LBJ Grasslands 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordtough68 View Post
    Now, if only my muzzleloader was sighted in!!! I have no idea where I can go to shoot it a few times to make sure, near dfw. I'm sure it's close, but it's came 1200 miles and 12 months since I shot it, so I have to check it before I can hunt with it. Was really wanting to go tomorrow too. Good luck all!
    I shot my muzzleloader at Elm Fork off Luna rd in Dallas. May be a little far for you

Comment

I'll be out Friday afternoon - Sunday evening. I'll report what I see going on in the woods! Good to luck to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Jtaps View Post
        I shot my muzzleloader at Elm Fork off Luna rd in Dallas. May be a little far for you
        If you're hunting LBJ you can target shoot unit 3. W st of Alvod.

Comment

I think unit 3 is shotgun only- Unit 3 is open to target shooting with shotguns.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
            I think unit 3 is shotgun only- Unit 3 is open to target shooting with shotguns.
            All of LBJ is shotgun or muzzleloader only. I don't think there is any unit that is shotgun only.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
              I'll be out Friday afternoon - Sunday evening. I'll report what I see going on in the woods! Good to luck to everyone!
              Have fun and I hope you get a shot at a giant

Comment

I checked one of my cameras today and was pleasantly surprised. I've had about 4 different bucks in the last week come into this scrape. Wed and Thu night, these gents came in at about 4:30pm. I sat on stand tonight and saw nothing. Exciting times to be in the deer woods. We'll see what tomorrow holds. Good luck to all!
                Attached Files

Comment

I saw one deer all weekend... Grunted in a 4 point from 200 yards off yesterday morning. I grunted, he stopped, hit the can and he came running to the tree. Got behind me, caught my wind and trotted off. Pretty cool. However, I was hoping for better. I didn't hear hardly any shots. Maybe they're in first phase of lockdown? Hopefully they'll be moving next weekend.

Comment

Dang that sucks I'm headed out in the morning

Comment

The bucks were moving late morning on my lease near the grasslands. With this full moon coming on it would be wise to hunt mid-morning into the early afternoon. I saw 7 bucks this weekend between 9-11:00 am.

Give me a call JoDan and I'll buy you the best burger in Wise County at the Greenwood Country Store.

Comment

I'll give you a cal in the morning David

Comment

After seeing several deer during archery season but no shot opportunities, I decided to give it a go this morning with the boomstick. On my way in, I notice a solid rub on a mesquite and two scrapes about 75 yards from my stand on the trail leading in.

All was quiet until about 8:45, when I looked to my left and saw this buck walking down the same trail, only 30 yards away. Never heard him! No kidding, I said "holy cr@p" out loud I was so surprised. He takes a good look at me, but I quickly notice his inside spread is past the ears, so I avert my eyes and turn into stone. Eventually he decided that blob in the tree was harmless and continued down the hill a few steps and turned off the trail.

He was behind some cover now so I went into go mode and got my shotgun up. As he cleared the cover he was quartering to me so I put the crosshairs in front of his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He drops on the spot, kicks a little, and is done. Wahoo! Got both lungs and some collateral damage, heard some gurgling. Took me a minute to process it because everything happened so fast!

This is my first buck on public land, and easily my best overall. Not a bruiser, but a dandy to me. His right antler is pretty funky, with a 2.5" kicker sticking out of the rear of the base, a G2 that sprouts an inch from the brow tine, and another kicker off the back of the antler about halfway up. All in all, a nine pointer with character if you count everything.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by FeetDown; 11-13-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

His right antler is funky all the way around! I like that.

Comment

Congratulations! Very cool buck!

Comment

very nice buck, congratulations.
                                Troy, haven't heard from you in awhile, thinking about going out there this Sat afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X