Tilson Homes . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilson Homes . . . .

Anybody here have some experience dealing with this company? . . . . I would appreciate any information, Thanks

I did work for them years ago. They paid all their trades on time and seamed to build a nice home. Sorry i don't have more info. for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
      Anybody here have some experience dealing with this company? . . . . I would appreciate any information, Thanks
      They are building my home as we speak...What kind of information do you want?

Comment

nope

Comment

We were going to use them in 08 when built new house but had problems with dirt for foundation. Same dirt being used on every house in area would not pass compaction test. Went with another house builder same layout custom woodwork and extras for same price.

Comment

Did some work for them a long LONG time ago..... but they seemed like a solid build.

Comment

I checked into them extensively before I settled on a house design and builder. They had a house that we really liked and were building one just like it here locally. As luck may have it a man I knew became a project manager for then and gave me some insight.
              My findings were that they have a base package of materials such as flooring, cabinets, carpet, trim, etc. etc. that they use. If you want to delete the vinyl floors and add ceramic tile they are super expensive. The cabinets they use are generally a step above Home Depot and we wanted custom all wood. Again, a major price increase. The house we liked was the San Jacinto and it did not come with a garage. When we inquired about adding one on (which would be easy) the fee again was astronomical. The house had a red brick facade in front of the house and Hardee board all around. We inquired about having 100% brick and again it was a huge fee. I monitored the work progress on the house and the workmanship was suspect. The quality was mediocre at best and generally sloppy. I put a pencil to the house with all the changes we wanted made and per square foot it would have cost me more than any of the true custom built homes we had looked at. The bottom line from what I could see is this. They have about 10 floor plans they build all the time. They have a mediocre options plan that if you can live with, OK. The cabinets we saw were flimsy, not well made factory cabinets. Middle of the road flooring etc. If you look hard enough you can build a custom home for less. The home I built is all custom. Granite and ceramic everywhere. Custom all wood cabinets. Rock all the way around. 1100 square ft of porches and 3200 square ft of living space. Wanescot inside, crown mold. Cast Iron tubs with tile shower, jacuzzi tub, free standing glass showers with tile. 2 ac/ heat units one up and one down stairs. I added 7k worth of concrete outside for driveways, sidewalks and bbq pit. the list goes on and on.
              3200 sq ft. for 212,000. You do the math. If I can help you in any way please don't hesitate to ask me I will point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

Comment

Good company that stands behind their product. They've been doing it for a long time, which is not what a lot of home builders can say.

Comment

The house would be built in Wood County. Do they contract locally or do it themselves? Can you order one built without shelving, flooring, etc. and get your own contractors? Just curious . . . .

Comment

They built the house across the street from us, probably 1996.

Almost lost the forms on the slab. 1 corner isn't square where it kick out.

House is still there...

Workmanship (besides the slab) seemed more in line with a lesser quality tract home versus the custom build we had.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
                      The house would be built in Wood County. Do they contract locally or do it themselves? Can you order one built without shelving, flooring, etc. and get your own contractors? Just curious . . . .
                      They usually have subs that work in a particular area and they pretty much stick to those subs.

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                        I checked into them extensively before I settled on a house design and builder. They had a house that we really liked and were building one just like it here locally. As luck may have it a man I knew became a project manager for then and gave me some insight.
                        My findings were that they have a base package of materials such as flooring, cabinets, carpet, trim, etc. etc. that they use. If you want to delete the vinyl floors and add ceramic tile they are super expensive. The cabinets they use are generally a step above Home Depot and we wanted custom all wood. Again, a major price increase. The house we liked was the San Jacinto and it did not come with a garage. When we inquired about adding one on (which would be easy) the fee again was astronomical. The house had a red brick facade in front of the house and Hardee board all around. We inquired about having 100% brick and again it was a huge fee. I monitored the work progress on the house and the workmanship was suspect. The quality was mediocre at best and generally sloppy. I put a pencil to the house with all the changes we wanted made and per square foot it would have cost me more than any of the true custom built homes we had looked at. The bottom line from what I could see is this. They have about 10 floor plans they build all the time. They have a mediocre options plan that if you can live with, OK. The cabinets we saw were flimsy, not well made factory cabinets. Middle of the road flooring etc. If you look hard enough you can build a custom home for less. The home I built is all custom. Granite and ceramic everywhere. Custom all wood cabinets. Rock all the way around. 1100 square ft of porches and 3200 square ft of living space. Wanescot inside, crown mold. Cast Iron tubs with tile shower, jacuzzi tub, free standing glass showers with tile. 2 ac/ heat units one up and one down stairs. I added 7k worth of concrete outside for driveways, sidewalks and bbq pit. the list goes on and on.
                        3200 sq ft. for 212,000. You do the math. If I can help you in any way please don't hesitate to ask me I will point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

I had Tilson build our house about 11 years ago. the above is pretty much what I went through. I had to do most all of the QCing as the superintendant was too busy.

I did some of my own work. it is all negotiable. I think "custom" is a stretch though.

Comment

when we were building our new home in march of 2010 they seemed fairly high. we built our custom built home for 132000 and tilson wanted to charge us 247560.. for the same exact things in it.. when the totals were done.. they were gonna make over 90000 just on us ... u tell me the price diff lol

Comment

PM sent

Comment

they are not a true custom builder. if i was to have a house built i would use a custom builder, do to the fact you get treated like you a person instead of just a number.

Comment

Working...
                              X