Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
    Is that the Kimber?

Yes. I actually posted on a thread here a few years ago when someone posted pics and said I would buy it if he ever sold it. The dude actually PM’d me way later about selling it and I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m looking to be around 6-6.5 pounds bare. I’m fine with handling recoil for the amount of shot that will be taken. This will not be a target rifle so it won’t be getting that much range use other the sighting in and load development. It’s sole purpose will be hunting on backpack trips. With that said I am still open to other calibers. 300 WM was just what I was most familiar with. This is all still just in the idea phase so still not sure when or what I’m going to do. I would prefer doing a custom build over buying a factory rifle. I have some the most fun with deciding what parts to pick to get the perfect finished product.

Comment

Which species of bear? Personally, I'd go with the Kimber in 308 for a turn-key non-custom rifle for elk and black bear....moose can be done with it as well although it might be a bit light.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
          Which species of bear? Personally, I'd go with the Kimber in 308 for a turn-key non-custom rifle for elk and black bear....moose can be done with it as well although it might be a bit light.
          I have been planning to taking some Alaskan trips in the next few years so a rifle capable of taking black or brown bears would be ideal. I have also thought about 7mm RM. Had one when I was younger when hunting up north and liked it.

Comment

Check out Rifles Inc. in Pleasanton.

Comment

The main thing for me with a rifle to carry around in the mountains is to be able to bushwhack around and not worry about scratching it. I'd sacrifice a pound of weight to keep it in the $1k range.

Comment

I would vote for the 300wsm also. It is a great caliber for mountain hunting. Spouse and I both shoot 300wsm, I load 165-168 gr bonded bullets while spouse likes 180 gr bonded bullets. Lots of choices in that caliber. A short action is made for mountain rifles.
                Those rifles pictured above look awesome to me though and a 280 sounds very intriguing.
                30 caliber just seems to work great for any species we hunt, antelope up to bison and perhaps grizz in the next year or two. Wyoming hunts may start soon with delisting.
                Sounds like you have lots of good resources down there, have fun with the build.

Comment

Rifles, Inc. Titanium Strata would be one I'd look at if I had the money.

Comment

Kimber Mountain Ascent in 300wm. $1900 and be done with it. Awesome super light rifle, and with the muzzle break, very low recoil. My friend has one, and it's a really sweet gun.

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                      Fierce builds off a Sako clone action in titanium, which is IMO a hundred times better than a Rem 700 action that most customs use. Full disclosure, I have customs in a 700, and factory Sakos, but not a Fierce.

Yeah, very impressive. Warning- don’t handle one if you don’t want to be tempted like a free lap-dance.

Comment

Lightest rifle I ever heals was made by “Best of The West”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                          We have built a few insanely light(for cartridge) 28 Noslers and 300 WM's recently for the very purposes you mentioned. Titanium and carbon fiber certainly aren't cheap, but they will allow a full sized rifle to carry like a dream and still be easy to get behind. Have not built one without a brake
                          Ding ding ding!!! Pay for the good stuff and you wont be disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            Ding ding ding!!! Pay for the good stuff and you wont be disappointed!
                            Imagining sliding down a scree field or climbing up a creek embankment with an APR... y'all are fancier than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                              Imagining sliding down a scree field or climbing up a creek embankment with an APR... y'all are fancier than I am.
                              Funny you mention that. I was out at a friends shop in AZ last year visiting with him. I was telling him how nervous the CF barrels made me from a fixturing standpoint, and all of the pains we go through to baby them through the chambering process. He looked at me like I was crazy then proceeded to grab one off his rack and knocked the $#^* out his his toolbox with it then handed it to me! The dude is crazy, but I don't worry about them quite as much as I did before that little demo Seriously though, those guys hunt vertical, rocky country almost always. When they aren't building rifles they are guiding in that same country for Coues, Elk or somewhere else chasing sheep. The CF builds hold up as good or better than anything according to them. It's been my experience as well when compared to blued or cerakoted steel. CF stocks will take a lick as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                                Funny you mention that. I was out at a friends shop in AZ last year visiting with him. I was telling him how nervous the CF barrels made me from a fixturing standpoint, and all of the pains we go through to baby them through the chambering process. He looked at me like I was crazy then proceeded to grab one off his rack and knocked the $#^* out his his toolbox with it then handed it to me! The dude is crazy, but I don't worry about them quite as much as I did before that little demo Seriously though, those guys hunt vertical, rocky country almost always. When they aren't building rifles they are guiding in that same country for Coues, Elk or somewhere else chasing sheep. The CF builds hold up as good or better than anything according to them. It's been my experience as well when compared to blued or cerakoted steel. CF stocks will take a lick as well.
                                Nice, good to know!

Comment

Working...
                                X