No announcement yet.

New Hog Hunting Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.I had a very similar thing happen to me with a ladder stand.

Comment

Glad everything endex okay. This is why I like using lifelines. You just never know.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you made it out ok!

Comment

I'm in the stand!! All the corn I dumped out yesterday is still here. We'll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a pig in the right side of you pic

Comment

sweet set up. good luck.

Comment

There's been some big hogs rubbing mud on these trees.

Comment

Note to self...its thermacell weather again.

Comment

Glad everything worked out with the "scare" Ryan! And yeah, its already skeeter time! Good luck on runnin an arrow through one a them muddy suckers Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Dang, bad things can happen fast. Certainly glad all ended well for you my friend.

Comment

I have several 15' ladder stands and have had to set up and move them around a hundred times over the years. It's always an adventure and a couple of times it was down right dangerous. I've even had to climb/slide down trees I was stranded up in when I had to make a choice between being a regular squirrel or a flying squirrel.

Still do it alone all the time but I'm definitely more cautious than when I was younger and more physically capable.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think I'll hunt that high much anymore. Now that I'm setting up closer, it makes my shots pretty steep being up that high. I can't seem needing to get higher than about 12 feet now. 8-12 seems about perfect for a 12-15 yard shot. I got skunked yesterday evening. Tried to update, but for some reason I get very little cell service at camp but have pretty good service everywhere else on the place.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                            I don't think I'll hunt that high much anymore. Now that I'm setting up closer, it makes my shots pretty steep being up that high. I can't seem needing to get higher than about 12 feet now. 8-12 seems about perfect for a 12-15 yard shot. I got skunked yesterday evening. Tried to update, but for some reason I get very little cell service at camp but have pretty good service everywhere else on the place.

I have concluded the same about stand height. I really like the angles on an 8' but I think it is still a bit low (at least for deer.) I like the 10-12' range. 15 is getting a bit too steep for me. I had a similar conversation about stand height with a few other trad TBHers and 10-12 seems to be a common preference.

They are also a lot easier to setup too!

Comment

I like being on the ground the best, but if I need to sit in a tree, it usually won't be much over 12' high. The biggest whitetail bucks I have ever killed have all been out of the same treestand - it was 25' to the base of the stand! I really did not like the angle at all, but it was in too good of a spot, and that was the only place in that particular tree that the stand would hang right!

Bisch
                              Last edited by Bisch; 03-09-2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                I have several 15' ladder stands and have had to set up and move them around a hundred times over the years. It's always an adventure and a couple of times it was down right dangerous. I've even had to climb/slide down trees I was stranded up in when I had to make a choice between being a regular squirrel or a flying squirrel.

Still do it alone all the time but I'm definitely more cautious than when I was younger and more physically capable.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Yeah...and another thing I'll pay more attention to in the future is those straps. This one would just about crumble. If I hadn't put that new strap halfway up the ladder I would've fallen for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X