car sale question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car sale question

Question for you all....I sold a guy our '68 Mustang about 5 months ago. He called last night saying he has been working out of town and just got the opportunity to get the title transferred, only now he has lost the title. I have a bill of sale. Do I have to apply for lost title and go through all of that, or is it legally his responsibility? Thank you!

I'd let him fix his own mistake. It's not your fault he is irresponsible.

Comment

Without a title, he has to either do a bonded title with bill of sale, or you have to file for lost title and redo the transaction. In the meantime you technically own the car. If both of you go together to the tax office they might be able to work it out. I'd make him do all the work.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
        Without a title, he has to either do a bonded title with bill of sale, or you have to file for lost title and redo the transaction. In the meantime you technically own the car. If both of you go together to the tax office they might be able to work it out. I'd make him do all the work.
        If you got what you wanted for the car and he wasn't a jerk then i agree with the above. Just make time to go with him and get it done. No need to be mean about it. Things happen and you obviously had the same love for a particular car so just be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tadmaryperry View Post
          Question for you all....I sold a guy our '68 Mustang about 5 months ago. He called last night saying he has been working out of town and just got the opportunity to get the title transferred, only now he has lost the title. I have a bill of sale. Do I have to apply for lost title and go through all of that, or is it legally his responsibility? Thank you!

Have him call the tax office and let him handle it. You don't need to do anything. It's a great learning experience for him.

Comment

Sounds like his problem now.

Comment

You can file for a lost title since the last one was in your name. I've done it before. It's not a big deal. Obviously he should reimburse you for the charges by the state.

These things will happen and when they do, it's an opportunity to help others.

Comment

i would let him file for the lost title, all he needs is a bill of sale and time.

Comment

No big deal really. Have him do all the legwork, but I would help him out. No reason to make things hard for someone just because you can. File for the lost title, the state will mail duplicate to you or lienholder if you had a loan against it, then sign it. It will cost $28.

Comment

It's up to you but going online and filing for a lost title is quick and easy but getting a bonded title sounds like a royal PITA.

Comment

If it's as simple as doing it online it won't take any more time out of your day then surfing on here. Accidents happen and it's your good deed for the day. I would still do it if I had to go to the tax office even though always seem to spend at least an hour at those places in line but I would definitely take my time and do it at my convenience. Think about how much it would suck to be in his shoes.

Comment

No fun. As stated by a few, you might as well try and help them if reasonably possible.

With that said, that's why I sold my last truck to CarMax. Been there and done that. Sold a car to a guy about 10 years back that never transferred the title. Talk about a mess with the HCTRA as he decided to rack up a few toll violations with the car still being in my name.

Don't think I'd sell another vehicle on the private market without meeting the buyer at the tax office. Some people will always have some sort of excuse. At the end of the day, it's pure laziness to not get the title transferred within a reasonable time frame.
                        Last edited by CaptainDave; 05-23-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I would just go down to the local dmv. and get a lost title. last time I did this it took about 10 min, $5.50 and I had the title when I left. No big deal at all. I work at a dealership and you wouldn't believe how many people lose the title to their vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                            Sounds like his problem now.
                            Yes but the only problem with that is they title is not in his name yet. Yes he has a bill of sale but if he goes through toll roads, gets a ticket etc that could be a pain in the but!!

Comment

Chance here to make a difference and help another person. They might even remember your effort and not hesitate to help somebody else in the future when the opportunity presents itself.

Society as a whole spends too much time justifying who is at fault vs "How can I make a difference/help?"

Comment

Working...
                              X