vehicle LR doesn’t make (as I am about to do).

All that said if I was getting a vehicle in the $16k-$20k range I would steer clear of any luxury vehicle (other than Lexus). Even if nothing goes wrong maintenance is always going to cost considerably more than say a Chevy, Ford or Toyota product and as a vehicle ages I always try to do more routine maintenance than for a newer vehicle. I love LandCruisers and probably would just get as new of one of those that fits the budget.

Comment

Didn’t go through all of the responses but I bought one (slightly used) for my wife several years ago. While we owned it the warranty expired. The repair costs are just stupid. The one that made me blow my gasket and sell it was the bill for just shy of $1,100 to CHANGE THE BRAKE PADS.

That Range Rover rode like a dream and was an awesome vehicle to ride in a drive. I just didn’t like what the experience when it went to the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                          Didn’t go through all of the responses but I bought one (slightly used) for my wife several years ago. While we owned it the warranty expired. The repair costs are just stupid. The one that made me blow my gasket and sell it was the bill for just shy of $1,100 to CHANGE THE BRAKE PADS.

That Range Rover rode like a dream and was an awesome vehicle to ride in a drive. I just didn’t like what the experience when it went to the shop.
                          Out of curiosity is this at a dealership? I had this done two weeks ago and just looked at the bill and it was $563 at the shop I take my RR too (no idea how this price compares to other vehicle makes). I have never owned a LR in warranty so have never used a dealership for repairs so just curious.

Comment

We don’t have a dealership here but there is a factory certified repair center. I called several actual dealers and their pricing was comparable.

In all fairness, this was 8 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                              We don’t have a dealership here but there is a factory certified repair center. I called several actual dealers and their pricing was comparable.

In all fairness, this was 8 years ago.
                              Worse now. I got quoted 3k for brake pads at 20k miles. Went to a specialty import car place and got it done for much, much less.

Comment

Some correct info and lots of misinformation in here. Reliability and problems will vary with each model and year. I’ve owned 5 Land Rovers personally, and my wife currently drives an 08 Range Rover Supercharged, and my dad drives a 15 LR4.

The P38 Range Rovers and the Dicovery II’s were the worst of them all IMO. Ford rushed to turn out a new product as soon as they bought Land Rover and they will all have a laundry list of failures at some point, including head gaskets, engine blocks cracking, etc.

The 03-05 Range Rovers did use a BMW engine and some electronics, but that’s where the similarities end with an X5. My wife had an 08 before her Range Rover and it was just a car with a taller body on it. I did a U-turn over a median with it once and it felt like it was going to rip in half. We got rid of it when it needed new catalytic converters to the tune of $5,000 when it was 3k miles out of warranty. BMW NA told me to get bent. The interior was also equivalent to an old Hyundai after being in a Range Rover.

The 06+ Range Rovers use a Jaguar engine that is solid, but it was adapted to the platform with some electronics that had minor issues. 08-10 are pretty dang bulletproof, I’m not as familiar with the newer models.

Hers has 133k miles on it, besides brakes, oil changes, and tires, the only work I’ve done in it was replace an air strut. It was under $500 and took me less than an hour to install. To be fair, the TPMS does throw a “check tire pressure” code intermittently, the lower front control arm bushings are getting worn and need to be replaced, and the return spring inside the door lock broke the other day. The door still opens fine but the key doesn’t re-center itself.

If you want one purely because they are cheap secondhand they aren’t the car for you. If you want one of the best driving vehicles there is and are willing to put up with some maintenance and temperament from time to time, they are worth looking at. Hers had a sticker of $98,500 new, we paid $26,000 for it. There isn’t a better balance of performance and comfort IMO, and I’ve driven quite a few high end vehicles.

I’ll bet most 08+ Range Rovers will have cheaper repair bills than 08+ 3/4 ton diesels, to put that in perspective.
                                Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 05-05-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X