Hot Shot hauling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Shot hauling

Who does it and hows the market right now on finding steady work hauling in Texas?

What kinda money can one make doing this?

Looking at getting in but want more info before I pull the trigger on a truck and trailer and all the other fees and paperwork.

Would be using a 1 ton and a gooseneck.

In for replies!

I need 3 big blinds and stands brought from Austin to east of Houston in a few weeks.

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals

Comment

I am no expert and I have been out for a while. With a 1-ton and a gooseneck, your hitting DOT regulated weight. A lot more rules and regs to follow. I was averaging around $100 an hour in my single cab F150 with most loads riding shotgun in the passenger seat. Probably could have done it in a Prius. That being said, that’s the market I went after. Donuts and cards, cards and doughnuts. I got in good with a coring sample company and stayed busy before the initial slow down a few years back. It’s a lot of road time and I didn’t like being away from the family. Had a million dollar insurance policy for a couple hundred bucks a month. I had fun while it lasted. With motivation and determination, you can start making money quickly. And you don’t have to break the bank doing it. Now the truck and trailer are gonna make you more marketable, but come at a cost. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
        I am no expert and I have been out for a while. With a 1-ton and a gooseneck, your hitting DOT regulated weight. A lot more rules and regs to follow. I was averaging around $100 an hour in my single cab F150 with most loads riding shotgun in the passenger seat. Probably could have done it in a Prius. That being said, that’s the market I went after. Donuts and cards, cards and doughnuts. I got in good with a coring sample company and stayed busy before the initial slow down a few years back. It’s a lot of road time and I didn’t like being away from the family. Had a million dollar insurance policy for a couple hundred bucks a month. I had fun while it lasted. With motivation and determination, you can start making money quickly. And you don’t have to break the bank doing it. Now the truck and trailer are gonna make you more marketable, but come at a cost. Good luck!

What did that entail?

Good to know I have a 1/2 ton now even access a 17' F250 if needed just no trailer yet.

I was looking at that Uship site saw plenty of loads I could haul now but what do i need to do it legit/legal?

Comment

I got a stack of doughnuts and a stack of business cards. I kept them in front of the people I was going after every week. Wanted them to keep seeing my face.

Comment

I have a trucking company, go talk to local equipment rental companies and haul their equipment. I’ve been doing that for the last 10 years.

Comment

Everyone I’ve known that has tried it wasn’t able to make it go for one reason or another. Tough business, but somebody has to do it. Might as well be you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Foremost you better have funds available or solid financial backing to get you thru until companies you haul for pay you. My son has a trucking company that has been hauling oilfield equipment going on 10 years now. Mostly he has 30 18 wheelers and has cut back to 4 goosenecks. Most companies he hauls for pay between 60 & 120 days. So unless you have cash available for equipment, fuel, taxes, Cargo insurance, Dot fees & fines, maintenance and equipment breakdowns, maybe you should think twice. Not saying you can’t do it, but it’s a lot more involved than just buying a truck & trailer. You would be surprised at how many of the big boy oil companies and service companies are the worst in paying. Oh, not to mention lawyers fees to collect that money and to deal with lawsuits from traffic accidents. Next time you drive the highways or watch TV commercials, count the number of lawyer ads you see. There are a lot of people on the road hoping to receive their retirement at trucker’s expense. Just for the record, not all accidents are caused by the hotshotters or long haul drivers. Food for thought & good luck. One more inconvenience, be ready to deal with Electronic Log issues. If you still plan to get into this business, good luck.

Comment

I was very unconventional. My uncle was a hot shot owner/operator for 30 plus years. I told him what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it and he gave me the advice I needed to make it happen. That being said, I wasn’t trying to make a living doing it. I was just looking to make some good part time money. One of these guys on this site is gonna give you better advice. I’m just telling you that you don’t have to go broke getting started. Heck my first haul had nothing to do with the oil field. A plumbing company needed a toilet delivered. I strapped it in the truck and took off!

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                    Foremost you better have funds available or solid financial backing to get you thru until companies you haul for pay you. My son has a trucking company that has been hauling oilfield equipment going on 10 years now. Mostly he has 30 18 wheelers and has cut back to 4 goosenecks. Most companies he hauls for pay between 60 & 120 days. So unless you have cash available for equipment, fuel, taxes, Cargo insurance, Dot fees & fines, maintenance and equipment breakdowns, maybe you should think twice. Not saying you can’t do it, but it’s a lot more involved than just buying a truck & trailer. You would be surprised at how many of the big boy oil companies and service companies are the worst in paying. Oh, not to mention lawyers fees to collect that money and to deal with lawsuits from traffic accidents. Next time you drive the highways or watch TV commercials, count the number of lawyer ads you see. There are a lot of people on the road hoping to receive their retirement at trucker’s expense. Just for the record, not all accidents are caused by the hotshotters or long haul drivers. Food for thought & good luck. One more inconvenience, be ready to deal with Electronic Log issues. If you still plan to get into this business, good luck.
                    why don't you factor your tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                      This is all words of wisdom here. I was going to type that but Gatt covers it all. My Goa used to have a trucking company and got rid of it when DOT kept changing and enforcing new rules/regs.

I would look into contract hauling for companies like ACME.

Comment

do you have a cdl yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
                          I was very unconventional. My uncle was a hot shot owner/operator for 30 plus years. I told him what I wanted to do and how I wanted to do it and he gave me the advice I needed to make it happen. That being said, I wasn’t trying to make a living doing it. I was just looking to make some good part time money. One of these guys on this site is gonna give you better advice. I’m just telling you that you don’t have to go broke getting started. Heck my first haul had nothing to do with the oil field. A plumbing company needed a toilet delivered. I strapped it in the truck and took off!
                          Same here really just looking for extra cash but if it turns into full time gig then great.

Not looking to work the oil patches they are too far Id have to move. Im in the Austin area. I was thinking cars, equipment, trailers stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                            I have a trucking company, go talk to local equipment rental companies and haul their equipment. I’ve been doing that for the last 10 years.
                            Good to know I just figured they hauled their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                              do you have a cdl yet?
                              I did but was not using it so let it go a year ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X